Help finding a Name Brand region free DVD player - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

Old 2007-01-31, 01:59 PM   #1
xtrawidth

Default Help finding a Name Brand region free DVD player

I am currently in the market for a new dvd player, as my current JVC just gave up the ghost this week...

Trouble is, being an british ex-pat, I need something that will happily play all region discs, PAL or NTSC.

I bought the JVC from somewhere in Chicago, mail-order - though I don't particularly want to go that route again having been stung by UPS charges one too many times.

So I set about trying to find one in Canada. Seems nigh on impossible to get a reputable name brand...

Was looking for a Cambridge Audio player, as I'd read they were region free out of the box. No dealer can seem to agree on a price, or which models are current etc.

I called Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto, as they carry NAD's which I've also read are hackable or whatever. They certainly are all dual standard as in PAL & NTSC... When I asked the guy if they sold any players that could be region free, he told me to go to Yonge and Dundas... When I suggested the NADs they sell might be, he went away, came back, and told me they used to be, but now they're R1 only. I think he's a liar... It seemed like he was just like the sales assistants in Future Shop - the kind that resort to a product's manual for the answer to your question...

Finding these players is not that hard in the UK... Why is it proving so tough over here!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-31, 03:09 PM   #2
eljay
DHC Supporter

Numerous brand-name players can be made region-free with a simple "hack" that usually involves nothing more complicated than pressing a few buttons on the remote. (I have personally "liberated" my OPPO, a Yamaha, a Toshiba and a LG.)

Search this site for "region free hack", or visit VideoHelp.com/DVDhacks.
Old 2007-01-31, 03:11 PM   #3
xtrawidth

teh only issue with that is praying that the manufacturer hasn't updated their firmware to stop the hack...
Old 2007-01-31, 03:21 PM   #4
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

If you get the "hack" to work, then why would you then download and install the updated firmware if you are afraid it would stop it?
Old 2007-01-31, 03:23 PM   #5
xtrawidth

No you misunderstand...

Say a hack is posted on the web in Nov 2006, and the player is manufacturered in Jan 2007, there's a chance the firmware on the player already won't allow the hack anymore. right?
Old 2007-01-31, 03:26 PM   #6
eljay
DHC Supporter

Depending on the player you're eyeing, you may be able to get confirmation of the viability of a posted hack from another owner or from a discussion board. If you're planning to buy a player from a big-box store, you can simply return it if the hack doesn't work.
Old 2007-01-31, 03:27 PM   #7
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

True, but you can always check the firmware update site to see if they've implemented the Region free suppression or not and take the risk that the one you're buying was manufactured before the update.
Old 2007-01-31, 03:29 PM   #8

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Do a web search for a place called 220giftcenter for options...

If you decide you may wish to import, do NOT use UPS - they do ding you with lots of charges. Use USPS (the postal service). See the following thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19564
Old 2007-02-01, 07:54 AM   #9
sleemo

Go to videohelp.com, click on "dvd hacks". You'll find what you need in there.
Old 2007-02-03, 02:10 PM   #10
luch

I import a lot of dvds from the UK and Europe as well... so after a bit of research, ...I found this player:

Philips Progressive Scan 1-Disc DVD Player With DivX Ultra (DVP5140)

I picked it up at BB.

You can set the player to any region you want without any hacks. Perfect.

Cheers.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-02-03 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Retail link and discount pricing.
Old 2007-02-03, 03:33 PM   #11
luch

^ Well, I guess technically it's a hack, but it works nicely...

How to convert your Philips DVP5140
into a Multi Region DVD Player

Power Up the unit with NO Disc in the tray.
Open the tray
Press the SETUP Button on the remote control
Navigate to the PREFERENCES page using the Right Arrow Key
Press the DOWN ARROW one time to select
Press the 1 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 8 button on your remote control
Press the 9 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 1 button on your remote control
The current Region Code Setting will display
Use the UP/DOWN Arrow Keys to select the region required or '0' for All Regions
Press the PLAY Button on the remote control
NOTE - The 0 (zero) in the above sequence represents the Region Code 0 - Region Free. If you want to set to a specific region, just replace the 0 with the region number that you want.