Installation Questions - Page 37 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV Hardware Installation Forum

Old 2011-11-26, 06:35 PM   #541
Danny001

well the issue with bringing it higher is our winds here are incredible, and the dish is super light, so it will not withstand.. I'm starting to think the duplex is definitely in the way!
Danny001 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-01-07, 11:37 AM   #542
bigblueguy
Rookie

Default Good switch for bell and Antenna.

I have Bell TV. The installer installed a large switch and connected the dual LNB's to it. It's working well but the antenna is no longer connected. What switch can replace the one I have and allow me to connect the antenna. There are four lines coming from the switch and going into my house. This is to allow for 3 receivers one of which is the HD PVR. I would like to try and get antenna signal to at least two of my TV's.

Thanks.
bigblueguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-07, 12:08 PM   #543
Pinza
Veteran

I would suggest using Diplexers inside the house on the lines that you want the OTA antenna to feed.
Pinza is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-07, 12:28 PM   #544
bigblueguy
Rookie

What about outside at the dish? The switch installed by the bell tech does not have a connector for the antenna. What switch could replace the existing one? Or do I just connect a diplexor outside?
bigblueguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-07, 01:05 PM   #545
Pinza
Veteran

There is NO switch approved or used by Bell that would replace that SW44 and also allow for OTA signals on the lines.

As I said, I would suggest using Diplexers INSIDE. Why risk connections outside where they are open to the weather, just run your line from OTA antenna inside, then make all your connections indoors, away from the weather.

You would need a Diplexer at each end of each line you want to use for OTA reception at the TV, so for OTA to 2 HDTV's you will need 4.
Old 2012-01-23, 06:54 PM   #546
Corizzle

Hello,

Right now I am thinking about upgrading one of my older receivers into a 6131. I'm a bit confused on what I would need to do to upgrade my current satellite to get both 82 and 91.

Right now I have just a plain satellite with a single dual LNB on it. I do not believe there is any expansion slot to add another LNB. Would I likely have to buy a new dish or is there a bracket I can buy to add a slot for another LNB? Or is there a bracket I could maybe install to place a DPP Twin LNB on the current dish?
Corizzle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-01-23, 06:58 PM   #547
Pinza
Veteran

If your current dish does not have the "Y" yolk at the front to hold another LNBF, you will need a new Dish.

Calling Bell would obviously be the simplest way, free upgrade when you add an HD receiver.

Otherwise you will need a 20" (51cm) Dish and a second LNBF (might as well get 2 new ones and 2 x SW21's), or a DPP Twin.
Old 2012-01-23, 07:10 PM   #548
alebowgm
Veteran

Although it also depends where you are. If you are in the far north (or outside Canada and in the south), you may need larger than a 20'' dish. You can go with multiple single satellites if required, but as Pinza said, easiest and simplest is getting the 'Y' yolk.
Old 2012-04-23, 06:51 PM   #549
mmitchell12
Rookie

Default Basic LNB question

Just picked up some satellite gear from a friend and looking to get it set up at the cottage. I've done some reading here and kind of get the just of things but have a couple of basic questions.

5100 receiver (smart card verified as good by Bell)
Dish with two Dish Network 214-5100-402 LNB's

Sounds like the 5100 is an SD receiver and I need to point to satellite 91. I'm only running 1 TV off the satellite so I should be able to run RG6 cable from the LNB right back to the receiver, then coax to the TV ?

Does it matter which LNB i hook up to ? They look the same to me.
mmitchell12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-23, 07:59 PM   #550
Pinza
Veteran

If the Tv only has Coax then yes hook that up from the 5100, it is the worst Picture Quality connection there is though..... Red, White & Yellow, Composite will give a much better PQ.

Either slot on the Dish if you are only connecting just one, although I would set the skew on the Dish and put the LNBF in the 91 slot. That way if you ever swap out to HD, the Dish should already be aimed....
Old 2012-04-25, 02:27 PM   #551
07shelby
Rookie

Unhappy Help with 9241 install

I have recently moved to a different town with no Bell installers around. I did manage to get another satelite installer from Telus to install the dish. I have the 9241 with an SW 44 switch,and another HD receiver currently not using. The house is brand new. The installer put the 4 cables from the LNBs into the one side of the switch. On the other side of the switch he only has two cables coming out, one to the power inserter another to the PVR.
This has been for a month that the wife has been complaining about her satellite, (I dont even watch TV).
We do get both HD and sat 91. The problem she is having is when she is recording a program, she can only record one at a time. If she is currently recording something and tries to view another channel the blue screen comes on going thru all the tests for 91 and 82 then finally a program guide is downloaded, about 15 minutes latter.

We paid $130 for the install and I believe there needs to be all four cables coming out of he switch into the house.

Am I right?

Last edited by 57; 2012-04-25 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Moved to appropriate thread.
07shelby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-25, 03:05 PM   #552
jdevlin

The 9241 has two tuners. three if you count OTA. You need two cables to the 9241. One for each tuner. Right now you only have input to one tuner. If he DPP used equipment you get by with one cable and a separator. It sounds like he did not use DPP so two cables are needed.
jdevlin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-25, 03:11 PM   #553
JoeLouie

jdevlin is correct (except for the 9241 having an OTA tuner, as it does not. The 9242 does though). Sounds like you only have one line going to the 9241.
JoeLouie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-25, 05:11 PM   #554
07shelby
Rookie

Not sure what DPP stands for. Like I mentioned he has 2 cables coming off the switch 1 going to the inserter then into one of the PVR inputs, the other cable is going directly into the other input on the PVR. Is this wrong?

07S
07shelby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-25, 05:31 PM   #555
JoeLouie

Sounds like it's hooked up properly.
Run a check switch on the 9241.

Menu, 6, 1, 1, then "Check Switch" and let us know what the outcome is.
JoeLouie is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
5900, bell, bell 9242, bell aliant, bell sat, dish, dpp, dual tuner, expressvu, hdpvr, satellite, satellite piracy, signal strength, switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.