2007 Q1: Picking the right LCD TV - MSRP Pricing only please - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2007-01-10, 10:19 AM   #16
hugh
Member #1

What Cyclism says.

Since you want inexpensive, my advice is review the Digital Deals forum and you should find some good pricing now and in coming weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-10, 11:30 PM   #17
SourcE

thanks for the help,

any thoghts on the Acer AT3220A 32" 1366x768 / 8ms / 1200:1 Contrast Ratio / HDMI / DVI / HDTV Ready LCD TV?

i will be using rogers digital cable, and an xbox 360.
SourcE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-16, 03:37 PM   #18
Marco23

Default Reading about aquos very frustrating, anyone?

I have read alot about the d62 and did indeed fall in love with this set but because the 92 are around the corner I feel like waiting, however its about $1000 more expensive. I cannot or will not justify that price when the 42" is released in April. You know when your mind is set on a price! I really may consider another set any good recommendations for a 40 or 42" Lcd 1920x1080 1080p? Any other company don't care which.
Marco23 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-30, 06:03 PM   #19
lenal

Unhappy newbie seeks an opinion

I have finally decided to get myself a flat panel LCD and narrowed my choices to 3 models

Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U 46" 1080P
Samsung 46" LN-S4695DX 1080P
Toshiba 47LZ196 Cinema Series Pro 1080P

I did some research over the net and they all have some kind of a problem from banding to overscannig which really make my decision proccess very dificult.
Any suggestions?
Thanx Leo
lenal is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-30, 06:13 PM   #20
elapsed

Between the three, the Sharp arguably has the best video processing and build quality. The latest D62 shipments do not suffer from banding. See the Sharp thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=45715&page=23
elapsed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-30, 07:01 PM   #21
Snobike Mike

There are plenty of examples of banded Sharps that are beyond the 611 serial numbers on "another" forum.

The good news is that Sharp is for the most part taking good care of those that have it.

I'd go with the sharp. I have, except I've got a 92 series, not a 62 series coming.
Snobike Mike is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-01, 01:33 PM   #22
SourcE

Question Toshiba 32HL66 vs. Sharp LC32D43U

Stuck on chossing between the Toshiba 32HL66 and the Sharp LC32D43U.

I would be getting the Sharp from BBR as FS don't have any in at the moment.

Using the TV with a Rogers Digital Cable box, potential XBox 360 and a Samsung HD860 Upconverting HDMI DVD Player.

Really want to buy this TV tonight, so any quick thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-02-01 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Retail discount pricing.
Old 2007-02-02, 10:58 AM   #23
SourcE

Ended up getting the Sony KDL32S2010

Last edited by hugh; 2007-02-23 at 05:10 PM.
Old 2007-02-08, 03:21 PM   #24
JohnA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenal View Post
I have finally decided to get myself a flat panel LCD and narrowed my choices to 3 models

Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U 46" 1080P
Samsung 46" LN-S4695DX 1080P
Toshiba 47LZ196 Cinema Series Pro 1080P

I did some research over the net and they all have some kind of a problem from banding to overscannig which really make my decision proccess very dificult.
Any suggestions?
Thanx Leo
I'm not sure about suggestions, but I can offer opinions/observations:

- technically overscanning isn't a "problem". As I understand it, CRTs have always done it, and only recently have some of the newer technologies allowed you to turn it off (which is great if you've got a digital source at the same resolution as the native resolution of your TV - no scaling). But for some signals (like some of the channels I get on Bell Expressvu), you need overscanning to hide some broadcast junk that appears at the top of the screen. Apparently some broadcasters expect you to overscan. I turn overscan off for DVDs, and leave it on for the sattelite feed.

- All three of the TVs you list have glossy bezels. Given I was buying a television with a non-reflective screen, I chose one with a non-reflective bezel.

- "banding" has been reported on the Toshiba and Sharp, and backlight leakage ("ghosting") has been reported on the Samsung and the 1080p Sony panels of this size. But I think you just need to buy a set you like, take it home, and if it has a problem that bothers you in your home and your viewing environment - take it back.

- All sets that you list are 1080p, so I assume a 1080p set is what you are looking for. Toshiba also makes the 47LX196, which is 1080p and has a matte bezel (and a swivel stand, I think). But if you need/want 1080p input, be aware that this TV only goes up to 1080i input. I bought the Sony KDL46V2500, which is 1080p and allows you to turn off the overscan for 1:1 pixel mapping if you want. Sony also makes the XBR2/3, but the external design and extra size of these sets did not appeal to me. I was also impressed by what I read on the JVC LT46-FN97, but I couldn't find one locally and was told by JVC Canada in December that they have been discontinued.

So there you go - IMHO and YMMV. john a
JohnA1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-14, 04:52 PM   #25
hockeymancw

Default Narrowing things down

After two months of reading, searching and shopping around, I am finally ready to make the jump into HDTV.

I will be sitting 10' away, in a bright room with lots of sunlight during the day and bright lights on at night. Thus, I have decided on LCD. I currently have a 5 year old Sony 32" CRT TV that I have been very happy with. The new TV will be in a corner and I would like to put a 37-40" screen in there; as long as the speakers are mounted on the bottom. I do not want a tv with the reflective piano black casing, but it is not a dealbreaker.

I will be connecting a Motorola 6416, Sony AVR (HT-DDW900) home theatre system that already has the VCR, Wii, Xbox, SNES, Basic Sony DVD player and XM Inno connected. I am using optical and digital coax for the STB and DVD player already.

I would like to stay around the $2000 mark. I have no plans to get HD DVD or Blu-Ray and will not be using with the computer. I will be using the TV for SD TV and HD TV with the occasional movie and occasional video game. I am also looking for a well known brand name set.

Does anyone have any reccomendations or feedback on which set I should choose and why? Is there another set that I may have overlooked?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-02-19 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Retail sales pricing
hockeymancw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-17, 11:28 AM   #26
Nanuuk
Veteran

Hockeyman, ain't researching your purchase great! I bought a Sony (my first) and I have been very satisified with my purchaase so far. But the truth is, this time around, I didn't research as much as did with previous purchases. I looked for professional and consumer reviews. The link below is one of the ones I used for my research.

http://search.ecoustics.com/Editoria...r-LCD-Display/

Good luck!

Mods, I think this is in the rules!
Nanuuk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-17, 05:05 PM   #27
mark9977

Default Toshiba 32" 32HL86

Hi,

My parents have been looking to purchase a couple of LCD's for them and another family member.

So for $1000 is this the best HDTV for the money at that size? They would go larger for another $100 or so, but not much more money.

Is there something better at this price point? of is this about as good as it gets there?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-02-19 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Retail sales pricing
mark9977 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-17, 06:21 PM   #28
mark9977

I should also add that they will be using the TV for most standard display viewing as they do not intend to purchase HDTV, just want it for viewing movies on DVD.

Thanks.
mark9977 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-19, 11:28 AM   #29
bete_noir

Check out the Westinghouse 32" LCD ....these Westinghouse LCDs look great in the store but the specs aren't quite as good as the Sharp Aquos for instance (my top pick for LCD set). The 32" Westinghouse is a 1080i res set but at that size it doesn't matter much anyway. I've been ogling the 42" and the 47" 1080p Westys for a few months....

Just my $0.02.....

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-02-19 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Retail sales pricing
bete_noir is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-19, 11:38 AM   #30
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

This is a gentle reminder of the rules of this forum:

Quote:
You are welcome to quote MSRP or general street pricing for a television but you are not allowed to post sale prices or who is selling them.
Cyclism is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.