Shaw’s DCT700 – In Depth Review - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable

Old 2007-11-09, 03:35 AM   #76
TallGuyJG
Rookie

Many thanks for the reply, Guru...

Perhaps you can comment on the following:
I do not necessarily need optical or s-video outs. Currently, with the RF into my Toshiba TV, CH's 03-10 has some background images (interference, perhaps). I have another RF location which seems to provide a better signal, but it is in a less convenient location. I am wondering if the digital signal from Shaw would be significantly better without conversion to analogue. If so, then the DCT700 over the DCT2524 would be a better choice for me, do to an improvement in picture quality.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-11-09, 11:00 AM   #77
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

If those channels have some background images it sounds like there is definitely interference getting into the cable line somewhere. I would suggest having Shaw come out and have a look to see if they can correct this. As for a significant improvement of digital over the analogue I would have to say that each person sees it a little differently. Many people here have written that some channels look better than analogue and some do not. Overall I would say most people have said the switch to an all digital terminal is an improvement in quality for them though. Hope it helps.
Old 2007-11-09, 05:59 PM   #78
TallGuyJG
Rookie

Thanks.
I believe that I'm referring to "ghosting" in my previous post.
Old 2007-11-09, 08:09 PM   #79
EFP

Hi JG

My area also suffers from “ghosting” on certain analog channels. The official term is called “channel impairment” and is caused by RF leaking into the cable signal.

A year ago I had my DCT-2000-HT switched to the all digital mapping and had Shaw put the All Digital FCS in my account and I can say that the channel impairment went away.

Please note that the ghosting may not go away if you have a digital box hooked up to your TV via the coaxle cable as the leakage will come in via CH-3 on your TV. In other words you must hook up the DCT via Composite or S-Video along with the audio connections. This should ensure a better video picture along with digital stereo sound.

As to the choice of a 700 or a 2524 I prefer the 2xxx models with the S-Vid and the channel display on top of the DCT. If you suffer from channel impairment Shaw should switch your DCT to the all digital mapping. / FCS. This way you can choose instantly between analog (on your tv tuner) or digital (on your DCT) to watch the better signal
Old 2007-11-18, 01:38 PM   #80
newbiee
Rookie

Default DCT700 connecting to VCR

I upgraded from DCT2224 to DCT700 on one TV a month ago and had no problems. So, I upgraded the other three TVs. At the time, I had no idea that all the VCR and VCR/DVD would only be able to record the program you are watching. Is there any workaround? If not, I will have to return two terminals. The tech suggested that I buy a few PVR but that is a costly solution. I know that VCR/DVD machines are out dated but I can make it work if I switch back to the DCT2224. I will still be able to enjoy the DCT700 on the other TVs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 2007-11-20, 11:17 PM   #81
TallGuyJG
Rookie

Just picked up the DCT2524, without a remote. Any suggestions as to a programmable remote???

Newbie, perhaps a trade... One of your 700's (with remote) for the DCT2524 (without remote)?? I'm guessing it'd be a fair trade, with the remote control trading for the s-video and digital outs that the 2524 offers.

Thank you, everyone, for the valuable information you have provided.
Old 2007-11-22, 11:58 PM   #82
talldude123

Shaw will probably give you a remote for $15, which is the price of your average universal remote, and Shaw remotes are very programmable.

I just picked up a DCT700 box today from Future Shop (on sale for $35, open box, code still worked!) and didn't bother with their warranty as Shaw has a 3-year exchange. All Future Shop could do is offer "their" warranty for three years. I'm pretty happy with Shaw thank you...

Got it set-up to the television in less than 30 minutes (20 minutes waiting for somebody at Shaw, 10 minutes setting it up). Very easy install, only flaw is the lack of the S-Video, but the composite looks fine for now.
Old 2007-11-25, 01:40 PM   #83
talldude123

UPDATE: I had been using some cheapo composite/audio cables that came with an old DVD player i had, and it was a bit grainy, coaxial quality actually looked better! So i went back to Future Shop today, and got some "Monster THX" composite cables and oh my god, this was the clearest picture on a digital box that i've ever seen in my life! Even component can't compare to this quality! Very satisfied buying a Monster product, even if it was $50, i would've paid $80...

Not going to show the product link, but if you want to look at it, go to the FS site and look for yourself...
Old 2007-12-01, 09:23 PM   #84
spitoon

I know this is entirely subjective, but how does the output from this box look on a 40" TV?

I already have a 6412 in my living room, but I recently bought a 40" lcd for the bedroom. The addition of the IPG in the bedroom would be a positive, but I wonder about the PQ on a 'big' TV like that without 'going all the way' with a 6200 or 64XX.

It would be fairly easy to justify the $55 for the digital box, but hard to justify $450+ for an HD box when we already have one.
Old 2007-12-02, 01:08 PM   #85
talldude123

Spitoon, for a bedroom, I really dont think an HD box is necessary, unless you use the television alot, and watch alot of OTA movies, like Movie Central. As much as the HD boxes are $417 (currently at Future Shop), it really depends on if you want to spend alot of money. It's really just up to you.

EDIT: Just a word of advice, don't go crazy, but be sure to purchase gold-plated A/V connectors for any box that you do decide to buy. It makes all the difference in picture quality. Even the DCT700 looks nice.

Last edited by talldude123; 2007-12-02 at 01:19 PM.
Old 2007-12-02, 04:15 PM   #86
ShawTech

SD channels on a large screen LCD tend to look grainy regardless if they're analog or digital, so if you're satisfied with the PQ on analog then it will see slight improvement with the DCT700, and as you mentioned the guide is a big plus. Worst case scenario, if you find the PQ is unacceptable you can always return the DCT to Shaw within 30 days for a full refund.
Old 2007-12-02, 11:45 PM   #87
spitoon

You are probably right about HD in the bedroom...the wife watches more than I do in there, and she really doesn't care much about it. Besides, she watches TLC most of the time and it's not even available in HD yet.

I suppose the smart thing to do is to try out the DCT700 in there.
Old 2007-12-05, 06:43 PM   #88
talldude123

Well mine is in my bedroom, and I absolutely love it! Only drawback is no display, but who needs a clock anyways?

It would be nice if Shaw offered the DCT2500's with S-Video for $55, but then they're not making a profit.
Old 2007-12-07, 04:01 AM   #89
Gamepro

Hi everyone I have a question

I have two Digital Terminals, I THINK they are the DCT2000 models (I looked on the bottom and it said DCT2224). Will Shaw replace these with the DCT700 for free if I go out there? They've replaced my remotes and modem before with newer models so I thought they might...

Thanks
Old 2007-12-07, 12:36 PM   #90
Shaw Guru
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamepro View Post
Hi everyone I have a question

I have two Digital Terminals, I THINK they are the DCT2000 models (I looked on the bottom and it said DCT2224). Will Shaw replace these with the DCT700 for free if I go out there? They've replaced my remotes and modem before with newer models so I thought they might...

Thanks
They will not replace them for free. If the DCT is faulty and tech determines that it is still under warranty and a swap is needed you may get the same model or you may get a DCT 700. If you want a DCT 700 they are only $55 in the regions that offer those models. (Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Kenora, Vancouver, & Victoria)

Tags
shaw