CNET Editor wishes HD-DVD to Surrender by September - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2007-02-19, 02:08 PM   #46
james99

The PS3 is not a superior gaming machine. Even if it was, it has nothing to do with this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-02-19, 02:20 PM   #47
QuickSilver

Lets get back on topic...no need to compare the PS3 processing power for games to the 360...it has been done to death.
Old 2007-02-19, 09:21 PM   #48
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post
Don't believe the hype!!! Especially from Sony (other BD partners have been more reasonable). Sony has declared the war over twice in the last month like saying so makes it true.
Not that you don't have a point but the topic is about a CNET editor, this has nothing to do with Sony...

Quote:
The way I see it the formats are at parity right now. BD has taken the lead in Movies available (which considering the studio support I am suprised it took that long). BD disc sales are stronger right now. However I doubt the sales per title are stronger than HD DVD. In standalone hardware the FS and BB I have questioned HD DVD is way ahead.
The current sales rank on Amazon:

The Departed: BD=25, HD-DVD=39
Babel: BD=136, HD-DVD=147

BD has 3 in the top 100, HD-DVD has one... Nothing scientific but the best I could find.

Quote:
I resent the HD should surrender comments. HD has provided me an in to HD movies that BD hasn't. I will not buy a PS3 and have been enjoying HD for months when BD did not have it's act together. At a cheaper price I got the movies I wanted in superior quality with advanced codecs and full specs. Those specs are 1)advance audio 2)In Movie Experience from the begining 3) Many extras from the beginning 4) Dual layer discs 5) Advanced Video Codecs.
If it weren't for HD I would still be on the sidelines and would be for many years to come.
No doubt that HD-DVD has some positives but my PS3 has provided with much of the same things and it plays games too... On new titles PQ, extras etc. is pretty much a wash between the two formats. Do you own a BD player as well?

Quote:
As far as who is winning it also has to be seen what the goals of the two sides where at the start. BD planned on dominating the format and killing HD before it even got out. This has been a failure even now. HD wanted to survive and carve out a niche for itself. I would say they have done this and more.

I have a 40+ HD DVDs and a player but consider myself format nuetral. I don't care the brand just what gives me what I want. HIGH QUALITY MOVIES AND REASONABLE PRICED STANDALONES. Only one camp has offered that.
Well you don't sound so neutral to me... Really who is, I certainly am not. I have about 15 BD discs now since I got my PS3 in December. I'm building slowly but surely mostly on new titles. I refuse to buy stuff I already own on DVD... Ok... When LOTR comes out I'll cave...
Old 2007-02-20, 02:00 AM   #49
Setitie

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
Ok... When LOTR comes out I'll cave...
Hopefully it will not come out in BD, God would that be a kill joy for BD fans!
Old 2007-02-20, 08:50 AM   #50
mfabien
Veteran

In the next months, there will be a stand alone HD DVD player manufactured in China or Taiwan (Amoi Electronics and Sichuan Changhong Electric). It will sell for a few dollars.

Consumers who wish to buy a DVD player will have a choice between a standard player and this new HD DVD player with very few dollars in price difference.

This HD DVD player will have Composite, S-Video inputs for non HD TV plus Component and HDMI inputs (all inputs currently existing on my HD-A1). So the player will be used for DVD and DVD/HD DVD combo disks until the consumer replaces his standard TV for an HDTV. Therefore, expect this "Chinese" HD DVD player to be an item for the mass public throughout the world.

And this is old news (Sept. 2005):

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=15126
Old 2007-02-20, 12:38 PM   #51
calvin940
Veteran

I read somewhere that Funai will be making a budget Blu-Ray player. Don't remember where, when or how much it will be.

Cal
Old 2007-02-20, 02:04 PM   #52
adit

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin940 View Post
I read somewhere that Funai will be making a budget Blu-Ray player. Don't remember where, when or how much it will be.

Cal
here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/12910...l?tk=nl_dnxnws
Old 2007-02-20, 02:31 PM   #53
Hoowaa

500 U.S is not a budget player from my vantage point.

I'd still buy a PS3.
Old 2007-02-20, 03:42 PM   #54
calvin940
Veteran

Ya, I had not heard of any details, just that a "budget" version was being made. Indeed, if it is $500, then should definitely get a PS3 over it if they were considering.

Hopefully the price would be lower than speculated, otherwise it's not terribly good news.

Cal
Old 2007-02-20, 03:49 PM   #55
mfabien
Veteran

Toshiba will introduce the HD-A20 shortly for $ 599 with 1080p output, so, any guesses on a basic 1080i output by the Chinese?

If Value Electronics in NY can sell the XA1 at $499 presently (produced in Japan), what would something like an A2 sell for if coming from Taiwan or mainland China?

Again I say the future of High Definition player rests with making a player irresistible to the masses by making it future proof and quite affordable. To that end, it is easier to achieve with HD DVD than with BD because of the difference in technology.
Old 2007-02-20, 10:12 PM   #56
eightninesuited

I think the future of High def rests with movies that people want to buy.

Right now, HD DVD is in HUGE trouble because there's not many exclusive new releases that they can offer compared to what Blu-ray can. And we're seeing this reflected in the sales.
Old 2007-02-20, 11:23 PM   #57
james99

Comparing sales numbers in the off-season is pointless especially since we don't know if the PS3 is having the umd-effect or not.

Both formats are selling badly. This is like saying Italy was the winner in the Italy/Ethiopa war.
Old 2007-02-21, 05:47 AM   #58
mfabien
Veteran

... but HD DVD's are becoming more and more available to rent!
Old 2007-02-21, 08:45 AM   #59
cyclo

>Both formats are selling badly. This is like saying Italy was the winner in the Italy/Ethiopa war.

This is probably the reason why articles like this (AOL Money Finance) puts Hi Def DVD Players in number 1 of its list of Top Five Gadgets you shouldn't buy (PS3 is # 2). Not that members of digital home should pay attention to what AOL Finance says but these articles definitely won't help the cause of achieving mass High Def DVD adoption.
Old 2007-02-21, 09:47 AM   #60
calvin940
Veteran

Nobody pays attention to AOL finance when deciding gadgets. Investment maybe, but gadgets, no way. It's such a small percentage it's insignificant. And I am not just talking people like us, I am talking regular joes/joannes, av-philes, geeks, gift givers etc.

Cal