Combination (Keyless) Door Locks - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Automation and Security

Old 2007-01-27, 04:44 PM   #1
wally434

Default Combination (Keyless) Door Locks

Does anyone have any experience with those combination locks that allow you to unlock your door by entering a number sequence instead of a key? I believe that Westlock and Schlage both make them.

They sound ideal. No more fumbling for a key, especially if your hands are full or you are in a hurry. Just press a series of numbered buttons and away you go.

I have visited a couple of different Home Depots to purchase one, and every box on the shelf has been taped closed, which means someone has returned it. Just wondering if there is some inherent flaw in the design that I should be aware of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-27, 06:16 PM   #2
congo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally434 View Post
I have visited a couple of different Home Depots to purchase one, and every box on the shelf has been taped closed, which means someone has returned it. Just wondering if there is some inherent flaw in the design that I should be aware of.
Maybe they have issues operating in sub-zero temperatures. Although the guts are inside the house. Maybe they're hard on batteries.
Old 2007-01-27, 07:07 PM   #3
kcbrk32

I wouldn't want to go with them based on my experience where I work. The keys stick and it can take several tries to get in. This is interior. Not good if the whether is miserable or you are trying to bring groceries in.

If they are battery operated, how do you get into your house if the battery dies?
Old 2007-01-27, 07:31 PM   #4
Bucky

We had one in our house for several years when we lived in north western Ontario. Cold weather was not a problem, and I remember several days and nights seeing -30 and colder. The mechanism is on the inside so it doesn't see the worst of the cold. The operating solenoid had lots of oomph to move the lock in the coldest weather. The lock has a low battery alarm that gives you a few days warning. There is a key lock on the mechanism that can be used if the battery fails. (I know it defeats the purpose, but I always carried a key just in case.) It was great for our kids who could not get the hang of not losing their keys.

On the down side, the lock did not match the profile of the one that was previously in the steel door, and some cutting was required. That was not fun. Stores don't stock many different finishes and it may be difficult to match the knob or latch you have now. I checked at Home Depot a couple of year ago when we moved to a new house, and all they had was the polished gold and antique brass models. There was not a match to the pewter finish our installed set had. I believe they do make several different finishes, but many of them are special order, and even then are not guaranteed to match what you have. You can buy the rest of the knob/latch hardware to match the finish, but there may be even more work to fit your door.
Old 2007-01-27, 10:53 PM   #5
Chevalde3

I have one on my side entrance door which is pure mechanical (no keys/batteries) with a 4 number 5 buttons combination. I live in a really cold region (50th parallel) and the door is on the dominant wind side. Really good stuff I got from the locksmith: KABA Ilco model 7002-03-41. Of course you need a regular lock on some other door in emergency.
Old 2007-01-28, 11:05 AM   #6

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Unless you get a door lock like a Medeco (there are some other high end brands which elude me right now) the deadbolt is almost useless against burglers. One quick kick or a screwdriver and they're in.

The deadbolt sticks out of the door an inch, however the bolt part that stays inside the door is often only 1/8" and then a very thin piece of metal takes over, instead of the full thickness of the bolt also being inside the door.

If you want security, stay away from the less expensive brands of bolt.

(Yes, if you have a determined burgler, he's going to get in, but each "inconvenience" you put in his way will move him on to another house and not yours:

- No small pieces of glass to break
- A good deadbolt
- An alarm system, and/or alarm system sign
- A dog, and/or beware of dog sign
- No expensive stuff (or car keys) on display, near entrance
- Lights on timers
- Etc.

Some of the combination locks are not deadbolts. If not, they're next to useless and not recommended.
Old 2007-01-28, 12:45 PM   #7
Dog Byte

The place I stay at Whistler has a 5 button mechanical version. Enter the code and turn the knob. Works fine but I have no idea what the brand is. It's not faster than using a key and it's not a deadbolt.
Old 2007-01-28, 05:12 PM   #8
dabell

The danger with the 5 button mechanical locks is the low number of combinations. With a 3 digit code there are only 60 possibilities and those can be tried in a couple minutes. Even with two buttons at once, then a couple numbers the possible codes are low ( ie 1 and 3 together, 4, 2).

I speak from experience working in offices with lots of these locks. Most doors can be entered in 5 min or less, faster if you know if it is 3 numbers, 2+1+1, 4 numbers.
Old 2007-04-04, 11:03 AM   #9
Phatboyc

I'm currently looking at these keyless bump proof deadbolts. The code on the ones I have seen ranges from 4 to 12 digits which is plenty for me. Ill make sure to check the quality of the deadbolt that stays inside of the door when locked. So far I have seen a Weiser Powerbolt 1000 at Homedepot and a Weiser/Kwikset made for Rona. Ranges between 127$ and 99$.

See my earlier post for pics.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...9&postcount=32
Old 2007-04-04, 12:04 PM   #10
vancouverisland

Home Depot advertised in a recent flyer a lock that opens based on your finger print .

There is a combination lock on our front door, but it doesn't work. It came with the house, we just use the key. What is apparent on this lock is considerable wear on a couple of digits. Likely the previous owner's code was 2233 or something like that. Pretty easy for someone to figure out....
Old 2007-04-04, 12:11 PM   #11
Phatboyc

I have seen these biometric fingerprint deadbolts. Very compact look. But I cant imagine removing my gloves in the winter to open the door. Also they are currently more expensive. Maybe in a few years...

Would you know what brand of keyless lock you have on your door?
Old 2007-04-04, 12:39 PM   #12
wally434

I posted the original question on keyless locks, and ended up buying two of them from the Home Depot website. They are made by Schlage. We are quite happy with them. They seem quite sturdy, have ten individual digits on the keypad that you can program with up to 19 different combinations. You can disable any one or all of them at any time, and change any of them if you notice the keypad starting to wear. The unit easily installed in place of the existing deadbolt lock, and also comes with a key, should the battery die (supposed to last 2 years and give you ample audible warning before it cuts out).
Old 2007-04-04, 01:36 PM   #13
Phatboyc

Is this the one you purchased wally434? It is a Schlage Plymouth Keypad Deadbolt With Turn-lock Feature at 150$. Needs a more expensive 9v battery but it seems to last longer than regular AA. The other locks claims only 1 year compared to your 2 years. Ill see tonight how it compares to the others.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Last edited by Phatboyc; 2007-04-04 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2007-04-04, 02:12 PM   #14
smnc

The thing to remeber about consumer grade fingerprint/biometrics is that they're REAL easy to fake if someone get your fingerprints (okay not likely to happen, but still...), and they're more susceptible to dirt/moisture/cold/heat than any other kind of lock.

If you're really interested in keyless locks, RFID is the way to go!
Old 2007-04-04, 03:59 PM   #15
vancouverisland

We have a Weisser combination lock, that doesn't work.

I would replace it but, couldn't be bothered.