Which cell phone provider is best in Ontario? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-01-19, 12:06 PM   #1
Canucker26

Default Which cell phone provider is best in Ontario?

I am with Telus right now, and thinking about going to a new phone company, I am currently using the old LG 4600, and love the phone never had problems with it. I am thinking about upgrading the phone as well to a Razor....wondering if anyone has thoughts on it, and what cell phone provider is best in Ontario. Telus, Fido, Rogers....I hate Bell lol.

What I want in a phone is good battery life, able to text message, and to be honest I love fun perks like picture display....if anyone can let me know what they think it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-19, 07:23 PM   #2
Paolo
Veteran

Wink

rogers is the best provider in ontario.

Get a phone with 850/1900, the motorola razr is quad band so it ALSO has 900/1800 for overseas operation.. All rogers phone do text, pictures, and nokias are known for good battery life (except 6133)

mods please lock this one up now, since its been answered and no further replies are necessary.
Old 2007-01-22, 01:28 PM   #3
Jayme

It depends what you want.

Telus:Best service worse hand set choices.

Rogers/Fido:Very good handset choice so so service.

Bell:So so on both counts.
Old 2007-01-22, 01:54 PM   #4
hugh
Member #1

You don't mention your monthly usage, what features you need and all the information required to make an intelligent choice.

Asking Which cell phone provider is best in Ontario? is like asking "what type of car or truck should I buy?" The answer varies widely depending on your needs.

My recommendation is to figure out what you need first and then ask your questions.
Old 2007-01-22, 05:41 PM   #5
Canucker26

Default My lord I hate Telus

They got me on that sign a new 3 year contract stuff and get a new phone, but I brought back the phone and they never told me I could get another so now I am stuck on a 3 year contract with a company that to me doesn't gives a rat's ass about their costumers!!!!
Old 2007-01-22, 08:17 PM   #6
hugh
Member #1

Did you do any homework before signing a 36 month contract?
Old 2007-01-23, 06:15 AM   #7
microft

Location: GTA, Toshiba 50HM66, SA8300HD, Sony BDP-S550, HK-AVR135, Klipsch RF25,15,RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker26 View Post
They got me on that sign a new 3 year contract stuff and get a new phone, but I brought back the phone and they never told me I could get another so now I am stuck on a 3 year contract with a company that to me doesn't gives a rat's ass about their costumers!!!!
Hmm. You signed a deal for 3 years, and took back the phone that you should have got a nice discount on, and didn't replace it with something else?

This makes no sense, getting a break on the phone is one of the main reasons people sign. Go back and get a phone you like.

WNP is right around the corner...why sign if you are not happy?
Old 2010-05-14, 02:27 AM   #8
hello_rakib
Rookie

Question Facing difficulties as a newbie

Hi..
I am new in Ontarion..Now looking to take a mobile phone to contact my home at Bangladesh. So which provider will be good for me? Someone told me about Koodo. But they dont have good handset and they are charging 35$/month of a 1 yr contract.
I need a service which allows me free international incoming calls (also some other international facilities if possible).
Can u help me out? My first prefernce is a Blackberry handset...

Thank you
Old 2010-05-14, 11:02 AM   #9
recneps77
Veteran

There are some new providers starting service this year, but their service range is lower than the "big 3" (who offer contracts and high rates )
Where in Ontario are you? Knowing this, we can provide you with all of your options.

As for international calling, nearly all cell carriers will charge you a lot for calling out. I believe incoming calls are treated the same as an incoming local call, however.
What I would do is register a local voip number with voip.ms and use DISA to call in to your number and then connect outward to the country of your choice. They list the per minute rates on their website. So on your cell it would be a local call (to voip.ms number) and then a few cents per minute out from there.
And there's a $1-2 a month charge for a voip number.
Old 2010-05-14, 01:33 PM   #10
hello_rakib
Rookie

I am in Platt's Ln, London ,Canada. But which provider will provide me good connection with reasonably good handsets?? And thanx for the tips to call international...
Old 2010-05-14, 04:05 PM   #11
jshel101
Veteran

If you are in Toronto, then Mobilicity has some unlimited LD packages to some international countries. They don't launch until tomorrow though.

Last edited by 57; 2010-05-14 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote removed. BTW, he's in London, per the above post
Old 2010-05-14, 10:04 PM   #12
recneps77
Veteran

In london it looks like you're stuck with Bell/Rogers/Telus/Koodo/Virgin

The new entrants aren't up and running there yet.
However, the use of VOIP for international calls may still save you some cash.
Old 2010-06-06, 02:11 PM   #13
Jonga007
Rookie

Default Bye bye rogers!!

After 3 and 1/2 years with Rogers, I finally canceled my service. They were screwing me for $60+ every month for 200 local minutes and evenings starting at 6:00 pm.

I live in Burlington, Any suggestions for what service providers should i go with.
Old 2010-06-06, 03:59 PM   #14
peano
Veteran

I have Telus. Superb customer service. I had Rogers previously and I was not happy with reception or customer service.

Telus even called me up one day and offered me more minutes and features for less money.

I will never, ever give Bell another cent after experiencing their customer service.
Old 2010-06-07, 10:07 AM   #15
outinthornhill

Unless this is a troll post, the first thing you need to do is spend a few minutes doing some on-line research. Unless you are loaded-up with extras, there is no way 200 minutes should cost $60 on any of the major carriers.

Living in Burlington, you are limited to the big three and Wind (the other newcomers aren't covering your home area, yet) and Wind is only a reasonable option if you seldom use your phone outside Wind's "home zone" (see their map for details).

Amongst the big three, there is really very little difference between coverage and prices, but you need to do your own planning and reasearch before you go to a corporate store or dealer. How much do you use your phone and when (weekdays ro weekends/evenings), what options do you need, how much LD do you need, are most of your calls to the same few (five) numbers, etc, and of course, do you need voice or voice and data; a phone or a smart phone; can you take advantage of any bundling discounts? You can take this information and your questions to three dealers, or go to a place like BestBuy that sells service for all three carriers and is more likely to advise you on the best plan and options to keep your cost under control. It's my personal prejudice, but I'd steer clear of dealerships and go to corporate-owned stores who, IMO, know their products better and will be less inclined to let their commission scale influence their recommendation.

Maybe it shouldn't have to be this complicated, but it is and it takes a bit of work to get the best price and no one can help you without knowing how and when you will use the phone. There is no "best carrier" but there may be a preferred carrier for your needs once you have inidicated what those are.