USB2.0 Digital TV Tuners - Page 20 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2012-03-15, 12:00 PM   #286
balm
Veteran

Default Audio

Audio with AC3 filter AND latest SmartDVBfiles he sent me is now working !
balm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-18, 09:15 AM   #287
majortom
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by balm View Post
DTube doesnt say WIN7 is supported, same for ATI 650, and Aero doesnt have RF coaxial input !
All 3 of the USB tuners I have, come with external rf inputs. Otherwise I wouldn't even have them.
I was under the impression you were able to get your 950Q working.
On a side note, though Hauppauge makes no mention of it on their product pages,
using TSReader, I just confirmed the Hauppauge Aero M can do Clear QAM (tested in XP only).

Of the devices i have, driver support can be summarised like this:
Code:
Device     Linux    XP       WIN7   QAM enabled   Comp ANA In
inDtube     Y       Y         Y         N             Y
Aero M      Y       Y         Y         Y             N
ATI650 USB  N       Y         N         Y             Y
Old 2012-03-18, 10:11 AM   #288
balm
Veteran

Default Update

Majortom,

Thanks for the clarifications.

Yes, my 950Q and WINTV v7 now functions correctly (since I did Windows repair Install),

HOWEVER,

Jacks SmartDVB (latest) sent to me as a package does not always work with the 950Q (v7 drivers), it worked one time then not anymore, and cant get signal level bar.
Old 2012-03-18, 10:24 AM   #289
majortom
Veteran

not certain i'd get too hung up on the signal bar at this point. first priority should be stabilising it. The Hauppauge Aero M indicates zero "Signal Level" as well in Smartdvb. Its the quality indicator that matters.

From my testing, with TSReader's ATSC.dlls (we can play with TSReader's ATSC Source DLLs since we have the source code). The information reported by the frontend hardware in two of three tuners here is useless in terms of "Signal Level" anyhow.

I'm sure he'll get around to fixing up the aesthetics sooner or later.
Still working with him to try and get Clear QAM working in SmartDVB.
Old 2012-03-18, 10:27 AM   #290
balm
Veteran

agreed,

at least I know it can work with latest drivers, just not sure yet why its so unstable....guess more log files will help...

thanks
Old 2012-03-18, 05:10 PM   #291
CamDAB

Location: Far East End of Hamilton, ON (Lake & Barton, 11th floor facing WNW)

For what this is worth, I had a hard drive slowly go belly up.... In the process, it corrupted the WinTV7 channel database.

Result: Win7 would start, then quickly exit on it's own, no error reporting.

If I then load the channel recording program viewer / editor, it would show as normal minus the grid lines. Nothing else could be done with it.

I was able to do a complete drive image before the whole shebang went west.

A re-image onto a new drive worked flawlessly, including bringing back the corrupted WinTV7 install. :-)

Re-did the install from the web download of WinTV7... When it found the previous channel database, I told it to NOT use it, but create a new channel database, and all worked perfectly.

This may not be your problem, but corruption of various elements of the WinTV7 install do seem to upset it quite easily.

One oddity, the "Open Scheduler (only)" icon *ALWAYS" leaves it on screen, but not having focus. The "Open Recordings (only)" icon works correctly. Strange....

BTW, this is all on Win7, x64 platform using WinTV7 with a 950Q

Cameron

Last edited by CamDAB; 2012-03-18 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Tuner clarification
CamDAB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-07, 12:16 AM   #292
erorr

Default usb tuner

Does viewing ota television on a laptop using a usb tuner use internet bandwidth ?
erorr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-07, 01:06 AM   #293
j0dest3r
Veteran

Nope not at all, only a bit for the guide data every once in a while, but that's it.
j0dest3r is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-07, 09:38 AM   #294
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

^^^It can sometimes get guide data from the OTA broadcast so that isn't even necessary, unless your software insists on it.
Old 2013-10-17, 10:08 AM   #295
jfguay2
Rookie

Location: Aylmer, Maurice St-Louis, CM4228HD +RCA pre-amp in the attic

Hello,

I have an ATI TV wonder 650 hd usb, and win 7, and when tuning HD channels OTA, I am getting choppy playback when comparing to using the tuner on the TV directly. I have looked at acceleration settings on the PC not to avail. When playing a video off of media center, a downloaded video that is, it is playing fine. Would it be settings or the video card memory? My pc has 3 gigs of ram, albeit not a recent one. Any idea? I can't watch hockey as it is too choppy, almost as it the display could not keep up with all the frames.
jfguay2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-10-17, 10:42 AM   #296
pnear

A couple things to check:
1. The drivers for your video card (not the tuner, but the video card). Get it from the manufacturer's website (Intel, AMD, nVidia) not windows update.
2. Deinterlacing. Some channels broadcast in 720p, some in 1080i.

If you notice the issue mostly on channels broadcasting in 1080i, then it might be a deinterlacing issue. Many video drivers have the ability through their setup utility to use different de-interlacing schemes, if so try changing those.

If you're seeing more blocky type of artifacts, it could be that the tuner just isn't as sensitive as the one in your TV and the channels aren't coming in strong. You can do a signal strength check in media center settings to check that.

-Pete
pnear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-10-17, 07:55 PM   #297
majortom
Veteran

As another test, maybe set it to record the station while hockey is on, but don't display it while your recording it. Let it record about 5-10 minutes worth, then play the recording back. Same issue when playing the recording?

I think for me, the last time I tried using windows, Which was probably couple years ago, the best codec for me to use on OTA were the "Microsoft DTV" codecs. Seemed to behave the best for me. That was while using SmartDVB. What software are you using??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.