Accessing a Rogers outdoor enclosure box - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2006

Old 2006-05-22, 08:12 PM   #1
K2b

Default Accessing a Rogers outdoor enclosure box

Hi

I am not a current Rogers customer but there is a "Multilink" outdoor enclosure box on the side of my house. There is one of those F81 locks on it that is preventing me from accessing the indoor cable wiring to my house. I would like to have access to them in order to distribute my satellite signal to existing cables jacks in the house.

What are the chances that Rogers will willingly open it up for me and allow me to make my own connections? Would there be a fee involved? Or are they more likely to just dismantle the whole thing?

That would be ok with me too, I really have no nefarious designs on their equipment - heck, I just want access to my own cables - I'll even use my own splitters and grounding block!

thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-05-22, 09:27 PM   #2
CamG

This is just a thought as I really don't know your exact set up.
Could you follow the wires into the house after the box ( basement / electral panel / phone termination) area ? and cut all the cables and install your splitters at that point ?
Old 2006-05-22, 09:53 PM   #3
K2b

Yes, I thought of that as well. Unfortunately the builder of the house did not route them throught the basement before feeding up to the area of the multilink box. The cables come out of the exterior wall mid-way up the first floor (and there is no slack).

Although, now that you mention it, I suppose I could simply cut them out the back of the Rogers box, make new waterproof connections and run extentions into the basement interior and work on them from there...However, that might look pretty ugly unless I run a plastic pipe to cover them all down to the entry point into the basement.

...another thought, does Home Depot, CanTire, etc. sell any inexpensive exterior enclosure box?
Old 2006-05-22, 10:00 PM   #4
CamG

Hey that should work... I don't know about Home Depot or Canadian Tire, but If you have a local Electrical distributor near by...( Wesco, Nedco, Torbram Electric ) are a few names that come to mind at the moment, they will cary outdoor PVC box's. They should have them in many different sizes and probably with a hinged door.

Cam
Old 2006-05-23, 09:51 AM   #5
gordonb

You do own your house right?

Send a letter to Rogers informing them that you do not want service from them and order them to remove the box from your premises within thirty days without damaging your inside wiring (you own it as you paid the builder to install it). Ensure the letter is sent registered mail with a return recipt requested.

If, after thirty days of receiving the return recipt, they have not removed their equipment you now own it as they have abandoned it in place. Cut the lock off the box and install your own lock Disconnect the cable feed from Rogers as they probably will have left it connected.
This does not give you license to get free service from them (that is still a Federal offense).
Old 2006-05-23, 10:01 AM   #6
hugh
Member #1

K2b,

I think a phone call to Rogers explaining the situation is the first thing to do.

You're not the first person to want to do this so I'm sure they will be able to give you some practical advice.

A similar issue has come up before and from what I remember, damaging or breaking into that box is illegal. My recollection is that it's like a gas meter or an electricity meter, its on your property but it isn't yours!
Old 2006-05-23, 10:31 AM   #7

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I also recall the previous thread and said the same thing as Hugh, however, there is a tool you can buy to access the internals of the box.... There's usually nothing in there but some wires, splitters.
Old 2006-05-23, 11:07 AM   #8
nfitz
Veteran

I recall my mother trying to get Videotron to remove all the boxes and wiring from the outside of her house. Took about 15 years.

Good luck with Rogers!

Nick
Old 2006-05-23, 11:13 AM   #9

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Here's the other thread, found by using keywords tool + house.

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=24722
Old 2006-05-27, 08:31 AM   #10
gordonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
K2b,

I think a phone call to Rogers explaining the situation is the first thing to do.
I'm not normally pessimistic but good luck with this approach. Unless you know someone at Rogers trying to deal with their CSRs will, most likely, get you nowhere. But I do agree that this should be tried first. Get a ticket number from the CSR and record that with the date and time and the CSR's Employee ID & First Name (that is all they will give you).
Quote:
You're not the first person to want to do this so I'm sure they will be able to give you some practical advice.

