Toshiba 32HFX71 (or similar) CRT TV failures? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2006-12-07, 12:36 PM   #1
oberst

Default Toshiba 32HFX71 (or similar) CRT TV failures?

I have a Toshiba 32HFX71 Cinema Series CRT TV (from 2001). When I turned it on recently the picture refused to come on, the power light was blinking, and a squealing sound came from either the tube or more likely the transformer. It is putting out audio, though.

When I started describing the problem to the local TV repair guy, he took me to the back of his shop and showed me the same model disassembled on his workbench, out of commission with similar symptoms! Apparently (and paraphrasing, since I'm not a hardware guy) an IC chip had blown, which then left the transformer misprogrammed and possibly damaged, burnt out at least 1 resistor, and then caused various havoc in other places. He and his customer had pretty much given it up as a lost-cause sinkhole of time and effort (he's had it for a couple of months or more) - the most recent word back from Toshiba advised tracking down replacing various tiny diodes, with no guarantee of success. He said it is one of the uglier repair jobs he's seen in quite some time, and had some uncomplimentary things to say about the circuit design! Since my own problem sounds very similar, I'm not too hopeful.

I was just curious if anyone here had knowledge of similar failures in Toshiba HFX71 series TVs? I found at least one other similar report (R217 is the very resistor my guy mentioned as well), and having two units go similarly kaput in a small place like Yellowknife pushes coincidence. It may give me the excuse to upgrade to the plasma set I've had my eye on, but I was going to wait a couple of years for the Blu-Ray wars to settle down, and having what was $2000+ unit die beyond reasonable repair would certainly make me unhappy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-12-07, 07:09 PM   #2
Nanuuk
Veteran

I have the 36HFX71 set and have had no problems at all. I've been more than satisfied with it and am hoping it will serve out its remaining useful life as my second TV. When I researched the set, there were many posts about the white line down the middle of the screen, but that's about it.
Old 2006-12-10, 03:53 PM   #3
oberst

I took the case off the computer, and sure enough resistor R217 is arcing away like a roman candle. Based on his recent experience with that same problem on another HFX71 set, the TV repair guy here strongly advises not bothering to even attempt to fix it - apparently the failure causes damage at multiple places in the innards, and he's replaced various bits and pieces without being able to make a fully successful repair.

So it looks like a write-off, and I'm researching a new TV purchase. If anyone else comes across this and has had a similar problem, please post (or email me) - I'm tempted to communicate my disappointment to Toshiba.
Old 2008-07-29, 02:47 PM   #4
panzarut
Rookie

Default Toshiba 32HFX71 (or similar) CRT TV failures

I had the same problem with my set yesterday. I tried to turn on the set, I heard the regular click after I pressed the power button, then I heard a wirring sound, and the power light began flashing on and off. I unplugged the set and tried to start again, but all I got was a flashing red light on the power button.

I was looking to have it repaired. Are you saying that the set is not repairable? ie. junk? What a shame, after 7 years. I just gave away a 20" set from 1992 that was in good working order!
Old 2008-07-29, 05:20 PM   #5
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

If you get a free or low-cost repair estimate somewhere you can judge whether the cost would justify keeping the TV.

Unfortunately since one part has now apparently failed on your TV you'd have to wonder whether the rest of the set will be reliable for the future. It's a tough guess.
Old 2008-07-29, 08:30 PM   #6
jumpy27
Veteran

Just because one part failed, does not mean that other things will keep going wrong with that same set. If there was lightning damage, then yes, the set in most cases should not be repaired. But becasue the part failed on its own, then as long as it is repaired properly it should last a few more years. Older sets tend to be designed better than newer sets and therefore last longer.
Old 2008-07-30, 07:30 AM   #7
panzarut
Rookie

Thanks. I have a repairman coming to check. $80 for the visit and the estimate. (The set is too heavy and cumbersome to move) I didn't think I'd see a tv repairman in my lifetime! Given that the new set I'd buy is $1500, a couple of hundred bucks for repair is OK.
Old 2008-08-22, 01:42 PM   #8
simmy
Rookie

I have this same TV and had the same symptoms, nothing but the flashing red light. Took it to Gibson's TV in Waterloo. They replaced the transformer and a few other items and I picked it up. After 10 minutes it died again. I returned it again and they reset and recalibrated something, now after 2 months its working as new. They were very good about fixing it the 2nd time for free. The 1st bill was $265 with tax. I highly recomend Gibson's.
Old 2008-08-28, 02:13 PM   #9
panzarut
Rookie

Default Flyback transformer no longer available

My repairman tells me that one of the replacement parts (flyback transformer, aka high voltage transformer) is no longer available from Toshiba. Turns out that Toshiba doesn't make this part any more, but a copy (part #23236717) is available through parts companies (called jobbers). The thing is, my repairman tells me that these jobber parts don't always work. Has anyone encountered this issue? Am I wasting my time trying to get a part that won't work and for which I'll spend another couple of hundred $$ in labour for the pleasure of trying?
Old 2008-10-01, 11:49 AM   #10
Rick

Location: Toronto, Ontario (Rogers, Oppo 103, Sony S590, Denon 2809, Panasonic AE3000, Carada 2.35 120 in.)

I have a 50HX81 also from 2001. In July it failed with the flashing red light syndrome. Repairman replaced a couple of (soldered in, of course) fuses and also did some re-soldering to try to catch what caused them to blow. It cost $150. Now, two months later, it happened again. (The symptom is the same, doesn't mean the exact cause is the same.) I am trying to decide whether to have it repaired again, or just junk it. Junking it, of course, is not free!! I have a 200 lb monster to get out of the basement, then have to get it to a dump or recycling place.
Old 2008-10-02, 08:04 PM   #11
Nanuuk
Veteran

Personally when my set gives up the ghost its off to re-cycle(assuming I can hire either a crane or some strong backs!