Channel Master DVRs For OTA - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-01-11, 03:40 PM   #1
Whidbey

Lightbulb Channel Master DVRs For OTA

This should work in Canada too. My TV guide on my old DVD recorder displayed Canadian TV station content, so this machine should too.

From C-Net:

Quote:
EchoStar TR-50: An HD DVR for those without cable or satellite
(Credit: EchoStar)

If you think everybody has cable or satellite, you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, if you live in an area that's well-served by digital broadcasters, now's a better time than ever to get your TV over the air (or "OTA," as the cool kids say): yeah, you get only a handful of channels, but they're in crystal-clear digital quality--DVD quality at "worst," uncompressed high-definition at best. The problem--as we're reminded by many an e-mailer--is that there just isn't a good DVR solution for the rabbit-ears crowd, especially if you prefer high-def. (You can opt for a TiVo HD, but you'd still have to pay a monthly fee for their programming guide.) But that may finally be changing, thanks to the EchoStar TR-50. For all intents and purposes, the TR-50 takes many of the features found on Dish Networks' excellent satellite DVRs (such as the ViP622 and 722) and brings them to antenna-based TV viewers.

The unit offers ATSC and NTSC tuners, so it can view and record over-the-air HD digital, standard digital, and analog channels. Dual tuner action means you can watch (and record) one live channel while simultaneously recording a second--or record two channels while playing back a previously recorded show. There's also full control over live TV, including rewind, pause, slow motion, 10-second "instant replay," and--for recordings--30-second skip. The TR-50 also sports a 7-day electronic program guide (using over-the-air metadata on the digital band), which should eliminate the pesky VCR-style manual "timer recordings" (you remember: "8:00-9:00 p.m. / Thursdays / channel 4"). The box also has a full range of outputs, including component and HDMI (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i resolutions supported), as well as standard-def composite and RF outputs for older TVs. Dish hasn't yet specified the internal hard drive size, but the USB 2.0 connector will ensure expandable storage. Perhaps most interestingly, the TR-50 includes an Ethernet port and the ability to decode MPEG-4 video, and EchoStar touts its ability to "access premium Internet-based TV programming via broadband Internet," as well as "DVR management and timer creation via Internet"--though the timeframe for such features wasn't disclosed. Likewise, the exact release date and pricing information remain a mystery. But if it's affordable--and lacks TiVo's monthly fee--the TR-50 may be the perfect fit for TV viewers without satellite or cable who still want to enjoy HD programming on their own schedule.

Separately, EchoStar also announced the TR-40. That model is merely a digital set-top box (no DVR). It will let analog TV owners (or those with HD monitors that lack a tuner) receive digital and high-def signals over the air--a necessity after the scheduled February 2009 analog TV shutdown.
Whidbey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-01-11, 04:17 PM   #2
Paul.v
Rookie

This looks awesome, I have Panasonic DMR E37...Great unit but no guide, I get guide off old RCA(poc) DVDR...analog only...I wonder what else will pop up this summer now? Competition should be interesting....I'll hold off for another year I think.
Dual tuner being ATSC/NTSC, record one (ATSC) while watching NTSC?
Paul
Paul.v is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-01-11, 08:01 PM   #3
Whidbey

Quote:
Dual tuner being ATSC/NTSC, record one (ATSC) while watching NTSC?
I wondered about that myself. Why even put an NTSC tuner in? To satisfy the cable crowd? I guess that would expand the market and hopefully help keep the price down.
Whidbey is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-01-12, 12:49 AM   #4
Walter Dnes

Does it "honour the broadcast flag"? If so fuggedaboutit. If not, it's very interesting.
Old 2008-01-12, 12:27 PM   #5
classicsat
Veteran

Since it appears to be ATSC(OTA only), there is tecnically no such thing as a "Broadcast flag" since broadcasters in the USA aren't permitted to use it anyways. That is my thinking anyways.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-01-12, 01:15 PM   #6
Wayne
Veteran

Which doesn't mean Canadian broadcasters couldn't put it on everything they show since there are no regulations for these flags in Canada.
Wayne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-01-15, 02:22 PM   #7
ASA

Quote:
Since it appears to be ATSC(OTA only)
In the second paragraph it mentions both ATSC and NTSC tuners.
ASA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-07-18, 03:59 PM   #8
99gecko
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
This should work in Canada too. My TV guide on my old DVD recorder displayed Canadian TV station content, so this machine should too.

