Laser Eye Surgery - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2009-03-12, 03:18 PM   #151
Danster

I had dry eyes for over 6 months if I recall right. I had to put a special ointment that would almsot be like real tears. I think it was called something liposic or lipasic. Just out of curiousity, did you have it done at LasikMD chain of eye suregery?
Advertisement

Old 2009-03-13, 12:45 AM   #152
Norby

danster,

yes, I had it done at lasikmd.

The dry eye is real bad but I'm also having focusing issues, anything within a few feet takes a lot of work to focus in on and remain focused. Did you have any issues with stuff like computer work or reading after the surgery? My eyes are getting sore right now as I try and type this email. Even stuff like driving or watching TV is real hard on my eyes.
Old 2009-03-13, 04:43 PM   #153
Norby

LasikMD, the clinic that did my eyes here in Canada did not bother to tell me ahead of time that my large pupil size was a serious threat to my night vision. Now they are claiming that with my pupil size I had to have experienced bad night vision before the surgery which I did not. I feel like such an idiot for putting my trust in people that were not qualified enough to deserve it. Qualifications that I feel were lacking were both technical and simple honesty. The bottom line for these lasik clinics is the dollar.

Sorry for all the ranting, a bit of therapy for me to a large extent.
Old 2009-03-13, 05:07 PM   #154
Danster

Well I feel sorry for you. I had mine done there as well and they did tell me my pupil was way bigger than the average joe. They had warned me about halos because of that but having worn glasses for way too long, I took my chance. Do I regret it? Not at all. I was also a mechanic in the forces at the time and it never bothered me. Less than a month after the surgery, I was back to my own self minus the dry eyes.

I still have halos but only when I'm extremely tired. I also had them done at LazikMD in montreal. I have no complaints. You my friend have been the very small percentage that has had the surgery go wrong. I'm sure I'd be like you if I had the same results that you got.

But to say they did you wrong and that they are not a good place to go, is not really fair for those who have had a successful operation. Again, I deeply sympathize with you. We only have one set of eyes and once they are screwed, it's game over. I'm pretty sure you can't ask your mom to make you another set...
Old 2009-03-13, 05:53 PM   #155
Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisc View Post
$5400 seems to be about the going rate for the high-end "reputable" guys, that's what Bochner quoted me.
When I went in early 2007, $5400 was what Bochner charged as a flat rate, and that was also what TLC and Herzig charged, regardless of the specific procedure they decide to use on you. As this is what Focus Eye Centre in Ottawa also charges flat-rate, then travisc appears to be right about the high end "reputable" guys.

None of this "starting at $499" BS, or charging depending on the procedure and prescription level, like what LasikMD advertises and does. That alone should set off alarm bells amongst customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norby
If a patient eyes were out by say 10 diopters there's not enough corneal tissue in any eye to correct without burning the cornea down to almost nothing.
Not quite true, it depends on every individual. LASIK is possible up to -12.75 (with the most current LASIK technology) if you have a really thick cornea, although it also depends on if you have any astigmatism. My nearsightedness was very high (-10.0), but I had almost zero astigmatism. When I went in for the assessment, my cornea thickness was one of the first things they checked for. Fortunately, I had a really high cornea thickness with lots of room to spare, so I was able to get LASIK surgery, and had the great results I described in an earlier post.

Because Bochner is also a general eye surgery centre (Bochner has existed since 1929, long before laser eye surgery existed or even imagined), they are also qualified to perform alternatives such as lens implants (similar to what is used with cataracts patients) to fix nearsightedness if a candidate can't get LASIK, although I'm sure the cost would be different. Fortunately, it never came to me needing to consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norby
The bottom line for these lasik clinics is the dollar.
Don't paint all laser eye clinics with the same brush (including the reputable ones) because of your specific bad experience with Lasik MD. As Danster and many others have said, lots of people are extremely happy with the results.
Old 2009-03-13, 06:27 PM   #156
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

I had Lasik with SBK (or whatever it's called) at Gimbel in Calgary. Gimbel is one of the more reputable places in the west although LasikMD has an add in the Calgary Sun just about every day!

3 years later, no dry eye and no burning. But the night vision with glaring, starbursts, and halo's is pretty bad. However, it can change day to day or even minute to minute and naturally is worse when I'm tired.

Driving can be bad, and watching TV in a non-bright room when it's white letters on a black background can be terrible. But it's probably better than, 20 years of contacts and 25 years of glasses. And the issues of not being able to get contacts that make things "just right". Especially frustrating when one eye was a different perscription than the other.

So the glaring and starbursts will never go away - that's just a fact of life for me from now on. However I'd probably say that overall it was worth it. I guess it's just a classic case of the pros outweighing the cons. The thing to understand is that in my case there definitely are cons.

When I'm outside on a clear day or usually anywhere in natural light I feel like my sight is just amazing. Movie or TV show credits with white letters on a black background - terrible. Oh well, happy over all I guess.
Old 2009-03-14, 05:57 AM   #157
east1
Rookie

I had posted orginally on 2009-02-10, 12:56 PM (PG #7)

Had my surgery done on June 28 2008

Ive noticed someone saying how LasikMD ruined their life, I know how that frustration feels but I had mine done at LasikMD in Toronto and other than Halos and what I think now is Dry eye (only started to bother me a few weeks ago) my actual vision quality is fine.

Its incredible to not bother with glasses/contacts. However, the halos are not as bad as those photos a person posted before because i can drive at night with relative ease. My halos are more of an annoyance than an actual problems especially in the daylight when i see starbursts.

I use refresh ultra tears on a daily bases and get some stinging sensation in my eye when i use them at irregular intervals (like 3+ hrs) but i heard the Gel drops are better (and MUCH more expensive!).

as far as regretting my surgery, its really a 50/50 issue because everything used to be blurry without correction, glasses were a burden to carry and contacts were a hassle. There are days when I wish i hadnt done the surgery and other days when i barely think of it.

As mentioned in my initial post the doctors continue to tell me I really dont seem like a person who will have permanent halos (only my pupil size was slightly larger)and assure me it can take up to 1 year to go away and my lasikMD surgeon commented how he thinks i made the right choice with standard lasik instead of zyoptix because i am "middle of the road" (so much for lining their pockets up?). Also my regular eye doctor works with a well known eye doctor (locally) who it takes up to 8 months to even get an appointment with him and he checked my eyes because i had somehow slept with my eye open and strained my eye while sleeping and got double vision in my right eye (which went away the next day)was amazed at how my "flap" could barely be seen, which is similar to the person in this thread who mentioned his eye doctor being surprised to hear he had the lasik.

I also dont think its fair to insult LasikMD because in my opinion i believe murphys law comes into place for people like me and Norby. Whatever can go wrong in the individual circumstance WILL. I really believe LasikMD is not to blame completely.

Even though the halos are a HUGE annoyance it doesnt interfere in anyway with my everyday life (like i dont avoid doing ______ as a result of it) same with my dry eyes,however when i am fatigued it is worse. When i go for my 1 year followup i will mention it to them again if my halos are still here, i have read about tear duct implants for dry eyes and halo-specific drops to reduce pupil size.

The guy above me mentions about being out on a clear day the vision is amazing. I am similar, it MIGHT sound lame but for the first weeks after my surgery when i could take off my sun glasses i was completely amazed at the detail of things which i never noticed with glasses or contacts. I still notice similar things to this day, things the average joe considers to be insignificant
Old 2009-03-14, 07:38 PM   #158
Norby

It seems like almost everybody that goes in and gets lasik comes out with night vision issues. I just wish the lasik clinics would be honest about this fact up front instead of playing it out as something that only happens in a small number of cases. The clinic is telling me that I had problems with night vision before lasik, well if thats true they made them 10+ times worse.

Has anybody had any luck in trying to reduce their night vision issues? I've heard of the drops that reduce pupil size but they are suppose to increase dry eye. I've also heard about RGP contact lenses and that they can be quite effective in reducing night vision problems while at the same time helping to relieve dry eye issues.
Old 2009-03-14, 08:40 PM   #159
Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norby View Post
It seems like almost everybody that goes in and gets lasik comes out with night vision issues.
More exaggerations. SOME people, not "almost everybody", gets night vision issues.

Other than the first 48 hours post-surgery (when we're extra sensitive to brightness), I have not had any night vision issues, and neither do the six people I know who also had it done.

One person of the six others had halos initially, but she said it went away after three months. Dry eye is normal in the initial one to two month period. I had it during that time, but it also went away, especially after I stopped needing to take the anti-bacterial and other eyedrops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norby View Post
I just wish the lasik clinics would be honest about this fact up front instead of playing it out as something that only happens in a small number of cases.
I got a big folder containing a ton of literature from the clinic I went to, and it explained potential risks, and was told to read it before agreeing to the surgery.

If the clinic you went to (LasikMD) is the problem, call them by name instead of saying all "lasik clinics". Stop blaming the whole laser eye industry and other clinics because of your own individual experience with the one you went to. There are a lot of people who are extremely happy with getting the surgery performed on them. Your experience is the exception, not the norm.
Old 2009-03-14, 10:43 PM   #160
tat2

Norby - First off, I'm sorry the surgery didn't work out for you as well as it can for others. No one is denying it can't happen. All surgery's carry risk.

However, after reading some of your posts I think you need to find a professional to talk to, for some real help to assist you in dealing with your issues regarding your failed surgery (as opposed to just venting on the web) in addition to the eye doctors you seem to to already be seeing.

Good Luck, I hope it all gets better for you.
Old 2009-03-15, 12:17 AM   #161
east1
Rookie

Although I really do believe Lasik procedures can ruin someones life i think alot of the websites that talk about lasik issues and how people can really blow it out of proportion. I do fully admit i see halos/starbursts and have dry eye but its mild and hopefully doesnt get worse.

Does that mean i think these sites are all lies? not at all, there is always issues and as seen with me and other people who post we all get some sort of issues.

I still stand by the fact that i have no ghosting, glare, double ,blurred vision or contrast sensitivity that affects my actual sight. I can actually spot dust when it falls infront of my face and actually pin point it with both eyes.

I can say for sure that i have halos and starburts
http://www.visionsurgeryrehab.org/la...s/halos1SK.jpg
What I see is at the top right, i checked many times and i can infact see the actual light bulb or the cap protecting it on street lamp.

and i also see some of this which is how i know its starbursts
http://www.visionsurgeryrehab.org/la...s/XmasTree.jpg

see link below for examples of vision problems (the ghosting ones made my head hurt :|)
http://www.visionsurgeryrehab.org/nightdrivingblur.html
Old 2009-03-15, 12:52 PM   #162
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Yeah I see similar to "East". My night vision is similar to the top right or the Christmas tree.

As for drops, yes initially they gave me some perscription drops that they give to glucoma patients. They were to reduce swelling. Put a drop of that stuff in each eye and give it 15 minutes and the results were absolutely phenomenal. I mean, glare went down to ZERO. Starbursts ZERO. Halo's ZERO. It was truly amazing - I've never seen so well in my life. And my pupils shrunk down to little dots.

The problem was that the next day my eyes would feel tired. You know how if you've been drinking a little too much the night before, the next day it just seems like an extra effort to focus your eyes. Well it was sort of like that - muscles felt a little tired the next day.

So for a while I'd use those on special occasions but rarely. Then the perscription would expire and I'd have to get a new one, etc etc etc. Hence I gave up on it and haven't used the drops in probably a couple of years.

I've just got used to my eyes the way they are. Daytime vision is usually pretty darn great. Night-time has starbursts and glare most of the time but varies from eye to eye day to day. It's just that darn white letters on black backgrounds on the TV that really messes me up.
Old 2009-03-16, 01:42 PM   #163
travisc
Veteran

Personally I find it hard to believe that someone would choose to go with the "middle of the road" procedure instead of the better technology. The newer stuff reduces stuff like night-vision problems and gives more accurate results. Why pinch pennies if your vision is at stake?
Old 2009-03-17, 01:58 PM   #164
east1
Rookie

well trasvisc

it was a combination of a few things, the zyoptix wasnt recommended for me because of my perscription + only 1 negative contributing factor (larger pupils), so i made the choice because according to the tests there was no real reason to get zyoptix. If I remember correctly they told me it was a standard lasik 5% chance to develop permanent halos/starbursts compared to the zyoptix 2% chance.
Old 2009-03-18, 03:00 AM   #165
Norby

According to my clinic the halos/startbursts that I'm now seeing were actually there before the surgery, well if they were their now about 20 times worse! So their just going to write my complications off as being an issue that was there before surgery.

I wonder how they come up with the numbers for permanent complications? When does a complication become permanent, 1yr, 2yrs? Never if you keep telling the patient that it will eventually go away. I don't think any of the eye surgeons would be interested in conducting an honest scientific study regarding complication rates as this could cause a drop in business.