Apple Introduces New AirPort Extreme With 802.11n - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Apple Computing

Old 2007-01-09, 07:50 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Apple Introduces New AirPort Extreme With 802.11n

Apple today introduced the new AirPort Extreme, a simple and elegant wireless networking solution delivering up to five times the performance and twice the range of the previous AirPort Extreme.

This thread was created automatically from the Apple Website news feed.

You can read more here.

Discuss this story below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-10, 08:35 AM   #2
Doug30

I just bought the AE 802.11g over Christmas. I guess I should have gone to the Apple store rather than deal with some high school student at Future Shop who was pissed off that I was interrupting his video game. They may have told me that the new 802.11n was around the corner.

I am interested in getting my air tunes going. I don't want to spend 50 bucks on the Mon$ter mini to rca audio cables that apple is selling. Does anyone know if these are a common item that could be picked up at The Source or stores like it?
Old 2007-01-10, 08:48 AM   #3
QuickSilver

Actually 802.11n has been out for a while now. It is still in a the draft stages so personally I am staying away from n until things get sorted out.

While I feel Apple makes great products for the most part, $199.00 CA is a bit extreme for this product. Albeit it is an 802.11n router with a USB hookup for a HD or printer.

If you are looking for a cable solution to output your iPod songs then any standard mini-stereo to RCA cable will work. If you are wanting to also output video you can also use the same type of cable that also includes a video (yellow) cable. Just be aware that Apple has switched the connectors around. Yellow cable is one of the audio channels along with the white. Red is actually your video feed.
Old 2007-01-10, 05:30 PM   #4
PokerChip
Veteran

I know this is off topic, but I have to say it.

I have to try this video cable thing tonight. Thanks Poolshark! I have a couple of camcorders tri-colour cbles laying around the house and I was just starting to look into the AV cable for the iPod. I use iSquint to optimize videos for the iPod. Should I choose the optimize for TV option? I'll test it anyway, just wanted your input.

Back on topic, my experience with wireless routers is that they are on average not very user friendly compared to Airport. I would stay away from n as well and pay cheaper for g. In most everyday uses, the bottleneck occurs at your Internet connection anyway, unless you're doing lots of data transfers on your home network.