CNET Editor wishes HD-DVD to Surrender by September - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2007-02-21, 12:25 PM   #61
Michel

Cnet as well put HD players on their list of not to buy yet....along with Vista..
Advertisement

Old 2007-02-21, 01:32 PM   #62
Bdub

I was really hoping that Sony would fall on its face with Bluray, but I think the gig is up for HD DVD.

I believe that HD DVD is the better format, but with the upswing in Bluray sales, I don't think Disney or Fox will support both formats now. Added to that is the complete silence from the HD DVD front.

Shouldn't we have street dates and box art for big titles like Matrix and Bladerunner to keep us interested? We basically have nothing. Now is a bad time to have no buzz around your competing format.

Of course, if Disney does decide to support both formats, my predictions are out the window.
Bdub is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 02:05 PM   #63
pavesk8

I've got the xbox 360 addon. I will buy a PS3 when it costs $400 Cdn. My opinion is that the quality of movies offered on HD-DVD is currently better than Blu-ray simply because overal Universal has made better movies than Sony Pictures Studios and Fox. For me HD-DVD just has better movies available. So i'm happy.
Old 2007-02-21, 02:12 PM   #64
james99

WB has few titles coming out due to their developement of the THD format.

Once that's up and running you'll see the big titles. THD is scheduled for the summer but that may mean the Fall, who knows.
james99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 02:23 PM   #65
cyclocommuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin940 View Post
Nobody pays attention to AOL finance when deciding gadgets. Investment maybe, but gadgets, no way. It's such a small percentage it's insignificant. And I am not just talking people like us, I am talking regular joes/joannes, av-philes, geeks, gift givers etc.

Cal
Yeah no one pays attention to AOL Finance unless their "gadget related" article was linked to from a popular Gadget site such as Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/f...now-238213.php
cyclocommuter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 02:24 PM   #66
Bdub

I have the 360 add on as well, so I haven't invested too much in HD DVD.

The other day I was considering buying Superman The Movie on HD DVD, but will wait for the inevitable THD.

Again, I wish that HD DVD had given Sony a greater run for their money (our money, actually), but unless they have a major offensive up their sleeve, it seems to be done.
Bdub is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 03:16 PM   #67
PrimeBane
Veteran

Well, WB should be releasing it's March/April HD-DVD release schedule soon... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
PrimeBane is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 04:30 PM   #68
lapopal

A tad off topic but the relevance is in bold...

"Nintendo Wii Tops PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 in January (Update1)
By Michael White

Feb. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co.'s Wii outsold Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 during January as consumers bought 436,000 of the video-game consoles.

Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 was the second-most purchased machine with sales of 294,000, followed by PlayStation 3 with 244,000, Credit Suisse analyst Heath Terry said today in a report, citing NPD Group Inc. data.

Wii is outselling PlayStation 3 by almost 2-to-1, the report said. Consumers have been attracted to Wii's price, at half the cost of the least-expensive PlayStation 3, and a wireless controller that can be swung like a bat or tennis racquet during play.

Both Wii and PlayStation 3 were introduced in November as competitors to the Xbox 360, which was released in 2005. Wii's $250 price tag compares to $499 and $599 for the PlayStation 3. The Xbox 360 sells for $299 and $399.

Wii sales fell from 604,000 units in December, the smallest drop of the three consoles, Terry wrote. The Xbox 360 had the biggest decline, dropping from 1.13 million units while PlayStation 3 sales declined from 491,000.

PlayStation 3 includes a Blu-ray DVD player that allows users to watch movies in a high-definition format, in addition to playing games. Production snags with the player created supply problems during the holiday shopping season, forcing Sony to concede market share to Wii."

PS3 is in serious trouble IMO. PS3 are rotting on store shelves while Wii's are hard to come by.

So IMO those that do have the PS3's allready are buying movies and its way to early to decide Blue Ray has won, if sales are indictive of Blue Ray's success then they are heading for a slump in movie sales.

Last edited by lapopal; 2007-02-21 at 04:38 PM. Reason: point.
lapopal is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 06:27 PM   #69
eimaj

GO HD DVD! LOVE MY A2!
eimaj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 07:42 PM   #70
calvin940
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapopal View Post
A tad off topic but the relevance is in bold...

<SNIP>

So IMO those that do have the PS3's allready are buying movies and its way to early to decide Blue Ray has won, if sales are indictive of Blue Ray's success then they are heading for a slump in movie sales.
Consoles sales quotes definitely off topic for this thread, but even taking the point about PS3 sales drops, Blu-ray sales were still increasing during this "slump". This may well go towards squashing the notion that blu-ray movies sales increase were just a result of curious interest for new console buyers (certainly so if the sales of PS3's dropped, but the blu-ray discs increased.

Now back to the topic at hand...

Cal
calvin940 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 07:45 PM   #71
calvin940
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclocommuter View Post
Yeah no one pays attention to AOL Finance unless their "gadget related" article was linked to from a popular Gadget site such as Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/f...now-238213.php

Honestly, I still don't think it's that big a deal being linked from Gizmodo. But anyhow, it's certainly not "good" for HD in general. As always, the average person get's to decide what the rest of us can have. Pretty tiring indeed.

Cal
calvin940 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 09:09 PM   #72
Boduho

James, you kill me. Now we're not supposed to take the numbers seriously because it's the "off season?" And you're still holding on the the UMD effect? I don't get people who insist the PS3 won't matter, and then when it clearly does, say it won't last.

Have you even looked at the movies being released during the month of Feb? 24 BD and a whopping 7 HD. If you're thinking of jumping into the next gen DVD format you can buy HD and have ONE exlcusive movie...are you ready? Hollywoodland. Can you hear the stampede of people running to their local Best Buy?

Jan's releases were 24-12 in favour of BD. Feb is 27 - 7, Mar is 15 - 8. Why can't the HD crowd understand that those are the ONLY numbers that matter. I'm still open to the idea that both formats will fail, but who in their right mind would buy a format that has half as many titles coming out as the the other format?
Boduho is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 10:03 PM   #73
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapopal View Post
PS3's are not rotting on store shelves, this is FUD. Case and point, many vendors upped the price and are still selling them out. Try to find one online for the fun of it...

In any case, we all know PS3's are not doing as well as anticipated as a gaming console thanks in large part to the Wii (which is hurting XBOX-360 sales too as you can see with it having the largest decline). Despite all of this BD is doing fabulously well as a next gen DVD format...
U is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 10:28 PM   #74
james99

You guys are funny.
james99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-21, 11:02 PM   #75
U

Glad to be of service James...
U is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.