A similar issue has come up before and from what I remember, damaging or breaking into that box is illegal. My recollection is that it's like a gas meter or an electricity meter, its on your property but it isn't yours!
Yes, but as I said as the property owner you can order them to remove it and if they have not done so in a reasonable amount of time they have abandoned it and you now own it.

So my approarch would probably to call 1-800-beabused first and request a response within 1 week then to send the registered letter after waiting for a week.
Old 2006-05-27, 05:09 PM   #11
jayme1009

No you don't not own the box.Same as hydro say you went with out them you would not own the box.
Old 2006-05-27, 10:09 PM   #12
HDTV101
Veteran

A friend of mine had the same situation... he moved into a new home and Installed ExpressVu. I helped him do the install and we ran into a problem when he wanted to use the existing Rg6 cables. We just smashed open Rogers box and replaced it with a nice new PVC electrical box from Home Depot. At first I told him about the tool to open the Rogers box but he wanted to get the Install done that day and so did I so we just gave the plastic Rogers box a whack with a hammer and the cover went flying off.

Box looked like this but a bit larger. Was $12
Old 2006-05-27, 10:31 PM   #13
jayme1009

You take a big risk touching the rogers or any other box.A couple houses down from me they did just that smashed open the box.What they did not know is the people right next to them worked for rogers and reported them.In the end they got a very large fine and if they did it again the fine would double.
Old 2006-05-27, 11:33 PM   #14
CamG

Actually you do own the box when it comes to hydro. The builder put the box on your house and it was included in the price of your house. Trust me… I sold them for about 12 years. What you don’t own is the meter Socket. There is an exception here but that is only when you have several meters to monitor tenants. In that case you still do not own the main meter, however you are the owner of the tenant meters down stream for independent billing and you can do what ever you want with those meters, as they are your property.

So if you wanted to supply your own power (full time) to your house with a generator you could break the seal and remove the meter socket and return it to them… (With a permit of course, and your local utility will have to be present to remove the meter and disconnect from the street) At that point the box is yours to do with what you like.

As for Rogers I believe the box is theirs but the cables coming out are not. So I would simply cut all the wires coming out of the box, mount a new box with a distribution block below it and go from there. Leave the Rogers box in tact and sealed. Like the example above, the cables are yours. The builder installed them and they were included in the price of your house. The Rogers connection from the street and including the box is not yours….

Cam
Old 2006-05-28, 01:14 AM   #15
kable2

Default rogers box

I switched to expressvu 6 or 7 years ago when the third rogers repair guy in a month 'fixed' my snowy cable by turning down the sharpness on my tv to zero when I was out of the room for a minute. He actually told me not to turn the sharpness back up!!!!!!!

DSL wasnt available on my street for 2 years and I was stuck with cable internet They had the nerve to charge me an aditional $10 because I didnt subscribe to cable tv.

Well as soon as DSL was available I returned the cable modem and cancled the service. Being still p!ssed off about the tv sharpness fix and esp. the extra $10 per month on the cable internet, I told them to remove the cable box and their wireing to the house.

A month later a CSR from rogers called me trying to get me to dump expressvu and DSL and return to them. She offered to not charge me the extra $10 for the internet if I at least returned to cable internet. I told her that was a nice offer, but I wanted a refund for the $10 per month for the last 2 years. She said that was impossible so I told her I wanted the cable box removed from the house. First she actually said it could not be removed as I might sell the house and the next people might want cable????? then she said that she would put in a work order to have it removed.

A few months later another rogers csr called again. I told her that if in one week the box was still on the house I would beat it off with a hammer and throw the line from the pole over the fence as it is abandoned equipment on my property. She told me that it would be removed within a week.

Two weeks later it was still there, So I beat the sucker off with a hammer and unscrewed the back of the box from the house and threw it out in the trash. I started to cut off the plastic ties holding the main cable to the house but didnt finish cutting the guy wire, so its out there hanging by the power meter mast.

I was really hopeing for rogers to say something about it, but the only thing that ever happened was some rogers guy doing a line audit(i guess thats what he was doing) put a yellow plastic tag on the hanging wire.

go ahead and beat it off with a rock just dont leave their wire hooked up if you leave the cable wires going into your house. (I pulled all the cable tv wires from the house)