ATSC DVR & PVR Recorders (other than CM) - Page 22 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-10-08, 08:46 PM   #316
teamcaptain
Rookie

distox: does it record in the native mpeg2 format? and if it does, does it let you copy it to an external drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-10-09, 10:47 AM   #317
distox

Huh, what happened? I thought I started a new thread. Anyway. Okay, the guide data. I can find no place to enter either a zip code or postal code. In fact, in the "Country" column, Canada was not even there. Only US. At around 10 AM this morning I selected each channel and watched it for a few minutes. Then I brought up the guide and these are the results...

CBFT - No guide data
WCAX - 9 hours of guide
WPTZ - 9 hours of guide
CBMT - No guide data
CFTM - 18 hours of 1/2 hour blocks of 'Aucone information'
CFCF - 9 hours of guide
CKMI - No guide data
CIVM - 16 hours of guide but it seems to have errors like 3 times the same show of varying lengths adding up to 1 hour.
WVNY - 5 hours of guide
CIVS - 28 hours of guide (checked twice)
VPT - 27 hours of guide (checked twice)
CFJP - 7 hours of guide
WCFE - 9 hours of guide
CJNJ - No guide data

As you can see, all of the US channels have guide, but only some of the Canadian ones do. From the short period that I have had this unit, I think the guide data length varies depending on time of day. Maybe after a while, I will see a pattern develop.
Old 2011-10-09, 11:49 AM   #318
distox

Teamcaptain, yes it allows you to copy files to a PC. There are many ways. The quick way I did it was to connect to the DVR via a USB cable. This gave me access to the internal drive of the DVR just like any other USB drive. The internal drive of the DVR (not included) is formated NTFS. From there, I just copied the rather large files to my PC. The files have an extension of .tp. I renamed them to .ts and was able to play with just about anything that supports that type of video and audio. It looks to be MPEG2 with AC3 5.1 on the ones I tried.
Old 2011-10-17, 03:09 PM   #319
superbigjay
Rookie

Hello Distox,

I'm very interested in this M6620n, since it might do everyhting I'm looking for...

Quote:
yes it allows you to copy files to a PC. There are many ways
Do you know if it is possible to have a permanent setup where you can access the HD content of the M6620n from the PC, but via the network?
That way, Files could be moved to another harddrive or even accessed directly by another PC or media player attached to that network without having to connect/disconnect any cable?

Quote:
From there, I just copied the rather large files to my PC. The files have an extension of .tp. I renamed them to .ts and was able to play with just about anything that supports that type of video and audio. It looks to be MPEG2 with AC3 5.1 on the ones I tried
So basically, the recording could be played directly from a PC or even a mediaplayer like a patriot boxoffice or wdtv without having to convert them to another video format (only have to rename the file)?

Does the device support time-shifting? (pause the programmed currently watch live, to review some part that we might have missed, because ... nature called...)

Thanks for all the info
Jay
Old 2011-10-17, 03:16 PM   #320
superbigjay
Rookie

From the device description, it seems to support time-shifting...

Quote:
The M6620N offers user definable buffer size and live TV time-shifting, as well as scheduled recording.
Old 2011-10-17, 03:41 PM   #321
distox

Yes, yes, yes and (wait for it) ..... yes.
In some cases your don't even have to rename the file. Some players will play .tp files directly. Also, the time-shifting buffer does not flush when you change channels.
Old 2011-10-18, 12:29 PM   #322
superbigjay
Rookie

hmmm interesting... and tempting!

I already got the wife approbation.
I might order it through my business address in Plattsburgh to avoir any delay at custom. Ususally, stuff are transfered the nex day in our Dorval's office (near where you live I believe...)
Old 2011-10-26, 10:57 AM   #323
kris1

Default EyeTv and some thoughts

Hi,
The observations made by blueroomelectro are probably valid - I do not have a multiple tuner setup so I can not confirm or deny his observations.
The program ran for 3 weeks straight and then crashed when I started doing something in the setup. Not the original version though but the latest update.
The crash was not severe - Os X held its ground and I restarted EyeTv within 5 seconds.
Timer recording works!
The editing feature is awkward and terribly slow. The Elgato folks should get a Pioneer DVR and see real elegant editing - for now EyeTv copies the file somewhere else and takes a loooonnngggg time. It is hopeless.
The Tv guide - selecting the right channel from the pay for guide will also change the broadcast station number on the menu. So CityTv on 31.1 in London Ontario shows up as 51.1 on screen. Not good.

