CNET Editor wishes HD-DVD to Surrender by September - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2007-02-17, 09:32 PM   #1
cyclo

Default CNET Editor wishes HD-DVD to Surrender by September

Interesting item on CNET... Perhaps not wanting another repeat of the SACD/DVD-A debacle... CNET editor predicts, more like wishes, that HD-DVD would just bow out, for the sake of the survival of HD format itself.

Check out item #4: Seven tech predictions for '07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-02-17, 10:27 PM   #2
Setitie

Red face

Well at least my HD-A2 upconverts normal DVD movies, so it's not a COMPLETE loss.
Old 2007-02-17, 10:33 PM   #3
james99

Since Sony is to blame for the format war, let the games begin.

This may be a war but it's between 2 third world countries.

Sales figures that Sony is boasting about are for the off-season. Plus the PS3 could be benefitting from the UMD-effect.

It's comical Sony will make movies for the UMD but not HD DVD.
Old 2007-02-17, 10:36 PM   #4
eightninesuited

How is Sony to blame for the format war when Blu-ray was in development before HD DVD was?
Old 2007-02-17, 10:41 PM   #5
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

It's more comical to make statements that Sony is solely to blame for the format war. There are a lot of people and companies to blame for this.

If anything, both sides of the format war are to blame for not coming to a non-exclusive format similar to the agreement that was reached for the introduction of the DVD. And we all know how well that turned out for EVERYONE. Resolving this format war stands to make the same benefits again.

BTW, David Carnoy who wrote the original CNET article referenced in Post #1, wrote a follow-up article explaining his "prediction" that HD-DVD will surrender to Blu-Ray:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6690707-1.html

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-02-17 at 10:49 PM.
Old 2007-02-17, 11:05 PM   #6
thecooldude

Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits said all this on Thursday and added more on Friday.

I as well am sick of this war and simply want it to end. Since Blu-ray is in the lead by a long shot it makes sense to hope that HD-DVD will bow out soon and end this ridiculous war.

Bill Hunt says it best on The Digital Bits. Check it out.
Old 2007-02-17, 11:28 PM   #7
diogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldude
Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits said all this on Thursday and added more on Friday.
From his Friday's notes:

" A surprising number of retailers and industry insiders expressed relief that we had finally said what they WANTED to say..."

I hope he was properly paid for his "analysis".

I'm sick of this war, too.
I'm even more sick of those "analysts" pretending to have discovered "the writing on the wall".

Diogen.
Old 2007-02-18, 09:52 AM   #8
U

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogen View Post
I hope he was properly paid for his "analysis".
Diogen.
Ah... Of course. If he would have concluded that, by some miracle, HD-DVD was going to come back, get support from all studios, regain its sales lead etc. then he would have been a saint.

Anybody saying anything good about Sony/Blu-ray is obviously on Sony's payroll...

At least I agree with you on one thing; I too am getting tired of this war. I hope Universal does the right thing soon.
Old 2007-02-18, 10:05 AM   #9
Beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
I hope Universal does the right thing soon.
Speaking purely from the scientific viewpoint (i.e the empirical data from credible sources), it's still too early to call, but the rapid trend to Blu-ray is undeniable. If we see the same thing in one, two and three months from now, I will be convinced the war is over.

I think the only way Universal will be able to save face will be to offer an amnesty program whereby people can return their HDDVD media for a Blu-ray version for the cost of the media (a couple bucks + S/H). All studios might want to look at that.
Old 2007-02-18, 10:12 AM   #10
Setitie

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
Ah... Of course. If he would have concluded that, by some miracle, HD-DVD was going to come back, get support from all studios, regain its sales lead etc. then he would have been a saint.

Anybody saying anything good about Sony/Blu-ray is obviously on Sony's payroll...

At least I agree with you on one thing; I too am getting tired of this war. I hope Universal does the right thing soon.
Would I be assuming that you mean by "I hope Universal does the right thing soon" that they should release titles in Blu-Ray? If that's what you mean, then shouldn't Sony and all other major studios "do the the right thing" and release all movies on both formats and let the buyer decide?
Old 2007-02-18, 10:18 AM   #11
Mole
Veteran

Though ethically I feel HD-DVD has the moral high ground here an Bill Hunt has also expressed similar views for years. I now do think that when I buy, and it is not going to be for a long time yet, that the chances are high that I will go Blu ray. But I really want to try to go a long as humanly possible with out buying either with the intent of punishing all of the parties involved.
Old 2007-02-18, 10:22 AM   #12
Nanuuk
Veteran

The CNET editor also had a follow up article as he apparently has been villified at various forums about his 'bias' towards Sony. Once I locate it again, I'll post the link.
Old 2007-02-18, 10:24 AM   #13
diogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by U
Ah... Of course. If he would have concluded that, by some miracle, HD-DVD was going to come back...
I'd gladly take a lesson in objective analysis. But you don't qualify as teacher, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by U
No. I don't think you get paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by U
At least I agree with you on one thing...
Then I definitely must have done something wrong...

Diogen.
Old 2007-02-18, 10:27 AM   #14
cyclo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuuk View Post
The CNET editor also had a follow up article as he apparently has been villified at various forums about his 'bias' towards Sony. Once I locate it again, I'll post the link.
I believe the post you are referring to has already been linked to by Cyclism above (post #5)...
Old 2007-02-18, 10:57 AM   #15
JohnnyG
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post
How is Sony to blame for the format war when Blu-ray was in development before HD DVD was?
That much is true, but it was developed outside of the DVD Forum and was originally an MPEG2-only recording system with no support for ROM discs. When the DVD Forum began to explore an HD sucessor to DVD, Sony et al tried to shove Blu-ray down their throat and refused to "explore" any kind of alternative of any sort. Since not all the members of the Forum had intellectual property interest in the Blu-ray format, they said "FU" and went on to develop HD DVD. There was *supposed* to be a format shoot-out of sorts, but the Blu-ray camp refused to participate.

One thing's for sure...today's Blu-ray is what it is because of HD DVD. Half the features that ended up in the standard weren't being considered until they were being considered for HD DVD. That includes AVC and VC-1 support, among many others.