Problems with Sirius Internet Radio - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > SiriusXM Satellite Radio

Old 2007-01-02, 05:42 PM   #1
travis

Default Problems with Sirius Internet Radio

I activated my Sirius radio last week and enjoy listening to it in the car. I found out they offer online service with your subscription, and want to listen to it on my computer. However, I am unable to get it to work. I've called their help line multiple times and have received no help at all, I've basically been told the problem is on my end and therefore my problem. I'm very unhappy with their customer service, which has been basically to get me to try a few basic things and then tell me tough luck.
I'm just trying to keep it basic. I go to siriuscanada.ca in Internet Explorer 7 (and I have Windows Media Player 11 installed). I am running Windows XP. I click on listen online now, and sign in. I sign in no problem, the player loads in the page and I can select my station. The player briefly says "connecting" and then says ready, but does not play anything and the last 5 songs box remains blank. I've cleared my cache, I've set the cache to update automatically and to update never, I've cleared all temporary internet files. I've added the page to my trusted zone.
I am behind a hardware firewall, but I am able to stream shoutcast stations in Winamp without any additional configuration. Am I missing anything? Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-02, 07:17 PM   #2
rob111

I realise this probably won't help you, but I just had a similar problem with their 3 day free trial. The page will not load correctly with firefox (iam using version1.5.0.9). I realize you are using ie7, which I have not bothered upgrading to, when I loaded the page in ie6 it worked fine. Do you see the volume control bar, which is to the left of the box showing "last 5 songs you heard", and underneath "now playing" box?
This was not viewable in firefox but was viewable in ie6. Good Luck.
Old 2007-01-02, 07:20 PM   #3
travis

I usually use Firefox, but saw they don't support it.

yes, I see the volume bar, and when i click on it up or down, it makes a sounds.
Old 2007-01-03, 11:48 AM   #4
travis

I tested it on my roomates computer, which is not behind the firewall, and is running IE 6. Works fine. Removed IE7 from my computer, back to 6, still does not work. It must be the firewall.
It's a voice terminal, and we are only able to have 1 computer outside the firewall, which is not mine. Is there any ports to open for this? I asked customer service, but after explaining to her that I didn't need my receiver hooked up to my computer to listen online and trying to explain what a firewall and ports are, I once again gave up on support from Sirius.
Old 2007-01-03, 03:51 PM   #5
rob1

Doesn't work for me either......

Either from home or work....running IE 7 and Firefox.
Old 2007-01-04, 08:05 AM   #6
tinear

Works for me in Firefox 2.0.0.1, suggests I install some plug ins for missing content (last few songs heard mainly) which I ignore. I.E.7 works and fills in the info I miss with Firefox. For thr record I "dual-boot" and can get the streams in linux as well (uses mplayer plugin in Firefox 1.5.0.9) It is nice to get the Met Opera station which is not available on my Canadian Sportser 4. FYI I have software firewalls and needed to make no adjustments once I allowed pop-ups for Player in my Windows Security software.

Last edited by tinear; 2007-01-04 at 08:07 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 2007-05-24, 12:45 PM   #7
Ouser

Default internet confused?

I am a new subs to Sirius and I was keen to learn that I could listen online at work! I am having exactly the same problem as poster #1 here! I can access random channels and listen, but for the ones I really want it just says 'ready' as with the first post. Is there a fix for this?

Why would it work on some channels like Alt Nation, but not Coffee House?
Old 2007-10-28, 10:48 PM   #8
dcuppett4
Rookie

Default I finally fixed this

Always worked for me. Then my laptop crashed while listening and could never get past the READY msg. But it still worked fine on other computers.
I removed/reinstalled Media player, Flash, etc. no help. While trying to find a solution on this and other sites, I saw a few places where people thought it was DRM related. Then I remembered when I had a problem downloading a song from WalMart. The help-desk agent very quickly helped me fix by deleting a hosed local-setting file. So I checked my Documents & Settings, Application Data, Microsoft, Windows Media, 9.0 (note: I still use Win200Pro on this laptop and Media 9 is as high as I can go.
Sure enough there were 3 files. 2 with today's date and 1 with the date my laptop crashed. Deleted all three. Restarted IE and the SIR. MUSIC!!!
Old 2007-10-28, 10:54 PM   #9
hugh
Member #1

dcuppett4, noce work and thanks for sharing your solution!
Old 2007-10-29, 12:49 AM   #10
Mexicanuck

I had trouble getting Sirius online on two XP machines, one at home and one at work.

Then I downloaded and installed a Sirius widget. I like the interface better and it rarely fails me. I did have to try a few times to enter my ID and password, but after that it has worked well at both locations.
Old 2007-11-04, 11:07 AM   #11
dj0114
Rookie

Default Unable to follow dcuppett4's solution

Maybe I am not following dcuppett4's instruction correctly. I have a Premium Sirius online subscription and cannot get it to work (just says 'Ready' but nothing plays).

Dcuppett4- can you list the steps for the solution one by one (sorry for being such a pain)? I have Windows XP and WMP 11.

Thanks.
Old 2007-11-07, 05:37 PM   #12
ashton13
Rookie

Default Sirius saying,

New here, and enjoying alot of the Questions & Comments on here. But I a question of my own for anyone here, Seems that every time I log on to Sirius on the Internet, after 30min. It shuts down on me saying Paused for Inactive use, Or something like that, So, If I am working in the house, I have to run back to the PC and click on the message saying this, So It does not shut down on me. This Sucks, Is anyone else having the same problem with this. Please let me know, Thanks guys.
Old 2007-11-07, 05:45 PM   #13
hugh
Member #1

What shuts down? The browser? What browser are you using. It would be much for helpful if you provided more information
Old 2007-11-07, 06:13 PM   #14
ashton13
Rookie

Default Streaming

The Sirius Internet radio itself, yes the browser, that comes up when you log into the system. On Sirius, This is what it says, Your Streaming was paused Due to Inactivity.
Old 2007-11-07, 06:15 PM   #15
ashton13
Rookie

Default Sorry,

The browser, is Ie 7 or Firefox, Either one does the same. Shuts down, I just wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem.