Gas Fireplace Problems - Won't Light or Stay Lit - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > Home Fix-up including Appliances, HVAC and Power Tools

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 2006-09-03, 10:34 AM   #1
filper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,896
Default Gas Fireplace Problems - Won't Light or Stay Lit

I can't relight my pilot. I've tried several times and although it does ignite, when I release the the button, the flame goes out.

It once stayed on for about a minute.

I have always turned off the pilot during the summer months as even the pilot seemed to radiate quite a bit of heat.

The fireplace is only 6 years old.

Any ideas ?
__________________
simplicity is genius...
filper is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 2006-09-03, 10:38 AM   #2
PakMan
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 123
Default

Hi,
I've had this on and off again. Have you checked to see if there is enough gas going through. On my gas fireplace there is another valve that controls the amound of gas going to the fireplace which in turn controls the amount of flame the fireplace is producing.
I re-lit mine a couple of days ago and I was surprised that it stay lit. I held in the pilot for 30-45 seconds then moved the switch to on.
Voila!
__________________
Own SA1840 8300HD/Rent 8300HDPVR * Harmony 880 * Aquos LC42D72U * Yamaha HTR-6030
PakMan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 10:43 AM   #3
filper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,896
Default

I should have titled the post 'Won't Stay Lit'... I tried to change it.

I never turned off the gas supply. The pilot just goes out when I release the knob.
__________________
simplicity is genius...
filper is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 10:56 AM   #4
CamG
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Stoney Creek
Posts: 594
Default

Sounds like it could be a faulty thermo-couple.
Do you have a voltage tester ? The thermo-couple should be giving off a small mV value when the pilot is on... I can't remember exactly but somwhere around 20mV.
__________________
PN50A530, Cogeco cable 6412 PVR, Onkyo TX-DS595, B&W Speakers, Harmony 880, Sony BDPS350

Last edited by CamG; 2006-09-03 at 11:04 AM.
CamG is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 11:52 AM   #5
MACJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Sounds like it could be a faulty thermo-couple.

Thats most likely the problem. Better now to replace it than in January. The part itself is not expensive but if your not comfortable changing it ( I wasn't ), then your looking at probably $100-$125 for the part and a furnace repair persons labour.

Last edited by MACJ; 2006-09-03 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Just wanted to indicate the price for replacement
MACJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 11:56 AM   #6
filper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACJ View Post
Thats most likely the problem.
Is that something I could do myself ? Cost ?
__________________
simplicity is genius...
filper is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 11:57 AM   #7
57
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Posts: 52,706
Default

The gas in the line often goes bad (air ingress or whatever) if not used for a while. Simply leave your finger on the pilot button a little longer and you should be fine and the pilot will stay lit when you release the button.

If that doesn't work, then the other issue is likely the cause.
__________________
57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 12:05 PM   #8
filper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oakville, ON
Posts: 2,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
The gas in the line often goes bad (air ingress or whatever) if not used for a while. Simply leave your finger on the pilot button a little longer and you should be fine and the pilot will stay lit when you release the button.

If that doesn't work, then the other issue is likely the cause.
I've tried at least 10 times and held the button for 2 minutes twice...

Thanks for changing the title for me .
__________________
simplicity is genius...
filper is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 12:19 PM   #9
otown47
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bowmanville
Posts: 3,955
Default

Probably a dumb comment, but make sure the control knob is set to PILOT and not RUN....
otown47 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 12:22 PM   #10
57
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Posts: 52,706
Default

Actually, you have to turn it to run (or on) when you release the button.
__________________
57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 12:57 PM   #11
otown47
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bowmanville
Posts: 3,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Actually, you have to turn it to run (or on) when you release the button.
yes once the pilot light is stable....
otown47 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 01:25 PM   #12
phringe
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1
Default Pilot

Its most definatly the thermocouple/powerpile. If you follow it back, and it splits to 2 leads, its a powerpile. If its copper looking with a nut on the end, its a thermocouple. If it doesn't stay lit after 1 minute, change it.. Either way, if your at all 'unsure' get a service man to do it for you.. Don't try to adjust the 'gas' yourself..
phringe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 01:44 PM   #13
Mexicanuck
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC
Posts: 1,388
Default

Do you have a wall switch for this fireplace? I recall having a similar problem a few years ago when we had a gas fireplace in a different home. Our problem started after about 6-8 years.

The problem turned out to be with the wall switch. When I investigated, I learned that this micro-amp (or some such designation) switch was going to cost some exhorbitant price, like $50 or $100 or something.

Then the staff at Home Depot told me I could use a regular wall switch. He said it would have to be replaced every four or five years, but it only cost something like $5.00.

It turned out that the original switch was the inexpensive kind too. I put in the cheap switch and everything was fine for as long as we lived there.
__________________
"Don't quote me on this." - Anonymous
Mexicanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 03:04 PM   #14
CamG
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Stoney Creek
Posts: 594
Default

If you are comfortable doing it I would check the thermo-couple, However here is one more thought...
Has the fireplace been hit or knocked with anything heavy like furniture ?

There is a limit switch on the outside of most units that is pressed between the fireplace and the wall / bracing holding the fireplace. If the fireplace is hit hard enough to move it, the limit switch will open. This opens the circuit to the coil on the gas valve and will not let it close electronically, only manually, which is what you are doing when you try to start it. This limit switch is a safety switch incase someone drives into the side of your house.. it shuts off the gas immediately to turn the fire place off….

This happened to my fireplace about 3 years ago and it took me almost a day to find the darn switch. There is probably a jumper on the front panel that you can short out to test this switch, however you would probably need the schematics for your fireplace to find it.

If you are not comfortable doing any of this I would call in a professional.

CamG
__________________
PN50A530, Cogeco cable 6412 PVR, Onkyo TX-DS595, B&W Speakers, Harmony 880, Sony BDPS350
CamG is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-09-03, 03:32 PM   #15
ht_addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 306
Default

Have you take a little piece off steel wool to the tip of the pilot and remove any excess build up of carbon there maybe? You could have some blocked holes.
ht_addict is offline   Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Search Digital Home

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.