Free to Air -HDTV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2006

Old 2006-07-15, 05:44 PM   #1
Steaman

Question Free to Air -HDTV

Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum.

Currently I have Shaw HDTV Motorola box and getting only 7 HD channels , mostly US (Seattle).

Is is possible to get Free to Air System and will it work with same cable line?

Also I was told by Cable company that Satellite (Free to Air) is illegal.

I am confused. If any body can help me please.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-07-15, 06:00 PM   #2
james99

FTA is not illegal unless you modify it to pick up encrypted channels.

Like any satellite, you need RG6 and not RG59 cable (that you probably have with your HD box).

There's another thread that talks about a brand new HD FTA box.

Check that out since 99% of FTA receivers are not HD.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=34990
Old 2006-07-15, 08:56 PM   #3
Steaman

Thanks a lot James99.
I have got Sharp Aquos LC-45GX6U with AVC box and Motorola box from Shaw cable + Denon HDMI receiver ..
So I will see if I can buy Pansat-7000 HD for HDTV view.
Is there any special size requirement for dish or Cable!
Do we need professional installer for dish or we can do by ourselves.
Old 2006-07-15, 09:55 PM   #4
james99

Before shelling out big bucks for a HD FTA receiver, you need to find out what HD channels are available. I'm not sure the answer to that question.

Depending on where you live, OTA is an option.
Old 2006-07-15, 11:54 PM   #5
tdti1

You will want a big dish 10' to get the most HD, and with that you mite as well get a 4dtv/HDD 200 and slave a DVB HD receiver to it, a c/ku setup is best.
Old 2006-07-16, 02:47 PM   #6
Steaman

Exclamation Fta

I am from Edmonton and would like to thank the owner of this site.
It is very very informative. I am now hooked to this one.

Now regarding HD, I will have to do more research that how many channels I will get.

Option to go for 10' dish is looks very expensive & I don't know how much total package cost will be?

Currently I paid $300 for Motorola HD box from Shaw Cable and they charge every month more than $100 for package and I get only 8 HD channels.

I read OTA but looks too complicated than FTA.

Which one shall I go FTA or OTA, so that I get best HD stuff with good value for money spent.
Old 2006-07-16, 03:05 PM   #7
tdti1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steaman
Option to go for 10' dish is looks very expensive & I don't know how much total package cost will be?
Big dish is the way to go, the investment mite be bigger than you may think, but to be honest not as big as buying a nice big HDTV, so it is well worth it and it pays for it's self over and over again.

A 4dtv and a HDD 200 will be good to get now, look around for a used big dish that looks to be in good shape, get some buddys to help you take it to your place and put it up following what is on these great web pages:
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html
http://boresight.ripco.com/ (first link on page)

Try to find a dish that does not seem to be warped or damaged in anyway, and has the smallest mesh holes you can find, I bet if you try hard you will find a nice 10' or 12' dish free or for $50-$100, most probably it will have a C-band only feed setup, upgrading is a snap and a c/ku feed with lnbs is the best way to go.

After setting this all up there will probably be a nice new DVB HD unit on the market and you can slave it to the 4dtv like this:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm

Big dish is number one for picture and sound quality, it will be better than what you get now, and if all goes well a new big dish receiver will hit the market next year and you will get even more HD plus on demand service from these guys:
http://www.auroras.tv/index-home.html

Good luck dish hunting, also if you do get the 4dtv and have family or a good friend in the usa have them order the programming for you, and you can just send them a cheque, it will be cheaper than what the Canadian big dish providers sell for.

I sub to Starz thats about 30 SD 24/7 channels that look great plus two HD channels for about $120cnd a year, I also sub to HBO and Showtime and get about 50 more channels plus HBO HD and Showtime HD, I sub for 3 months or for the year and it is a great price, I am a movie lover, I get PBS HD free and I sub to Discover HD at times if I want to
Good Luck!

Oh and all the free channels you get is a bonus

Last edited by tdti1; 2006-07-16 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2006-07-16, 03:28 PM   #8
Steaman

Exclamation Please share your HD experience with this setup

Thanks TDTi for valued information.
I am sure this will be all legal in Canada.
Solution given is worth spending money and time.
I will look for used Dish and hopefully I will pick up good one.
If anybody has gone with option for HD then please share.
Steaman
Old 2006-07-17, 07:11 AM   #9

4DTV HD can be summed up as:
Best choice for movies
PBS HD
+ Discovery HD
Best picture quality

No sports HD, very limited network HD

FTA HD:
Most broadcasters are/will be using encryption systems that will not allow you to view or purchase subscription.

My suggestion:
4DTV HD + SC Essentials package @ $31/month with DSR505 receiver
Forget FTA for HD
Old 2006-07-17, 09:41 AM   #10
tdti1

"No sports HD, very limited network HD"
NFL network should be coming soon

"FTA HD:
Most broadcasters are/will be using encryption systems that will not allow you to view or purchase subscription."
He will need to do research and learn how to use his system, the HD on is great, though he will need to be at the right place's to get the right info.

If he does get the big dish he can also keep his cable and cut it down to the smallest package or do what many people do get the movies and others from big dish and other programming from cable.

Oh we also get Wealth TV HD

If the Auroras deal goes through we will have nearly all the HD channels that are broadcasting