Rogers Digital Cable to DVD Recorder (or VCR, or PC) Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-09-24, 09:45 PM   #46

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I believe it would work, as discussed in the "copy to VCR" link from post 1.
Advertisement

Old 2009-10-14, 09:28 AM   #47
Kizmet
Rookie

I've looked around on the site and can't find the answer to this question. I have a tonne of HD recorded programs on my Rogers HD PVR. I want to transfer these to VHS video(I do not have a recordable dvd player). My question is a) can this even be done since the original program is in HD and b)would I be able to get more than one show on a videotape? thanks
Old 2009-10-14, 09:36 AM   #48
Pinza
Veteran

You would have to record onto the VHS as SD. Recording time will vary depending on what setting you use on the VHS machine.
Old 2009-10-14, 01:35 PM   #49
romulus

If you use the "copy to VCR" function, be sure to use the OUT 2 jacks on the PVR.
You will then be able to watch (or record) something else via the PVR.

Last edited by romulus; 2009-10-14 at 02:21 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 2009-10-14, 09:30 PM   #50
gymtiger99
Rookie

Default Cannot copy recopy a SD show from pvr to vcr

I've searched this site and still cannot find an answer to this problem.

First of all, I've have successfully copied using a Rogers SA8300hd pvr to vcr...No problem. Followed the instructions as given by Rogers, worked perfectly.

I have 6 shows that I want to copy from PVR to vcr...the first show copied perfectly, then I tried to record the second show, and it worked, BUT it didn't record the last 10 min (who knows for whatever reason). So I went to the spot on the pvr where I missed and followed the instructions as per rogers (to copy), and it didn't record.
So I went and tried to re-record the show in its entirety (from start to finish)...Yes I did hit "play" on the PVR and "record" on the VCR. And Left both units alone until the time is up.
And it didn't record the show at all...tried a cold boot, unplugged the pvr, anything and everthing and still it did not work.
So I watched the other shows and then tried to copy (pvr to vcr) them. I used the same method as I did when I successfully copied the first show and it didn't work.
So I tried to copy (pvr to vcr) a new show that I haven't watched before and it worked...It copied it, I tried to copy that show again (to see if it would copy it) and it didn't work!!??

Has anyone had/heard of this happening? So basically it's telling me that I can only watch and copy (pvr to vcr) a show once, if I tried to copy that show again that it won't work!!!
Old 2010-03-26, 04:24 PM   #51
ConComp
Rookie

Default VCR recording with DTV

I have Rogers DTV (not HDTV)

As everyone knows, with DTV one can only record with a VCR, the channel being watched.
There are workaround hook-ups, one of which is this: http://z.about.com/d/tv/1/0/y/2/watchrecordDTVbox.jpg
However, I was wondering why a second DTV Converter is necessary on the VCR side of the splitter if I only want to record analog programs.

Your thoughts please.
Old 2010-03-26, 05:41 PM   #52

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Here's the FAQ on recording with a VCR. No you don't need a STB (set top box) if you only wish to record analogue.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

I provided you with exactly the same information 10 months ago...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=106731
Old 2010-03-26, 07:24 PM   #53
ConComp
Rookie

Thank you 57............
I honestly did not see your previous response to my problem several months ago. If I had I would not be asking a similar question now.
The fact is, since I was unable to resolve the problem I discontinued using the digital box and only resumed interest in it a couple of days ago.
Hopefully, I can now get a workable hook-up. If not I may need additional help.

Thanks again.
Old 2010-03-28, 09:32 AM   #54
JamesK
Veteran

At the moment Rogers still has analog signals, so either the TV or VCR can still receive them, while the digital terminal is used for digital only channels with the other. When I had a SD terminal and analog TV, I split the cable between the VCR & terminal. I connected the terminal to the TV with S-Video and the VCR with composite. I then connected the VCR to the TV via composite and also the RF connection. This gave me the most flexibility with only one digital terminal. When I wanted to record a digital only show, I'd program the VCR to use the line in and also program the terminal to the desired show. With this configuration, I could either record and watch 1 analog and 1 digital show or 2 analog shows.

I also had a DVD player connected to the TV's component input.
Old 2010-04-11, 02:55 PM   #55
ladybugg1629
Rookie

Hi...I'm having a bit of a strange issue that I'm not sure how to fix.

I've just started using the "copy to vcr" function and have been able to successfully transfer two recordings to my computer via my tv tuner. I used the output 2 on the back of the PVR with the composite yellow/red/white.

I bought an s-video cable yesterday to attempt to improve the picture quality, brought it home, hooked it up and it seemed to be working fine. When I selected "copy to vcr", the recording was sent via s-video, everything was good.

Today, however, when I use "copy to vcr", I can only receive video from the out 2 composite cable, not from s-video. On my computer screen, the S-video displays the channel that is currently tuned in on the PVR, and the sound from the "copy to vcr" recording.

I've rebooted the PVR twice (8300HD btw, set to SD mode), once by just unplugging the power and restarting, and next time by holding vol-/vol+ and power.

Any ideas on what I've done to disable the s-video from acting as out 2 when using the copy to vcr function?

As an aside, another strange thing that happened during this was that I turned the PVR off, however, a recording continued to play on my TV (not a copy to vcr recording, but one that was playing back thru the PVR via the List function - I was able to fastforward, pause, etc. using the remote for the PVR, even though the PVR was off????)
Old 2010-04-11, 03:17 PM   #56
ladybugg1629
Rookie

Hmmmm...odder...I changed the box back to HD mode, using the Guide/Info buttons on the front, and now the s-video outputs the copy to VCR picture as it should, but it was in SD mode yesterday when I tried it out and it was working fine...??

The reason I use SD mode is that I don't have an HDTV, so in order to get the green component output to act as a composite video output, I need to use SD mode. That way I can continue to watch regular programming on the TV via out 1 composite cables while using the "copy to vcr" function on the out 2 outputs.

So, now my question is, is there a way to get the s-video to act as an out 2to output the "copy to vcr" video, while the box is in SD mode?
Old 2010-10-04, 07:11 PM   #57
PVR-huh?
Rookie

Anyone experiencing these problems?

- Channels like Spike tv consistently over run, so when you tape until say 10:00pm you miss 5 mins. Setting the PVR to tape for an extra 5-10 mins works for the first time you set it, but it won't tape the over run the following weeks after that if you have it set as a weekly recording.

- The pvr won't tape two shows in a row with the same name. Ie/ a Hell's Kitchen 2 parter, it will only tape part one. When I go in to tape part 2 on the menu, it appears that it is not taoing part one any more (the red goes away on the menu screen).

- The pvr just randomly stops taping things. It seems I have to double check a bunch of shows, which kind of defeats the purpose of the pvr.

*edit- this might be in the wrong forum, sorry. Googled my issue and landed here.
Old 2010-10-05, 12:30 PM   #58

You're in the wrong thread. Check out the various PVR threads in the appropriate forum. I'm assuming you're with Rogers since the issues you discussed have been discussed many times in the Rogers PVR forums. Check those out.
Old 2012-04-15, 11:45 PM   #59
SonyWE610Owner

Default Does the Cisco 8642 have 'copy to VCR'

Is this function available with the 8642?
Old 2012-04-16, 12:12 AM   #60

No, it is not, however, you can still hit "play" on the PVR and "record" on the DVD recorder. Make sure you do this when you aren't going to need the use of the PVR for the time the recording takes, and also not near 2AM when the 8642 is currently rebooting all the time.