CNET Editor wishes HD-DVD to Surrender by September - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2007-02-18, 07:02 PM   #31
Marco23

Interesting enough I'm using a CRT at 1080i and watched a movie which would display in this resolution, however I too have not seen a wow factor but I did notice that there is a difference between dvd and blu ray. Now honestly my tv is probably cabable of upto 1280x760 lines of res, so I'm not seeing the full benefit of 1920x1080 + HDMI @ 1080p with all these i'm sure my blu ray ps3 player will give me the wow factor. (I hope anyway)

So my question am I not seeing 1080i on my set at all with the PS3? ANd am I understanding this correctly that I will not see a difference between 1080i and 1080p unless my hdmi connection changes from component and a new tv with higher true HD resolution as stated above?
Marco23 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-02-18, 07:22 PM   #32
U

I just don't get these PS3 arguments. I do agree that there are not that many good games on the platform and a lot of people, myself included, bought one with the intent of using it it primarily for movie watching. This being said, I don't understand the logic that says people will shy away from Blu-ray when good games come around. Are we saying that all of a sudden these guys will switch back to buying DVDs or something?
U is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-18, 07:26 PM   #33
Marco23

I agree with U, your either into high def or not, having both is ok, and not playing a game to watch a movie or vice versa will and can always happen. As far as hd dvd standalone or a PS3 with blu ray, well I rather have both on one system more choice for me, plus I want the studio support for more choice. As for games it will take time I'll just wait.
Old 2007-02-18, 07:30 PM   #34
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogen View Post
If Sony claims 70% PS3 owners will use it as a BD player at the same time as for the 360 add-on it is about 7% - it is the same as claiming two plus two is five.
I just thought of something... Assuming you are right and only 7% of PS3 owners use their console for BD watching that would mean that it would be the equivalent of 70,000 standalone players only (assuming 1M PS3s sold). If that's the case wouldn't it mean that the amount of movies purchased by player would be significantly higher on BD compared to HD-DVD given the latest disc sales numbers?

Just thinking out loud...
U is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-18, 07:49 PM   #35
jvincent

Quote:
If that's the case wouldn't it mean that the amount of movies purchased by player would be significantly higher on BD compared to HD-DVD given the latest disc sales numbers?
In theory it would, but the sales numbers for the movies don't back that up yet.

This is why there has been such a big debate about Sony's claims about how many people are seriously using the PS3 as a BluRay player.
jvincent is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-18, 09:53 PM   #36
Nanuuk
Veteran

My son has a PS3 attached to my TV. We have purchased 4 BD and all I can say is that I am very, very impressed with the technology. i look forward to more titles and hope the price drops.
Nanuuk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-19, 11:15 AM   #37
JohnnyG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
This being said, I don't understand the logic that says people will shy away from Blu-ray when good games come around. Are we saying that all of a sudden these guys will switch back to buying DVDs or something?
Because any person's time in front of the TV that's connected to the PS3 is limited - either by comfort, interest, or by time itself. My FiancÚ's son plays XBOX 360 in his room from after dinner 'til bedtime almost every night. When he does watch a movie, he uses the main TV in the family room, despite the fact that he can watch a DVD on the 360.
JohnnyG is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-19, 11:23 AM   #38
JohnnyG
Veteran

Let us not forget too that the "PS3 effect" will be tempered by 2 things: the release of the DTS "fix" for the existing 360 add-on (leading to another sales surge), and the release of the revised 360 system. If the revised 360 has HDMI, plays HD DVD out-of-the-box, and at least matches the PS3 price, it's going to make all this that much more interesting! It'll make the PS3 a very tough sell.
Old 2007-02-19, 11:31 AM   #39
JohnnyG
Veteran

Just to complete my thoughts on this topic (for now)...how many people have BOTH a PS2, XBOX, or XBOX 360 *and* a standalone DVD player attached to the same TV?