There is one really great thing about this kind of setup though - you can take it anywhere -INCLUDING THE ATTIC AND THE ROOF. I have managed to set up an antenna in the attic while using my laptop to tell me the signal strength! I find this feature really cool, the only problem is finding it in the menu.

Over all, blueroomelectro is right - it is a work in progress.

I will now try to update my SonicView 8000HD with HD05 software and see if OTA DVR works. For now the Elgato has bought me some time.

A real home entertainment device should be able to play DVDs, BluRay discs and record Tv - just like we used to with the VCR. Now, I know that no computer can play Blu-Ray discs, but a PS3 can, an LG Blu-Ray player can too. Plugging an Elgato Hybrid into one of those USB slots certainly would not be too much of problem....
Old 2011-11-02, 03:16 PM   #324
Schmerpy

Does anyone know an OTA PVR that has a first-class tuner in it?

I know the tuner in my CM7000PAL is mediocre. I know my 5 year old Toshiba tv tunes better. I know my dad's new Toshiba t.v. smokes then both. And I've read that the Tivo has a particularly crappy tuner.

Is anyone aware of an OTA PVR that uses a new, first rate tuner chip?
Old 2011-11-02, 03:19 PM   #325
poutanen

HTPC? The Hauppauge tuner cards seem to pull in channels equally as well as my Samsung TV, and significantly better than my old Sonicview HD8000...
Old 2011-11-02, 03:43 PM   #326
kris1

Default The 8000

The Sonicview 8000 is really good at pulling... your leg. First rate tuner? It would seem to me that we still have to find a real PVR first.
Old 2011-11-03, 01:38 AM   #327
realtek
Rookie

What about the CM 7400? Have they upgraded the tuner from the 7000?
Old 2011-11-10, 05:25 PM   #328
Jakeman3

Of the available OTA DVR products that are currently available what is the best solution for a simple recorder for OTA HD broadcasts? Is it worth waiting for the CM7400 or is there a better solution curretnly out there. The CM7000 doesn't seem to be getting very good feedback, the same with the Tivo for Canadians - and I'm definately not signing up for something that has ongoing fees...
Old 2011-11-10, 05:56 PM   #329
poutanen

Jakeman, my vote goes for an HTPC and here's why...

1) Most standalone OTA DVRs base their EPG on PSIP data which is sketchy at best. Sometimes you have a few hours or days of data, SOMETIMES it may go out to about 2 weeks. On the other hand, a Windows 7 MC based DVR downloads it's EPG from a 3rd party and you tend to have great EPG data out several weeks. I had a multiple tuner based solution and scheduled regular recordings as well as special ones and NEVER had an issue.

2) You can install multiple tuners and hook them to multiple antennae. This is particularly useful in Southern Ontario where Buffalo and Toronto may be in totally different directions, requiring two or more antennae to receive everything. With a single input DVR you are forced to either join antennas resulting in a loss, or you have to use a rotor. With an HTPC you can install multiple tuner cards and in Windows 7 Media Centre (and I'm sure Sage TV and others can support this too) you can select which channels are associated with specific tuners).

3) Networking... It is VERY nice to be able to have one PVR and multiple boxes to at least play off that PVR. There are multiple solutions out there to allow playback of recorded TV on other TVs in the same house, some of them very reasonable in price.

4) Storage: Some PVRs allow you to run an external drive, which is nice; however that requires buying an external drive (at a premium vs. internal) and it generally must be dedicated to the PVR. In my HTPC I've got a 1.0TB drive for my O/S, music, saved videos, etc. etc. etc., and another 1.5TB drive just for recorded TV. This is easily expandable to fit whatever I want size wise.

5) You may already have 90% of what you need. If you've got a comp with an HDMI output and at least a 500-750 GB drive, chances are all you need is a tuner card or USB tuner to get started. I could build a new computer today for about $400 plus O/S that would make a beauty HTPC plus fulfill regular PC duties as required...
Old 2011-11-10, 06:59 PM   #330
realtek
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman3 View Post
Of the available OTA DVR products that are currently available what is the best solution for a simple recorder for OTA HD broadcasts? Is it worth waiting for the CM7400 or is there a better solution curretnly out there. The CM7000 doesn't seem to be getting very good feedback, the same with the Tivo for Canadians - and I'm definately not signing up for something that has ongoing fees...
Another OTA DVR worth looking at is the TVIX M-6620N. It has the same TV guide limitation than the CM7400 (PSIP). But I don't know wich one is better in terms of features and stability...

Tags
ota hdtv