CNET Editor wishes HD-DVD to Surrender by September - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2007-03-29, 09:59 AM   #136
JohnnyG
Veteran

"Techies" are more likely to support Blu-ray if for no other reason then "bigger numbers". It's the "average guy" that's going to prefer HD DVD because he doesn't know what a "Blu-ray" is, but sure knows "DVD".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-03-29, 11:52 AM   #137
calvin940
Veteran

It's possible knowing "DVD" may actually hurt HD DVD.

"I already own a DVD, why should I get another form of DVD? This this Blu-ray thing is new technology? High def? I'll give it a try"

How successful is HDCD?

Cal
Old 2007-03-29, 02:06 PM   #138
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin940 View Post
It's possible knowing "DVD" may actually hurt HD DVD.

"I already own a DVD, why should I get another form of DVD? This this Blu-ray thing is new technology? High def? I'll give it a try"

How successful is HDCD?

Cal
Are you aware that most audiophiles, let alone J6P, have never had an encounter with the term "HDCD"? Definitely not a good analogy.
Old 2007-03-29, 02:26 PM   #139
SensualPoet
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642

It will come down to market share, shelf space and pricing. There probably isn't a burning reason for both formats to survive 2009 -- or perhpas even 2008. Havnig a player which reads both formats helps but if the premium is significant, few will buy it.

When the players drop to the $299 range then you'll see a lot more interest. As it is, $499 isn't a bad start. And suppose one of the formats starts releasing disks consistently under $20 except for the most recent blockbusters which, even in DVD, run closer to $30 ....

As fas as I can see at the moment, availability of disks and players is about the same, with a slight hardware price advantage to HD DVD. But that could be erased with a single press release if a strategist at Sony, for example, decided to sell the players at $249 as a loss leader.

Did I see a couple of press releases this week outlining quite a number of new HD DVD titles coming over the next three months? That would be good news.
Old 2007-03-29, 03:48 PM   #140
JonO

SensualPoet - as much as I agree that price is a driving factor, the other significant factor is studio support. I personally do not care which format wins, but more of the titles I would like to own are Blu Ray exclusives rather than HD DVD exclusives. Therefore, I will wait until Blu Ray reaches the price I want to spend rather than buy an HD DVD player now.

A lot depends on how stubborn Universal will be (I think I got that right) since we all know how stubborn Sony will be
Old 2007-03-29, 04:01 PM   #141
calvin940
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
Are you aware that most audiophiles, let alone J6P, have never had an encounter with the term "HDCD"? Definitely not a good analogy.
I thought that it kinda proved my point about the name. Naming it HD <something we are already familiar with> didn't do anything for it.

Of course I could be missing something in your comment. If so, explain.

Cal
Old 2007-03-30, 04:04 PM   #142
Arthur Dent
Veteran

The difference is that 99.999% of consumers never heard the word "HDCD", while 99% already have heard "HD DVD".
Old 2007-03-30, 04:46 PM   #143
U

99%! give me a break... What's your source exactly? If anything Blu-Ray is better known because of the millions of PS3's deployed.

As if this battle of the formats will be decided on the name anyway...
Old 2007-03-30, 04:56 PM   #144
hockeymancw

I think you would be lucky to get 50%. I just don't see the average person that has digital cable or a basic dish being interested in this yet. Once HDTVs are in more households and you see them in rental stores, you might get to 99%.
Old 2007-03-30, 04:56 PM   #145
Arthur Dent
Veteran

I agree that the war will not be decided by the names, but the advantage there (albeit small) goes to HD DVD.
Old 2007-03-30, 06:42 PM   #146
Beef

A question for james99...this is an upfront-non-baiting-no-hidden-agenda-genuinely-curious question:

Everyone knows from your postings that you heavily favour HDDVD, but in reading your setup, you are in the objective position of owning both formats. So the question, is, why are you so much in favour of one over the other, even in the face of your choice steadily declining in market-share? Isn't it true that the actual content is identical? i.e. one shouldn't look or sound any better on one or the other. Is it just a hate-on for Sony?
Old 2007-03-30, 06:59 PM   #147
james99

Based upon everything I have read, the same movie is the same quality for both formats. Once THD comes out, I won't have to choose between them.

HD DVD came out first and I was a firm supporter of the format long before studios started picking camps. It is the official HD format as decided by the DVD Forum. It doesn't make it better or worse just official. Sony had a chance to support one format but decided to go against the official standard.

Since Sony owns Movie Studios, BD only studios will continue. In a nutshell, I blame Sony for this war and only Sony.

We all know Sony likes to be different in almost everthing they do and it's getting annoying.

The BD camp is also very arrogant, which I hate as well. I don't respect their childish comments that you would expect to hear from grade school children.

Earn my respect, earn my $$.
Old 2007-03-30, 11:33 PM   #148
calvin940
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
The difference is that 99.999% of consumers never heard the word "HDCD", while 99% already have heard "HD DVD".
I did a quick poll of people around my office. 10 had heard of Blu-ray, 1 had heard of HD DVD and 5 had heard of neither. Certainly not a scientific poll by any stretch, but even with an unreasonable margin of error, definitely refutes your 99%.

And while I certainly also don't think the war will be decided on name, I was just offering a possible counter to the "DVD" being in HD giving it an advantage.

Cal
Old 2007-03-31, 12:39 AM   #149
JohnnyG
Veteran

Try this:

First ask "have you heard of (Blu-ray/HD DVD)?"

If they answer yes, then ask "can you explain what it is?"

If they answer no, then ask "what do you think it might be?"
Old 2007-03-31, 12:51 PM   #150
aquamarine

I don't know of encryption cracking status now but I would assume that being able to crack copyright encryption will help one side to win this "war". As it stands now I can see neither format surviving and what we will end up with is several HD disc standards much like we did with SD-DVDs. If a company wants to survive then they will have to be compliant with all formats.

Just imo.