Dry Loop With Bell - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2006

Old 2006-05-23, 08:58 PM   #1
benven

Default Dry Loop With Bell

Does anybody here currently have dry loop service with Bell? I have been through 2 months of sheer agony speaking with at least a dozen CSR. I finally found someone who was able to help me out. Got everything set up for an install. The day before the install, another CSR calls me up and says that they do not yet offer dry loop service??? I didn't argue with her. She states it will be available in June. She then tells me someone else is going to call me within 48 hours to further explain the issue. 48 hours has come and gone and no phone call. I give up. Sorry for the rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-05-24, 06:00 AM   #2
DVDguy

Friend of mine has had a Dry Loop with Bell in Guelph for a while now. Not something that they advertise he said.... but it is working.
Old 2006-05-24, 07:33 AM   #3
hugh
Member #1

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Dry Loop is definitely not something they advertise!

If you search the forum you'll find others with it.
Old 2006-05-24, 07:55 AM   #4
benven

Thanks guys. I'll call Bell again and see if someone can help me out. It's for a work site where we currently have dial up. I tried the portable services from Rogers but can't get a very strong signal. Can't get cable. So DSL is my only other option. I really don't need a phone number, which is a way around all of this but is more costly per month. What if I order a phone number and then call Bell to disconnect, call up 3Web and get their DSL service. Will that work? Or does Bell disconnect at the demarcation point when you cancel a number, therefore, no physical line?
Old 2006-05-24, 08:01 AM   #5
silvertint

I am in Montreal, and have a dry loop. If they tell you no, speak to a higher power at be and insist that they do offer it and that you demand this service, as it was instated by the CRTC.
Old 2006-06-01, 11:11 PM   #6
benven

Well, I received a call from a "manager" yesterday. It seems that the service is not available to small businesses yet. Why didn't they just tell me that when I called. Anyway, he tells me that it will become available on June 12th. I asked him to call me on that day and get me set up ASAP. We'll see what happens.
Old 2006-06-02, 12:34 PM   #7
I_Want_My_HDTV

Arrow

You may end up paying almost as much for "line rental" as for a standard phone line. Here it is a minimum of $15 but I have heard of it being waved. I'm not sure why a business would want to be without standard phone service though.
Old 2006-06-02, 01:12 PM   #8
Yob

I recently signed up for "Residential Phone Service Without a Phone Line" (dry loop, naked DSL) Apparently it is available anywhere in Ontario where DSL is provided.

This is the direct phone number for Bell; 1-866-404-5744. They are very knowledgeable.

There are no extra costs if you have High Speed or High Speed Ultra.
(Primus and 3web don't charge extra either)

With Basic and Basic Lite there is a monthly $10 sur-charge.

It was seamless going from regular DSL to Dry Loop DSL.
Old 2006-06-04, 07:58 PM   #9
benven

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_My_HDTV
You may end up paying almost as much for "line rental" as for a standard phone line. Here it is a minimum of $15 but I have heard of it being waved. I'm not sure why a business would want to be without standard phone service though.
Cost quoted was $69.99/month no contract. We work in a site trailer on our customers site. We all have cell phones to make phone calls with. The phone line is used for dialing up. Which is really slow on our VPN. I really could have said it was for personal use. I need a techie to terminate the phone line since it is not our line, but rather the customers. It would have been so easy to piggy back onto the customers system, but they would not grant us access to their fiber.

Thanks yob for the info.
Old 2006-06-11, 07:23 PM   #10
bubble.tea

I moved to this boonie ville 4 months before dry loop was available., so I suffered and had to get a landline+activation. Then the WEEK I heard it was available I scheduled the change over.

No Line rental fees for me., no headache, in fact the first rep I spoke to said "oh wow., you're the first person who's asked me about this., let me review some things and get back to you-as I myself don't know that much".

Change over happened like clock work.

I've become quite the advocate for dry loop around here, among my friends and co-workers hehe.

Sorry for your astounding (half a dozen????) difficulties withe getting this sorted out .
Old 2006-06-12, 10:56 PM   #11
benven

Well..June 12th has come and gone. No phone call. Typical Bell. Can someone else come out and set up the DSL line or does it have to be Bell? That's my hold up. Once I have the line running, I'm jumping to 3web.
Old 2006-06-13, 06:02 PM   #12
mac dude

Why don't you try Teksavvy?

Here's a thread about their unlimited DSL on DSLReports (and I think they set up dry loop for you - at least it says so on their website). Rocky (in the thread) works for them.

I had 3web - it sucks right now an I cancelled - they're migrating to their network and it's really bad/inconsistent speeds with hour long waits with tech support.

Mind you I'm not with Teksavvy, but I hear much better things than with 3web, and they have a bunch of DSL options....
Old 2006-06-13, 08:35 PM   #13
benven

Thanks mac dude. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.