From C-Net:
As pointed out elsewhere on the web, it appears that Dish is rebranding the as-of-yet unreleased TR-50 as the "DTVPal DVR".
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/a...ry/index.shtml
Quote:
EchoStar Corporation Announces New Digital-to-Analog Converter Boxes, DTVPal™ and DTVPal DVR™
The last word was this unit is to be released in September, however the original release date has come and gone.

They appear to be aligning the branding with their coupon eligible (CECB) digital-to-analogue converter box the DTVPal (formerly the TR-40). Lets hope its not vapourware.
99gecko is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-08-21, 10:49 AM   #9
99semaj
Veteran

Default Echostar TR-50 rumoured to be coming soon

I've abandoned cable in favour of HD OTA and AppleTV with the US/Canada iTunes accounts.

Keep an eye out for the Echostar TR-50 OTA HD PVR, rumoured to be coming soon. Also, If you use a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, there is chatter from Sony that they will bring out a movie download service and HD tuner/PVR addon of their own.
Old 2008-08-21, 10:49 AM   #10
99semaj
Veteran

Default Echostar TR-50

I've abandoned cable in favour of HD OTA and AppleTV with the US/Canada iTunes accounts.

Keep an eye out for the Echostar TR-50 OTA HD PVR, rumoured to be coming soon. Also, If you use a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, there is chatter from Sony that they will bring out a movie download service and HD tuner/PVR addon of their own.
Old 2008-08-21, 09:35 PM   #11
tenstu

The TR-50 looks like a winner to me. Credit card at the ready....

Stu
tenstu is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-09-03, 02:30 PM   #12
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Default TR-50

Echostar may be releasing their TR-50 PVR sometime soon. It looks promising, but until it may just be vaporware.
roger1818 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-09-05, 12:22 PM   #13
jasonbyers7

I emailed Echostar asking when the TR-50 would be available and roughly the cost. Here is their reply.
Quote:
Thank you for your email. We appreciate your interest in this product. The TR-50 is an advanced award winning digital-to-analog converter box that has HD and DVR capabilities. The Tr-50 will not be coupon eligible. Pricing and availability information has not been finalized. More information will be available in the fall of 2008. Unfortunately, at this time we have no further information.
Once the TR-50 is available they can count on me picking one up right away!
jasonbyers7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-09-05, 12:59 PM   #14
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

That Echostar TR-50 will be a dream come true for OTA users so I hope it becomes a reality soon. See Post #93 for the first mention of it - not much concrete info since then it seems.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-09-10, 01:25 PM   #15
99gecko
Veteran

Regarding the TR-50 (speculated to also be marketed via Sling as the DTVPal DVR), there is some indication that this product might be available in November.

Taken from a regular web segment with Dish Network's CEO Charlie Ergan known as "Charlie Chat" (Dish is a subsidiary of Echostar) :
Question:
Quote:
TR-50? June or July?... <snip non-related question>
Charlie Ergan's repsonse:
Quote:
TR-50 is a DVR version of their off air receiver. Engineers promise more than they can deliver. Available in November. $299?...<snip response to non-related question>
I would speculate that the release date would target the US Thanksgiving holiday. I would also speculate that these will fly off the shelves if they ever do make it to market.
Lots of speculation flying around about this unit, especially how the user interface/guide info software will function, and where it will actually get data from. The fear is that it will function similarily to the CECB non-recording DTVPal which has had some sour reviews.

Last edited by 99gecko; 2008-09-10 at 02:15 PM.
99gecko is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.