Buying Paradigm Speakers in Vancouver - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2006-10-11, 01:11 AM   #1
GeeCee22

Default Buying Paradigm Speakers in Vancouver

Hi, I am looking to put together a home theatre consisting of Paradigm Cinema 300's for the center and front speakers, the ADP's for the rear and a ultracube 10 for the sub.

Does anyone know who sells Paradigm speakers in Vancouver?? So far, I have found 2 locations : The Sound Room and Audio Video Unlimited.

As well, what would be a good price for these speakers. I have heard AVU is fairly flexable when it comes to price, but I don't have much to compare the price to as I can find any sellers.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

Geoff
GeeCee22 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-10-11, 01:36 AM   #2
bittermelon

The Sound Room sells a limited roster of Paradigm, mostly the Studio line. I didn't particularily find their service very helpful. AVU is where I bought my Monitor 11's for about 30% off MSRP. PM me if you want the reference. I WOULD have bought them from Sounds Hounds in Victoria, but I was offered the same price at AVU and I wasn't heading to the Island for a couple of months so I bought them at AVU. Both places have decent sales staff and willing to determine what your needs are.
bittermelon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-11, 02:21 AM   #3
elapsed

I agree, I also purchased my Paradigm speakers from AVU in Coquitlam, as have others I know. I did find that they have a huge markup on their speakers and their staff can be high pressure, but they are willing to negotiate.

The Sound Room I've had mixed experiences with, but then again I've also had mixed experiences at Hi Fi Centre and Commercial Electronics. It all really depends on who you talk to. I've also had very pleasant experiences at both Hi Fi Centre and The Sound Room.

I'm not aware of any other Paradigm dealers in the Lower Mainland outside of AVU and The Sound Room.
elapsed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-11, 01:35 PM   #4
GeeCee22

This is what I have been quoted over the phone from AVU. The salesperson said if I came in, he could obviously cut me a better deal.

3 cinema 330's : $339 each
2 cinema ADP's : $100 each (on sale right now)
Ultracube 10 : $1000

Bittermellon, it sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal at 30% off MSRP! Did you deal with the manager?

For anyone else reading this post in Canada, how do these prices sound?
thanks.
Old 2006-10-11, 01:39 PM   #5
Arcanum

The Cinema ADp's sound like a good deal. I got mine for $110 on sale and thought that was a good price. The rest, I'm just not sure on. AVU will give a good deal if you go in to the store.
Arcanum is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-11, 02:28 PM   #6
GeeCee22

as well, I was looking at picking up the Harmon Kardon AVR 340 Reciever, to run the speakers. I have read quite a few reviews and it sounds pretty solid. This was one of the reviews that pointed me in that direction although I am not making my choices solely on this review obviously.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/comple...ems/806system/

It just seems like a good choice for my budget range as teh HK AVR 640 is quite a bit more pricey.
Old 2006-10-11, 02:29 PM   #7
Felgar

Is the sub price a typo? For $1000 you could get any SVS or HSU sub which are very highly respected online, or possibly even a used Servo-15...
Felgar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-11, 05:01 PM   #8
GeeCee22

Unfortunatly it's not a typo. I am hoping that I would get it for less then that. I was looking into the servo 15 after your post and it seems to be quite expensive(although I'm sure it's very nice). The msrp on the Ultracube 10 is $800 US. So $1000 sounds about what it should sit around? I guess I'm wondering how it performs or if it is worth that, as I can't afford to spend more on a sub. Or what someone else has payed for it...
Old 2006-10-11, 08:44 PM   #9
elapsed

Here is the Canadian Dealer for HSU: http://www.hi-fidelity.com/

For CAD$1,000 you can purchase a HSU VTF-3 MK 2, which will blow away the Paradigm UltraCube 10.
elapsed is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-12, 04:45 PM   #10
Felgar

Yup, everyone I've ever talked to would agree with you on that elapsed, though I can't confirm with personal experience.

For the Servo it'd need to be used at a $1000 budget, but they are out there. Honestly I think the Ultracube is way too expensive though, given the rest of your budget. Maybe it's more expensive because it has such great output from a small device. Maybe even a 12" Seismic (PW2100 I think) or a PDR-12 would be other better-value Paradigm options if you want new and also don't want to go with HSU or SVS.

Oh, with respect to MRSP and Paradigm, since they are a Canadian company one should expect to pay no more than US MSRP even with the exchange rate difference (in this case 800 CDN max). They sell to Canadian markets at a little less markup than to the US.
Felgar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-12, 04:46 PM   #11
GeeCee22

Hey Bittermellon. Would you be able to tell me who you bought your speakers from at AVU? thx...

Elapsed...do you know who carries HSU VTF-3 MK 2 in Vancouver?
Old 2006-10-13, 11:44 PM   #12
GeeCee22

Default Paradigm Speakers Quote

Hey guys, I just had a question. I wanted to know what you think of this quote I got. It seems good, but I wanted to double check.

3 Paradigm Cinema 330's
2 Paradigm ADP's
1 Paradigm Ultracube 10
2 stands for front speakers and 2 for rear

$2000 after tax.

Any feedback would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Geoff

Last edited by 57; 2006-10-14 at 01:48 AM. Reason: No need for new thread, post moved here.
Old 2006-10-17, 08:36 PM   #13
bittermelon

Thumbs up

GeeCee22

Check your PM. Let me know how you made out on the weekend.
bittermelon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-10-23, 01:42 AM   #14
sthuynh

Go talk to Rodney at AVU Coquitlam for paradigm Speakers.

Stephen
sthuynh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-12-05, 11:06 PM   #15
CRoZZ

Hi there, Im also looking for some Paradigm Reference Studios:

Studio 100's
CC-690
ADP-590's X2
Studio 20's X2
Seismic 12 or Servo-15

Have got a qoute from AVU with 20% off listed....but it's still 500+ over US MSRP without any incentive's. Is that a fair offer? Is there a place that can do better?( stands throw'in in). Is there a place just across the border I should take a look at, Im in Vancouver BC btw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CRoZZ is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.