From my own experiences visiting homes to calibrate displays, the number is 100%.
Old 2007-02-19, 11:36 AM   #40
nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG
If the revised 360 has HDMI, plays HD DVD out-of-the-box
Except it won't play HD-DVD out of the box. The revised XBox simply has an HDMI port, is black, has a 120Gb drive, and has a newer, quieter DVD drive. (not that it's not a nice upgrade! )

Not taking sides in this argument, I'm staying platform agnostic for now, but I can't see the new XBox360 SKU having any real impact on HD-DVD or BD either way.
Old 2007-02-19, 11:41 AM   #41
JohnnyG
Veteran

Have the specs been announced?
Old 2007-02-19, 11:52 AM   #42
nathan

I belive SKU's are starting to show up...but I'm not speaking from personal experience. There's no specific mention of an HD-DVD drive included. And Microsoft in the past has made mention of the fact that you're not forced into buying the next generation format if you don't want to, so I don't see them adding it until it doesn't significantly add to the price of the console...which right now, isn't possible.
Old 2007-02-19, 12:31 PM   #43
CalgaryCowboy

Don't believe the hype!!! Especially from Sony (other BD partners have been more reasonable). Sony has declared the war over twice in the last month like saying so makes it true.

The way I see it the formats are at parity right now. BD has taken the lead in Movies available (which considering the studio support I am suprised it took that long). BD disc sales are stronger right now. However I doubt the sales per title are stronger than HD DVD. In standalone hardware the FS and BB I have questioned HD DVD is way ahead.

I resent the HD should surrender comments. HD has provided me an in to HD movies that BD hasn't. I will not buy a PS3 and have been enjoying HD for months when BD did not have it's act together. At a cheaper price I got the movies I wanted in superior quality with advanced codecs and full specs. Those specs are 1)advance audio 2)In Movie Experience from the begining 3) Many extras from the beginning 4) Dual layer discs 5) Advanced Video Codecs.
If it weren't for HD I would still be on the sidelines and would be for many years to come.

As far as who is winning it also has to be seen what the goals of the two sides where at the start. BD planned on dominating the format and killing HD before it even got out. This has been a failure even now. HD wanted to survive and carve out a niche for itself. I would say they have done this and more.

I have a 40+ HD DVDs and a player but consider myself format nuetral. I don't care the brand just what gives me what I want. HIGH QUALITY MOVIES AND REASONABLE PRICED STANDALONES. Only one camp has offered that.
Old 2007-02-19, 01:01 PM   #44
Marco23

Like every other new toy it takes time for prices to drop so with the advantage HD had no wonder comparing prices makes HD a better buy and the name, but in the end or a little later with time, prices will be cheaper for BD and HD will not be able to afford dropping the prices even more, meaning it will be a fair choice between the 2. The same goes for the players. Also many many people I know have no clue about HD making the hd dvd not any better for being around longer, people I know still buy HD and don't care about the quality as long as they can watch and enjoy a movie, I sort of agree but Im an enthusiast for this. In time and I mean years at this point will people consider what to buy therefore this war will be long and there will be no winner. In the end for this format war just buy what you want, in my case I didn't care about BD but I did care about PS3 so I bought ps3 and now I have a bd player which sony put in it, I'm actually happy about that. So I will be buying bd! As others are happy about what HD dvd is offering I like what ps3 offered me, example HDMI (1.3), 1080p bigger hard drive, nice look all in one package free online, what they didn't give me is upconversion.
Old 2007-02-19, 02:48 PM   #45
adit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
Let us not forget too that the "PS3 effect" will be tempered by 2 things: the release of the DTS "fix" for the existing 360 add-on (leading to another sales surge), and the release of the revised 360 system. If the revised 360 has HDMI, plays HD DVD out-of-the-box, and at least matches the PS3 price, it's going to make all this that much more interesting! It'll make the PS3 a very tough sell.
Why ? PS3 has about 2 times the processing power of XBOX360; It comes with an integrated Blu-Ray drive standard (so anybody buying it has a Blu-Ray drive, for XBOX it's an ad-on.So at the same price PS3 is a superior game machine comparing with XBOX360. This if we speak about games. If we speak about movies we are back to the most important point: ALL major studios except Universal support Blu-Ray.The writing is on the wall.
adit is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.