Qosmio G30 Laptop with HD DVD: Cool but expensive - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Windows Computing

Old 2006-10-03, 03:12 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Qosmio G30 Laptop with HD DVD: Cool but expensive

From press release today.

Cool but $3,000 for a laptop is a lot of dough these days!

Quote:
MARKHAM, ON – October 3, 2006 – Toshiba of Canada ISG today launched the new Qosmio G30 audio visual personal computer that offers top of line features for powerful computing and multimedia entertainment. The new Qosmio G30 is powered with the new Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and features an HD DVD Super Multi double layer drive for viewing the latest HD DVD flicks.

The Qosmio G30 is a television, digital music player, computer and HD DVD player all in one. Toshiba’s award-winning Qosmio G30 comes with a remote control and has 17-inch wide monitor with ultimate Trubrite ™ display and a built in TV-tuner that enables streaming of high definition television signals. The high performance notebook computer entertainment system offers a superior sound system with built-in harman/kardon ® Bass Reflex Stereo speakers, a 1-bit Digital Amplifier and Dolby ® Home Theater ™ Digital audio enhancements.

The Qosmio G30 boasts 2GB of DDR2 memory, 220 GB of hard disk drive and built in wireless LAN for mobile computing. It packs in an NVIDIA ® GeForce ™ Go 7600 Graphics controller with 256MB of DDR video memory, Microsoft ® Windows ® XP MCE 2005 for multimedia entertainment. The Qosmio G30 will retail for the suggested list price of $2,999.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-10-03, 10:43 PM   #2
hdtvman

Yeah, but is it HDCP compliant. LOL
Old 2007-10-04, 03:11 AM   #3
Tragelsvie

Default Qosmio G30. Not quite as good as it looks on paper.

I am using my Qosmio G30 for HD-DVDs but am not happy with it and will move to a stand alone HD DVD player.

Here is a list of the fine print items that aren't easily found on websites but are major sticking points for the Qosmio.

1) You can play regular DVDs but not HD DVDs on the Qosmio player. The Qosmio player allows you to play regular DVDs without powering up the computer's XP or Vista operating system. So if you want to play a HD DVD you have to power up and log on your regular operating system which takes a lot longer.

2) The laptop has to be plugged in to play HD DVDs (energy hog). You can't run them on battery power alone like regular DVDs so if you thought you would take your Qosmio on a plane to watch HD DVDs think twice.

3) The watching of HD DVDs is dependent on the WIN HD DVD software. This is a problem for a few reasons:
A) Both it and the video drivers seem to need constant updating in order to play any HD DVDs. Thus it takes about a half hour of searching out and downloading updates and drivers before you can play any new HD DVDs. To make matters worse sometimes HD DVDs you successfully played before no longer work. Currently Serenity and BAtman Begins work fine. The Matrix Trilogy at one point was working (no longer) and I have yet to find downloads or updates to allow me to watch the 300.
B) The playing of HD DVDs requires almost all of the first gen Qosmio G30s processing power and memory in order to play smoothly. This means as you install new software which runs in the background (antivirus software, retrospect hard drive software etc) the playback quality of HD DVDs deteriorates with very noticeable skips and freezes. Heaven forbid you get any spyware or spam installed because that would probably lock up the HD DVD playback entirely.
C) This also means any software that autmoatically looks for and downloads software updates can interrupt your HD DVD playback (ie windows updates mcafee updates, etc etc) As a result you have to either manually shut off all of those functions or leave your computer on a while so it clears all the new updates prior to playing the HD DVD.
D) To get around this problem you have to go in to task manager and start shutting down manually as many processes as you can without crashing your computer. I have tinkered around with this a bit and for me manually shutting off the MAxtor retrospect software application, windows explorer and all itunes and quicktime proceesses does the trick. (at least for the discs I have been able to play so far)
E) Last but definitely not least the WIN HD DVD software is licensed. After a few years (think it was ?5) the license expires and you may not be able to play any HD DVD movies on the player without buying new license privilages. It hasn't been determined whether Toshiba will pay for and supply the updated license at tha time. If not I smell a class action lawsuit as that little tid bit of information is definitely not pointed out in any of their regular info and how retarded is it to have a HD DVD drive that can only play movies you already own for 5 years. Like did they really expect that people would pay additional money every 5 years on top of the HD DVD disc cost?

4) HDMI output directly to the TV allows excellent image quality and with the Dot by Dot resolution on my Sharp 37 GP1U I basically get a 37" computer monitor (this is wicked awesome)
BUT........
In order to get an audio signal through the HDMI cable you have to disable dolby digital on the computers audio settings and the signal you get through the HDMI cable appears to be an analog single channel signal and as a reult you can't get 5.1 or 7.1 sound from it. Furthermore this HDMI audio signal overrides the headphone/SPIDF signal to the tv if I try to use a direct audio jack to the tV. The only alternative i can think of, that I haven't tried yet is to try to run a SPIDF line to my receiver or intervening computer. Given all the hype the Qosmio has about its 1 bit audio processor and audio settings that allow you to select 5.1 or 7.1 speaker settings you would think the audio connections from the thing would be easier to use.

Finally the HD DVD drive is finicky and not as good as a regular DVD player at reading standard discs. I have not been able to get it to play the second half of my standard DVD discs from the TV show Lost (brand new out of the box and even after additional cleaning) thought the exact same DVDs work just fine on my stand alone progressive scan DVD player.
Old 2007-10-04, 07:41 AM   #4
hugh
Member #1

tragelsvie, some great feedback. Thanks for posting!
Old 2007-10-06, 05:01 PM   #5
Tragelsvie

Thanks. hope it helps someone.
Old 2009-11-30, 01:57 AM   #6
Tragelsvie

Default Long term update. Some reliability issues.

This computer lasted a whole 2 years before its video card died despite below average use.

Of course it was past its warranty date so no help there.

Apparently you cannot replace the video card without replacing the motherboard too and at a quote of over $1000 to fix, it simply was not worth it.It has basically become a piece of scrap which I will dissect and dismantle for fun. Maybe I can sell some of the functional components as used parts.

This problem I found, after a search of the web. is not uncommon for this particular model and seems to be a hardware problem with the card and not specifically a heating problem, as some users who did replace their cards and motherboards had failures in the replacement too despite taking extraordinary cooling measures.