Bell TV 9242 HD PVR Discussion thread - Page 142 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2011-11-30, 04:54 PM   #2116
Pinza
Veteran

Yes they are dirtroad. They are arriving from NESA with just about anything you can imagine in their heads. SW21, SW44, DPP Twin, DPP44, even SCD-2P3E, on occasions.

I always recommend to my Techs, to run a "Check Switch" with NOTHING connected at the Sat Inputs, as you know, that puts the Receiver back to a default setting using 13v & 18v for Legacy.

There have been occasions, where a receiver set for DPP has blown an LNBF or SW21/44, because it is sending out just over 22v.

If it really is "new", then you should run the "Check Switch" and then it should ask if you have finished aiming, you choose yes and it downloads Bell Software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-30, 04:56 PM   #2117
dirtroad

John Campbell,
Quote:
Free PVR........ ........they will replace it with a new 9241 for free without contract with a 3 year warranty...... ....The 9242 is no longer made according to him.
I think what he is telling you is you are going to get a free 9241 rental which will be yours after 3 years, but will go back to them if you quit before 3 years.
The 9242 is being given out to people who had 9200's on the Mpeg4 exchange.
Old 2011-11-30, 05:19 PM   #2118
Pinza
Veteran

There are still a considerable amount of 9242's around for New Customers too.

I saw 2 huge pile in a warehouse only this morning.
Old 2011-11-30, 11:06 PM   #2119
John Campbell
Rookie

Not sure what the difference is if I am not paying for it. I never used the PIP feature on the 9242 anyway. I own the 9242 so I can do what i want with it-fix it, toss it or sell it. There is no requirement to return it.
If the 9241 is a piece of junk then I will get a refurb 9242. I am willing to give the new machine a try anyway.
Old 2011-11-30, 11:51 PM   #2120
Nuje
Veteran

The new 9242 we put in our bedroom has a really noisy fan; you can hear it as soon as you walk into the room. Has anyone disconnected the fan on a 9242?

Does the 9200 have a similar fan arrangement near the hard drive? I'm thinking of doing a swap if the fans are compatible.
Old 2011-12-01, 12:08 AM   #2121
WestCDA

I've got both a 9200 (currently waiting on the 9242 swap) and an existing 9242. Neither one has a noisy fan. I haven't compared the size or mounting arrangements, but the 9200 does have a chassis fan as well. I wouldn't recommend running one without it - heat is the enemy of all electronics, and the HD in these produces a considerable amount.
Old 2011-12-01, 01:01 AM   #2122
kandkt

Quote:
The new 9242 we put in our bedroom has a really noisy fan; you can hear it as soon as you walk into the room. Has anyone disconnected the fan on a 9242?
How hot is your system running? I have 2 - 9242's and the only time I ever hear the fan on them is when the receivers are re-booted - the fans kick in for a few seconds.

My suspicion is that the 9242 needs more airflow. Is it in a cabinet or in the opened? If in a cabinet, I would get a laptop cooler and install under the receiver.

As WestCDA mentioned, heat is an electronics killer.

Kevin
Old 2011-12-01, 03:12 PM   #2123
jimmyl

Can't keep it. They billed me $500 some odd dollars for the unit because I didn't return it. I called to explain, but they told me to return it. I'm just waiting for the info on where to send it.
Old 2011-12-02, 01:14 AM   #2124
Nuje
Veteran

Quote:
How hot is your system running? I have 2 - 9242's and the only time I ever hear the fan on them is when the receivers are re-booted - the fans kick in for a few seconds.
My suspicion is that the 9242 needs more airflow. Is it in a cabinet or in the opened? If in a cabinet, I would get a laptop cooler and install under the receiver.
As WestCDA mentioned, heat is an electronics killer.
It did that from the first second it was plugged in and continues to do so. It's in our bedroom, sitting open all by itself, and the bedroom is slightly warmer than a meat locker (we like to sleep in a cool room). So, I don't think it's heat.

I didn't even think to check my other 9242s (which are in a much more cooped up space, in a warmer room), and it's like you said - those fans, if they are on, are all but silent. Time for surgery, or a return.
Old 2011-12-02, 03:30 AM   #2125
maple360
Rookie

been also having issues with the 9242. just got the replacement from bell, but there is a problem now, when we hooked everything up, all that happened was one green light. after about 5 sec the green light turned off and a fan got load. the tv see's a signal but only a black screen is displayed. it stays like this if we hard reset or pull the plug. no lights are displayed when the fan is on. anyone have any ideas, or am i not doing something right. thanks
Old 2011-12-02, 05:48 AM   #2126
Pinza
Veteran

It does take some of them a long time from the Fans starting to the receiver acually booting, I had one yesterday that took 7 minutes of nothing but a Fan screaming away. Then it stopped, silence for 5 minutes, then a flash of dots on the TV and it slowly came to life. I thought it was dead.

Nevertheless, after all that we had Sat 119 on screen, ran Check Switch, cleared of the error screen said we were finished moving the Dish and it started downloading software.

All in all it took well over 45 minutes from plugging in to seeing a couple of barker channels. Then cam the next loss of 2 hours of my ife, calling Bell for a hit.

This guy had already done the Synchronize via the web site and the chat was down.

So at the end of the day, almost 3 full hours from start to finish.

Wish I had been working, I would have been paid to stand around talking about the weather.....lol
Old 2011-12-02, 10:11 AM   #2127
habfan777
Rookie

Default Bell 9242 issue

Two weeks ago my 9242 receiver lost its signal and then went into the much publicized re-booting mode. Called Bell and the CSR attempted the usual "restore your signal" remedies, but to no avail. I was promised a $20 reduction in my December bill and advised that a replacement 9242 would be shipped immediately. Seven days later it arrived, and as reported by others on this Forum, the replacement turns out to be a dud. It flashed green , started to reboot, and died. Contacted Bell, and the CSR quickly advised that "another" 9242 would be sent out. In the interim my original 9242 has come back to life and has helped greatly in alleviating my frustration with these refurbished clunkers. Surely if this is a growing problem, why isn't Bell trying to solve it, rather than performing "band-aid" surgery.
Old 2011-12-02, 06:58 PM   #2128
jumpy27
Veteran

Does the 9242 use less power when turned off? My understanding is the fan and hard drive spin 24/7 whether the power is off or on. Thanks.
Old 2011-12-02, 07:10 PM   #2129
Gino Cerullo

Technically, the power is on all the time whether the unit is sending a video signal to the TV or not otherwise it would not be able to perform the function of recording programming when unattended.

One day, when these devices come equipped with solid-state drives they will no longer consume as much power as they do today but that day is a long way off as solid-state drives are still very expensive.
Old 2011-12-04, 01:47 PM   #2130
mimihaskell
Rookie

Default 9242 receiver's fan is on non-stop!

Our receiver's fan is on non-stop the last few weeks. We get a message on the tv once in a while that it's basically overheating, then freezes. We have to unplug it.
Also, either tuner 1 or 2 won't work, so we would have to switch back and forth.
It's always been in an open area.
For recording shows; its all screwy and records sometimes or not at all.
The fan runs even with turning the power off from the remote.

The only thing I can think of is that this started after I moved the location of the tv area, so unplugging the cables, plugging them back in, etc. But, I've moved my living room around so many times!

Anybody have any ideas? Advice, suggestions? Thanks!

Amy

Tags
bell 9242, caller id, mts, problem