Laser Eye Surgery - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2006-09-15, 09:46 AM   #46
Ruthless82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
And why do you say that?
Because that's what I've been reading in my research. There is a good debate out there between two respected surgeons each supporting their stance on why they prefer each method. In the end it comes down to what your surgeon is more comfortable with. Intralase has only been around for about 3 years and is a privately owned technology that only one company can produce. Apparently it is easier to learn how to use, so a lot of the newer surgeons are being trained on it, but surgeons who have been using a keratome for years are more comfortable with it. It's a fact that it takes longer to make a flap with the laser. The profession hasn't widely agreed on which one to use (blade vs laser) but the blade has proven itself over the last 15 years (at least) whereas the laser only has a few years of use.

Statistical studies that have been done comparing the intralase vs the keratome have shown no difference in the results that the patients have show. Each have the possibility of complication, and each surgeon will tell you their method is better and has less likeliness of complication, but the reality is that there is no statistical evidence out there to back that up.
Advertisement

Old 2006-09-15, 09:49 AM   #47
Ruthless82

Quote:
Originally Posted by que3jxp View Post
And what is "no compression"?
Zero compression is the latest tech for the keratome (blade) used in the flap making portion of the procedure. That's about as far as I know on it.
Old 2006-09-15, 09:49 AM   #48
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless82 View Post
Because that's what I've been reading in my research.
I mean why do you say that in the context of the "no frills" surgeon? They used a blade with me and I did say earlier that it took like 10 seconds per eyes for me.
Old 2006-09-15, 11:57 AM   #49
Proteosome
Veteran

I am a little shocked by the overwhelming support of laser eye surgery. It is egging me on to have it done. However, I am curious about two related things.

Of the people who have commented here (and those to come), what was the condition of your eyesight prior to the surgery? How bad was your vision?

Similarly, did anybody require the use of a lower prescription lens after the surgery? Maybe only for reading or driving?

My vision is not the worst but it is certainly on its way. My contact prescription is at -8.0. My biggest fear as I mentioned earlier is to have the surgery and still need glasses.
Old 2006-09-15, 12:02 PM   #50
MarcP
Veteran

My contact lens prescription was -6.5 on both eyes. It was really bad and it got corrected in a matter of minutes.

I have been glasses free ever since. My vision is still 20/20 three years later. And I got no problems whatsoever at night (my night vision was worse with contact lenses).
Old 2006-09-15, 12:03 PM   #51
Ruthless82

Quote:
I mean why do you say that in the context of the "no frills" surgeon? They used a blade with me and I did say earlier that it took like 10 seconds per eyes for me.

Actually I said there was no such thing as a no frills surgeon. I was merely pointing out that one difference between some clinics is the method in which they make the flap. Some places offer both options, some places offer intralase (commonly more expensive), and some offer only the keratome. Plus I'm the one going to Lasik MD =)
Old 2006-09-15, 12:05 PM   #52
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless82 View Post
Actually I said there was no such thing as a no frills surgeon.
Doh!!! got you mixed up with the one who made the comment.
Old 2006-09-15, 12:07 PM   #53
Ruthless82

Quote:
Doh!!! got you mixed up with the one who made the comment.
No worries, I forgive you
Old 2006-09-15, 12:27 PM   #54
Al58

Default My 2 cents

I am in the med/surg field and have spoken to surgeons and administrators that do these procedures. One thing I can say is to be sure you go to a place that has done these procedures for some time.

I spoke with somebody at one of the most respected clinics here and they said that 5+ years ago laser surgery was getting somewhat of a bad rap because many new clinics were opening up and doing procedures at lower costs to get their share of the market, with not great results. That has somewhat smoothed out now, but the underlying message was go to a clinic with experience in this, not the lowest price.

The other interesting thing is I have a friend that is a sales rep in the field and he says the majority of cataract surgeons he sees that are older all have glasses, which means they have not opted for laser corrective surgery. Kind of makes you think doesnt it ?
Old 2006-09-15, 05:54 PM   #55
stimpsonjcat

Quote:
A "no frills" eye surgeon? How do you know that? Is price the only basis for your statement? So in your world price equals quality all the time, everytime?

Then you must be a huge fan of the Monster brand when it comes to your HT, right? Monster must be the only quality product out there.
By the way I don't buy Monster Brand products and never will,
but I do shop at No Frills.......

O.K. Maybe "No Frills" weren't the correct words to use in this case,
but all I'm saying is that some people like to buy Cadillacs and some people like to buy Hyundai Accents. People buy different things for different reasons and like I said before, I was just giving another option of places to go.
You got what you wanted from your Laser surgery and I got what I wanted from mine.
I think enough is enough now. Don't you!
Old 2006-09-15, 06:07 PM   #56
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
but all I'm saying is that some people like to buy Cadillacs and some people like to buy Hyundai Accents.
A more accurate analogy is that we both bought the same Cadillac, but I got mine at a much lower price. However, it's still the same Cadillac.
Old 2006-10-02, 05:54 PM   #57
Ruthless82

So I had my surgery on Friday and it went really well. I was back the next day for my check-up and everything seems to be healing well. So far I am at 20/15 in the left eye and 20/20 in the right eye. I'm in such a good mood about how everything went, I can't say enough good things about it. I could see perfectly by about 6pm that night (had the surgery at around 11am).
Old 2006-10-02, 06:25 PM   #58
MAXAM

Glad to hear it! I was wondering how you would make out.
Old 2006-10-02, 07:49 PM   #59
PakMan

Quote:
My contact lens prescription was -6.5 on both eyes. It was really bad and it got corrected in a matter of minutes.

I have been glasses free ever since. My vision is still 20/20 three years later. And I got no problems whatsoever at night (my night vision was worse with contact lenses).
Where did you go and what was the going rate??
Old 2006-10-02, 07:51 PM   #60
MarcP
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakMan View Post
Where did you go and what was the going rate??
I went to LasikMD in Mississauga (www.lasikmd.ca) and it cost me $975 per eyes (tax free).