Which modem to get with Rogers? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2006-05-22, 02:22 PM   #1
beppy

Default Which modem to get with Rogers?

I am seriously considering transfering my isp to rogers.
How can I find info on what modems Rogers will have with each service?
What modems are avaliable? and which one is the best to get? what are the pros/cons for each one.

Thanks in advance
beppy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-05-22, 02:24 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Usually it's the Motorola Surfboard, which can be adjusted by Rogers from the head end for any speed. They're around $100 from Rogers.
Old 2006-05-22, 02:30 PM   #3
beppy

cool,do you know if it is docsis 1.0?2.0? What is the difference anyways?

Also I am getting a mixed result about if Rogers is throttling their bitttorrent bandwidth. Is it becuase it only certain modems can do that?
beppy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-05-23, 11:15 AM   #4
dc

From Wikipedia.org:
Quote:
DOCSIS provides great variety in options available at OSI layers 1 and 2, the Physical (PHY) and Media Access Control (MAC) layers.
  • Physical layer:
    • Channel Width: DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 specified channel widths between 200 KHz and 3.2 MHz. DOCSIS 2.0 specifies 6.4 MHz, but is backward compatible to the earlier, narrower channel widths.
    • Modulation: DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 specifies that 64- or 256-level QAM (64-QAM or 256-QAM) be used for modulation of downstream data, and QPSK and 16-level QAM (16-QAM) be used for upstream modulation. DOCSIS 2.0 specifies 64-QAM also be available for upstream use.
  • MAC layer: DOCSIS employs deterministic access methods, specifically TDMA and S-CDMA. In contrast to the contention-based MAC CSMA/CD employed in Ethernet systems, DOCSIS systems experience few collisions.
Throughput: All of these features combined enable a total upstream throughput of 30.72Mbit/s per channel (although the upstream speed in DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1 is limited to 10 Mbit/s). All three versions of the DOCSIS standard support a downstream throughput of up to 38 Mbit/s per channel with 256-QAM (owing to 8 Mhz channel width, the EuroDOCSIS standard supports downstream throughput of up to 51 Mbit/s per channel).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

I believe the modems Rogers issues are all DOCSIS 2.0 compliant.

Last edited by dc; 2006-05-23 at 11:22 AM.
dc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-06-16, 08:03 AM   #5
Sandra

Unhappy Rogers won't let me use the modem I purchased

To try to save the monthly rental fee I bought a DLink DOCSIS modem from Tigerdirect that is compliant up to 2.0 and Rogers said they don't authorize this one. They told me they are constantly changing the speeds, etc. and it could 'blow up' a modem and they didn't want to take responsibility for any other modem than the ones they authorize.
Am I being given the run around? Can I force them to use the modem I have?
Thanks
Sandra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-06-16, 08:19 AM   #6
nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
Am I being given the run around? Can I force them to use the modem I have?
Doubtful, they're pretty clear what equipment they will, and will not, allow on their network. They do the same thing with their cable equipment.
Old 2006-06-16, 11:08 AM   #7
dc

With Rogers, it's usually best to only buy equipment (ie STB or modems) from them or an authorized dealer. If you're going to purchase third party equipment, call beforehand to make sure they're going to allow it on their network. With cable equipment, it's almost guaranteed that Rogers will not authorized third party equipment, even if it's identical to the stuff they sell.
Old 2007-01-25, 12:14 AM   #8
Dan Gonta

Default Motorola SB5120

Does anyone know if a Motorola SB5120 modem that works in Oakville will also work in Oshawa? Oakville and Oshawa are both Rogers' areas as confirmed by a call to Rogers tech support. The Ebayer I want to buy from won't provide me with the customer S/N and HFC MAC ID. He is naive to think that Rogers products will work everywhere. The Rogers tech guy said I need those 2 numbers to verify if a modem will work in a certain area.
Dan Gonta is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-25, 05:31 PM   #9
powerstream

I wouldn't buy if off E-bay. Maybe it's stolen or used to belong to a suspended account. Without these two codes you'll never know. If indeed it turns out to be not legit Rogers won't activate it. Your best bet is to buy a new one from Rogers for about $100 (the modem basically pays for itself after 30 months) or maybe you know a friend who used to be a Rogers customer and is no longer one. This modem should work in most areas.
powerstream is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-25, 06:33 PM   #10
dc

Technically a DOCSIS 2.0 modem will work anywhere within the Rogers network. Whether or not Rogers will activate it for use when it's not purchased from them or an authroized dealer is another matter, and the general concesus is "No". As powerstream says, buy it from Rogers.
Old 2007-01-26, 12:36 AM   #11
Dan Gonta

Default SB5120 from South Carolina is valid

I just bought a Motorola SB5120 modem from South Carolina on Ebay for $CAN. 47.14 including shipping cost. Rogers Cable verified that it will work in Oshawa. Paying Rogers $114 for the same unit is an EXTREME RIPOFF.

Last edited by Dan Gonta; 2007-01-26 at 01:06 AM.
Old 2007-01-26, 02:17 AM   #12

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I hope you got that in writing from Rogers. In the same way that Rogers will not activate "outside" SA STBs, Rogers MAY refuse to activate your "outside" modem. Good luck.

Please report back and let us know how you made out.
Old 2007-01-28, 12:50 AM   #13
powerstream

Quote:
I just bought a Motorola SB5120 modem from South Carolina on Ebay for $CAN. 47.14 including shipping cost. Rogers Cable verified that it will work in Oshawa. Paying Rogers $114 for the same unit is an EXTREME RIPOFF.
This issue was discussed up several times already and the conclusion is this: Rogers will NOT activate any modem that is not their own. That is, unless you buy the modem off E-bay or somewhere else from a Rogers subscriber, and provided that the modem is not stolen or listed on an account that's suspended or disconnected. That's the only way they'll activate the modem for you but remember that even then they have the right to refuse to activate it. Their take on it is it's our network, buy or rent the equipment only from us (equipment that we approve and tweak) or we may refuse to activate it.
powerstream is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-29, 10:06 PM   #14
Dan Gonta

Default Checked With Rogers Again

I called Rogers tech support for the 2nd time and they once again confirmed that the SB5120 I bought on Ebay from South Carolina will work on their network. They couldn't give me a confirmation number but I did get an employee number.

Maybe Rogers' policy on "outside" modems has changed. I will report again when I get the modem in a few days.
Old 2007-01-31, 02:06 AM   #15
Matilda

Will Rogers tell people what types of Modems they can buy?

I see a whack of Terayons on Ebay. Some are pretty cheap.
I'm not sure how good the Terayons are, but I have one now for my rogers lite service and have had no issues.

I think mine is a Terayon Terapro.
Matilda is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.