What are you watching on Blu-ray? (and discussion of said titles) - Page 110 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2012-02-05, 04:22 PM   #1636
eljay
DHC Supporter

Kung Fu Panda 2 - Po and the Furious Five are called upon to stop the oppressive and ruthless Lord Shen, who threatens to lay waste to China with powerful new weapons, and whose dark secret threatens to destroy Po...unless he is able to master the inner peace he needs to successfully confront his enemy and fulfill his destiny.

Comments: This sequel to the very entertaining "Kung Fu Panda" was enjoyable and quite a bit better than dreaded...I mean, than expected.

BD: PQ and AQ were excellent.
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-05, 05:26 PM   #1637
Tezster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Comments: This sequel to the very entertaining "Kung Fu Panda" was enjoyable and quite a bit better than dreaded...I mean, than expected.
Better or worse than the first one?
Old 2012-02-05, 07:28 PM   #1638
eljay
DHC Supporter

IMO, not nearly as good as the first one, but not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. If you liked the original, I'd say the sequel is worth a rental.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:59 PM   #1639
Biggles

Master and Commander - picked it up cheap last week. I really enjoyed the AQ and PQ ,and the movie itself. The sounds of the cannon fire and splintering wood is amazing. Great demo movie I think!
Old 2012-02-06, 04:18 PM   #1640
JesseJ
Veteran

Moneyball - Great movie. Not just about sports, it's a true human interest story. Great on Blu Ray

Also watched Bad Teacher (bad movie), Paul (had some funny moments), Hall Pass, Arthur, both the Original and the New crappy version, Crazy Stupid Love Super Troopers (Ill have a liter cola), Office Space, LOTR: FOTR and TTT, Team America, Kung Fu Hustle (subtitled) (Wifes fav) and Moulin Rouge.. Also Still Crazy, Billy Elliot, and Full Monty. Swedish Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest (subtitled) .
JesseJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-02-19, 01:22 PM   #1641
Nels Stewart
Veteran

Thumbs down

Certified Copy - Juliette Binoche is a French woman living with her son in a small town in Tuscany. When she attends a lecture by a visiting English art historian whose expertise is copies of great works of art, she strikes up a relationship with him; they go for a drive but it quickly becomes apparent there is more here than a casual acquaintance. But is what we are seeing real, or just an artful representation?
This is a chatty art film that is almost claustrophobic in its focus on the two protagonists and their relationship; frankly if you're telling a story in Tuscany, show me Tuscany!
Binoche is wonderful to watch, as always.
PQ is excellent. AQ is also pretty good for a dialogue-driven film, with plenty of bird chirps occupying the surrounds.
Old 2012-02-19, 05:13 PM   #1642
eljay
DHC Supporter

Drive - Driver leads a fairly uncomplicated life: He's an ace stunt-driver by day and an expert get-away driver for hire by night. But his life suddenly becomes very complicated when his latest job - a heist to help his lovely neighbour's ex-con husband finally settle a crushing prison "protection" debt - goes horribly wrong. Now he's driving for his life, trying to stay one step ahead of the mobsters who want their stolen money back, and who want to see Driver dead.

Comments: Despite a somewhat thin story and some poor dialogue and mediocre acting, I enjoyed this movie. Everything about it seems reluctant: The decisions the characters are forced to make, the relationships they build and break, and even the way the tension builds. But the tension does build and break, the characters make their decisions and the movie rolls on to a satisfying, and appropriately understated, conclusion.

Anyone expecting this movie to be another "The Transporter" will be as disappointed by it as were people who expected "Contagion" to be another "28 Days Later". But if you're in the mood for a solid but low-key action flick, "Drive" is the ticket.

BD: PQ and AQ were excellent.
Old 2012-03-01, 11:50 PM   #1643
Blackloz

Thumbs up

The Perfect Weapon: I will admit this was on my wish list I would have even bought the DVD(which i'd sworn off buying years ago for movies) had there been no BD release. This film made its BD/DVD debut on feb 14 for the first time ever. The film follows Jeff, a young delinquent, is enrolled by his father in a kenpo school, in the hopes of teaching the boy some self-discipline. Years later, Jeff's mentor, Kim, is being threatened by one of the Korean mafia families. Jeff tries to help his old friend, but is too late to prevent Kim's death at the hands of an unknown hitman. Vowing revenge, Jeff takes on all of the families, using his martial arts skills to find the man who killed his friend.

P/Q: I was highly impressed with the Picture quality, There was of course a few grainy spots but overall 7/10

A/Q: Good but not great 6/10
Blackloz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-03, 04:53 PM   #1644
eljay
DHC Supporter

Thumbs down

Puss In Boots - Puss joins Humpty Dumpty and Kitty Softpaws on an adventure to steal the magic beans from Jack and Jill and golden eggs from the giant's castle.

