Please explain this CRTC decision on Shaw transmitter conversion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2014-12-17, 05:07 PM   #1
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question Please explain this CRTC decision on Shaw transmitter conversion

Can someone please explain this decision by the CRTC for Shaw, when I though all broadcast channels where suppose to be digital?Where all digital transmitters suppose to be digital by 2013?

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2014/2014-656.htm

Last edited by Jase88; 2014-12-17 at 05:24 PM.
MCIBUS is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2014-12-17, 05:21 PM   #2
Jase88

The digital conversion deadline only impacted transmitters in major cities in Canada. Many analog transmitters remain in rural and smaller communities. Typically these are re-transmitters of stations from major cities, as is the case in this decision.
Old 2014-12-17, 05:34 PM   #3
LONSat

These are small markets and the transmitters only put out a very limited signal maximum 500 to 800 watts. Converting all Global transmitters to digital was part of Shaws promise to the CRTC when they got approval to buy Global. Not sure how many are left but there may be more of these approvals from the CRTC if there are more transmitters to convert.
LONSat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-12-17, 06:16 PM   #4
bigoranget
Veteran

I think most of the remaining transmitters are in BC and the Maritimes. All of them have been switched to digital in Ontario except for the Bancroft transmitter.
bigoranget is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-12-17, 10:26 PM   #5
JamesK
Veteran

-210 metres effective height??? That won't work very well. Is it in a mine shaft or something?
Old 2014-12-18, 05:09 PM   #6
ExDilbert
Veteran

Pritchard is in a valley in the BC interior. Surrounding terrain is almost all higher. It has a population of 2,000 so I'm surprised anyone even has a transmitter there. This really makes the CBC and CTV networks look like a bunch of jerks after the way they've treated some (much larger) communities during the digital TV transition.
ExDilbert is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-12-18, 10:07 PM   #7
jaxon9032

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
... This really makes the CBC and CTV networks look like a bunch of jerks ...
But let's be clear and not give too much credit to Shaw. Shaw had no part in putting the transmitter there in the first place, and is upgrading it to digital since that was part of its 'arrangement' with the CRTC that allowed it to buy Global.
jaxon9032 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-12-18, 11:20 PM   #8
gzink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Pritchard is in a valley in the BC interior. Surrounding terrain is almost all higher. It has a population of 2,000 so I'm surprised anyone even has a transmitter there. This really makes the CBC and CTV networks look like a bunch of jerks after the way they've treated some (much larger) communities during the digital TV transition.
That must be a trade area population number and most would be in the hills or behind the hills and not receiving the signal!
gzink is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-12-19, 11:08 AM   #9
ExDilbert
Veteran

Quote:
But let's be clear and not give too much credit to Shaw.
I didn't. I just called the CBC and CTV networks a bunch of jerks. In reality, I think it makes Shaw look rather foolish for agreeing to spend the money to upgrade such a small community. The Shaw family must have really wanted Global. Irresponsible spending for acquisition is what cause the failure of Canwest and put Global on the market in the first place. It looks like it's still happening.
Old 2014-12-19, 04:16 PM   #10
Wheelman

Except Shaw can just raise Internet/Cable prices to compensate for it at the expense of everyone else.
Wheelman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-12-19, 05:34 PM   #11
ExDilbert
Veteran

Agreed. I guess that puts us back at my ongoing argument for reducing concentration of ownership in the Canadian broadcast industry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.