CBC-HD Official Thread (No Hockey) - Page 46 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-01-27, 06:05 PM   #676
wlee15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipad View Post
Was it just me or did Pearl Harbor go from HD to SD in the middle of the movie last night.
Pretty sure it was always SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-01-27, 06:43 PM   #677
VBC1

Last night, although cbc.ca did not indicate Pearl Harbour to be in HD, I was hopping it will somehow be, and was ready to watch it once again, and to tape it. But I was disappointed to see that it was 4:3 when it started.
Then, after full 2 hours of the movie, the following movie segment after commercials appeared in the 16:9 picture with black bars all around (I'm not sure how to call that effect when analogue letterboxed image is shown on HD screen). After a minute (at 21:00 h) it flipped and filled screen making it WS (not HD) 16:9. It also did not look to me like in that image there was any part of the picture cropped, making sense that it was the rest of the movie was cropped to 4:3. After the next commercial segment, the movie went back into 4:3 mode, until the end of the movie (almost looked like after realizing they had aired 2 hours of the movie in wrong format, they decided to go back to it).

It always helps me guess what is going on in these kinds o cases by also seeing analogue CBC, but I no longer have it, I canceled my cable and now I only get CBC HD.
Old 2008-01-27, 07:39 PM   #678
wprager

I tuned in just as the attack was starting. I think it was around 11:20, perhaps even later. At this time CBC-HD was showing a picture that was pillar-boxed and letter-boxed, and the resolution did not look very high. At this time CBC-SD was showing a similar picture (letter-boxed and pillar-boxed). I wasn't really interested in this movie, so I kep flipping rhough the channels. A little while later I flipped back to CBC-HD and the movie now filled the entire screen, but the resolution still was not all that great.

For what it's worth, the EPG said it was HD.

Bottom line, I love the fact that the broadcasters are showing a lot more HD content, including movies, but it just doesn't appear that they have their MOP written (or, perhaps, read) right.
Old 2008-01-28, 12:28 AM   #679
VBC1

I just got a little annoyed again as I spent almost half an hour trying to find out what's on CBC tonight, but couldn't. The CBC.ca again had problems and would only show eastern schedule, always fails trying to display Vancouver schedule.
I just don't know what to do any more.
Saw there was a nature show after the hockey, and it was again with this 'pillarboxed/letterboxed' effect like last night, but then I saw when the image flipped (at 18:35 h pacific) and zoomed-in/filled 16:9 screen.
Later, after I came back to check what's on, there was Planet Earth on (I really hate when I miss this show, but at least I saw the ending this time). I am glad there are shows like Planet Earth and Polar Bears in HD tonight (to fill the rift towards eastern schedule) but I just wished there was a way to know about them.
Old 2008-01-28, 01:24 AM   #680
nfitz
Veteran

It doesn't work much better here in the East, most of the time. I'm starting to think that the only CBC employee that knew how the schedule software works must have left sometime in October/November.
Old 2008-01-28, 02:07 AM   #681
Walter Dnes

VBC1 and nfitz... the usual question... do you allow cookies and javascript from CBC?
Old 2008-01-28, 05:33 AM   #682
VBC1

Yes, of course.
By the way, cbc.ca work perfectly at this very moment.
So, I found there is an HD movie coming up:
Sunday, 03/FEB/2008 at 17.00 h - Chicken Little
(and sorry everyone about my mistake earlier saying that movie "A Bug's Life" was shown in SD once before, it was actually "Antz" I was thinking about, sorry)
Old 2008-01-28, 10:30 AM   #683
Marc

Default Pearl Harbour

Our copy is SD. Some scenes are 4:3 and others are letterboxed within the 4:3 frame. This is how the movie was produced. When this is upconverted for HD stations the letterboxed scenes have black bars all around.
Old 2008-01-28, 01:26 PM   #684
nfitz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Dnes View Post
VBC1 and nfitz... the usual question... do you allow cookies and javascript from CBC?
Yes - from everyone. Hmm, it makes me be tempted to check my settings - but occasionally it does work. Often I get one or two pages, and then it stops responding ... right now it's working fine - and I haven't changed settings for a long time. Good idea though!
Old 2008-02-03, 11:19 AM   #685
Francois Caron
Veteran

According to the IMDB, the movie's aspect ratio is 2.35:1 (2.20:1 on 70mm prints). It sounds like the CBC tried avoiding showing black bars at the top and bottom of the screen so that they wouldn't get any complaints from people asking "why doesn't the image fill up my screen" (the lack of proper education is still a serious problem today).

The French CBC isn't much better. They had a presentation of the second Astérix movie a while back, and they put on the 4x3 pan&scan version! Again, it was originally a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie.

Unfortunately, it appears the fear of "black bars" is screwing up movie presentations once again, even in today's HD era.
Old 2008-02-19, 02:26 AM   #686
VBC1

On Sunday, the movie "Toy Story 2" was in HD.
Again, there was absolutely no indication about it anywhere (not on schedule, not in movie's cbc online details, not anywhere on tv). The CBC web site only indicated that this movie is closed captioned (wow!).
Old 2008-02-21, 07:17 PM   #687
DSDunbar

Default CBC HD West on Bell ExpressVu

I subscribe to Bell ExpressVu and receive CBC HD East on channel 802. Living in Vancouver, I would like to receive CBC HD West as well, but this doesn't appear to be the case. I have tried to sort this out by twice calling Bell; however, I'm having trouble reaching someone who is helpful. BTW, I do receive CTV HD East & West.

Does anyone know if CBC HD West is available on ExpressVu and if so, how to receive it?
Old 2008-02-21, 07:30 PM   #688
VBC1

I think that's an issue/question for Bell.
It was noted before that CBC is ready to provide that feed to any service provider, at their request.

But, you can receive CBC HD west through your Bell receiver by plugging UHF antenna into it.
Old 2008-02-22, 04:23 PM   #689
Marc

I believe ExpressVu puts up CBC Vancouver HD from time to time but at this time there is no permanent channel. If you want it there, you have to tell ExpressVu.
Old 2008-02-26, 09:14 PM   #690
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBC1
But, you can receive CBC HD west through your Bell receiver by plugging UHF antenna into it.
Yes. From West Van, you should easily be able to pick up CBC's digital broadcast with a small UHF antenna and the picture will be far better than what Compressview gives you so even if they do add it, you will want to stick with the broadcast signal.