Comments: I sat through 20 boring minutes of it before leaving. My wife managed to sit through the whole thing, her hope that it might turn out to be enjoyable dashed by the end credits.

Blu-ray: The PQ and AQ of the 20 minutes I watched were excellent, although the level of the audio was surprisingly low: I normally watch movies at -18dB to -16dB, but for this movie I had the volume at around -14dB to -12dB.
Old 2012-03-03, 05:44 PM   #1645
redzone

Default Hugo

Set in 1930s Paris, an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton.

Amazing PQ. Jus breathtaking visuals of paris and the train station.

The movie is slower and definitly not for everyone but i enjoyed it. My wife did not enjoy it as much as she found it slow. her exact words were "Is an artsy movie supposed to be one where you have no idea whats going on 90% of the time?"

lol - I have to agree that if you dont read the synopsis you realy have no clue what the movie is about till the very end..

that said the PQ is worth the price of admission on this film
redzone is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-04, 05:04 PM   #1646
eljay
DHC Supporter

Midnight In Paris - While on vacation in Paris with his overbearing fiancée, Inez, and her family, insecure American writer Gil Pender - nervous about his forthcoming first novel and marriage - loses himself in the city's late-night streets...and finds himself suddenly transported to Paris of the 1920s, an era of romantically literary significance to him. His experiences there that night and over the course of the next several nights lead Gil to understand that he will not find true happiness by escaping to the past, but only by realizing his dreams in the present. Given his commitment to Inez, realizing his dreams may be more easily said than done!

Overall, this leisurely-paced, dialogue-driven - and dialogue-heavy - film was charming and enjoyable. The cinematography was wonderful, and the soundtrack suited the mood of the movie. Owen Wilson did a fine job playing the hapless Gil, and most of the supporting cast did well with their characters. (Adrian Brody's rhinoceros-obsessed Salvador Dalí was, in my opinion, the only discordant note.)

Blu-ray: PQ and AQ were very good.
Old 2012-03-18, 11:04 AM   #1647
eljay
DHC Supporter

Piranha - Just as Spring Break is about to kick off at Lake Victoria, Arizona, a seismic event opens a passage to an ancient, underwater lake, releasing prehistoric piranha into the water above and onto the unsuspecting party-goers. Cue the blood...

Comments: Silly, mindless, breast-filled, cliché-laden entertainment.

Blu-ray: PQ was very good. AQ was excellent (who knew so much LFE existed underwater?).
Old 2012-03-21, 11:57 AM   #1648
Nels Stewart
Veteran

Thumbs up

The Muppets - They're back! Gary, his improbably muppet brother Walter, and his girlfriend travel to Los Angeles to visit the Muppet Studio; but when they discover a greedy oil baron wants to buy the iconic Muppet Theater and tear it down, they rally Kermit to bring together his old Muppet troupe for a telethon to save the theater.
For anyone who grew up watching The Muppet Show, this is a warm and Fozzy (!) trip down memory lane; all the beloved characters are here, Kermit, Miss Piggy, Beaker, the Swedish Chef, Animal, etc as well as many of their familiar set pieces. The human acting, especially by bad guy Chris Cooper, is appropriately hammy, and there's no shortage of fun cameos.
The Muppets and Blu-ray were made for each other; the color and detail are outstanding! AQ is excellent as well.
Old 2012-03-28, 11:54 AM   #1649
Lou Sytsma

Thumbs up

FarScape: The Complete Series - the best the show will ever look. These are sourced from PAL copies - unfortunately the original masters were destroyed - so it's not as good as it can be but the show still looks darned impressive. The audio is excellent.

This is a great, and overlooked, SF series in my opinion. The set is chock full of extras and well worth tracking down.

Note: the series finale - a 4 hour miniseries - The PeaceKeeper Wars is not included as the rights belong to another company.
Old 2012-03-28, 12:01 PM   #1650
Nels Stewart
Veteran

Thumbs up

Game of Thrones: Season One - HBO hits it out of the park with the first season of its adaptation of George R.R. Martin's first novel in his Song of Fire and Ice series. As seven noble families fight for control of the Iron Throne in the mythical land of Westeros, alliances are formed and then betrayed, armies are dispatched, heads roll and have dragons really disappeared?
Epic, violent and with plot shockers at every turn, this is some of the best work HBO has done.
PQ is outstanding. After watching the first few episodes on a high def stream, the blu-ray is a head-and-shoulders improvement.
AQ is equally impressive.

Tags
blu-ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.