CBC-HD Official Thread (No Hockey) - Page 41 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-09-30, 08:17 PM   #601
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

What is your content provider jfplay (antenna, cable or satellite)? I suspect your problems during the playoffs were from poor reception and not from the original feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-10-01, 05:23 PM   #602
jfplay

Vancouver, Shaw.

Other Westerners were complaining too about the CBC's feed. TSN was fine though, as was NBC.
Old 2007-10-02, 07:35 PM   #603
Marc

Default HD Page

FYI

The online HD page will come to an end soon. Two and a half years have past and since the first permanent HD transmitter was put in service. HD is still growing, but it's no longer the new kid on the block. HD data will be merged into the rest of CBC.CA.
Old 2007-10-02, 07:38 PM   #604
Marc

Default Rick Mercer Report

Some more info regarding RMR. As mentioned earlier, RMR has moved to a widescreen studio this season. Usually, this means 2.0 sound. RMR will have 5.1 sound.
Old 2007-10-02, 11:57 PM   #605

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Regarding RMR, watched it tonight and the PQ was very good, as was the DD5.1 (same as last year).
Old 2007-10-04, 01:34 PM   #606
Stan Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
The online HD page will come to an end soon. ... HD data will be merged into the rest of CBC.CA.
Does that mean the handy week-at-a-glance PDFs will no longer be available? If so, will the regular cbc.ca online schedule be updated to indicate widescreen shows? (It already does indicate HD shows.)
Old 2007-10-04, 02:42 PM   #607
nfitz
Veteran

As majority are widescreen now, then perhaps indicating the 4:3 would be simpler. You know, in the same way TV Guide stopped indicating which shows were Colour, and started just showing which were B&W.
Old 2007-10-04, 07:14 PM   #608
Marc

I don't have those details right now, but I've asked.
Old 2007-10-05, 02:14 AM   #609
VBC1

I think that 'Widescreen' still needs to be indicated, as it is, along with HD content, far from being mainstream in Canada. Also, by indicating this more often and in more places, CBC would be promoting not only WS and HD, but itself and its advanced technical abilities (standing out among still a huge number of tv stations broadcasting only SD/analogue in the country).
As for the current CBC.ca tv listings, I think it is very user-unfriendly and looks outdated, also often has tech issues with server problems etc. Also, last time I checked, I noticed National is marked 'HD', along with few other things, but not all HD shows are still indicated.
I just wish they even copied the listings from french cbc, which looks much nicer.
http://www.radio-canada.ca/gh/televi...ghHoraires.asp
Old 2007-10-08, 11:09 AM   #610
otown47
Veteran

I watched some of Triple Sensation last night and I've got to say the PQ was really amazing....really great detail and colour saturation. The only problem was the FX they used during some edits that caused major but brief macroblocking.
Old 2007-10-08, 10:00 PM   #611
sugarman

Default Attention Doctor Who fans, Torchwood now airing.

I watched Torchwood from Fri @ 9. Captain Jack from Doctor Who is back with a select group fighting crime using alien technology. Most excellent PQ.
We are getting season one, there is a season 2 in the works.
http://torchwoodtv.blogspot.com/
Old 2007-10-09, 10:22 PM   #612
Nanuuk
Veteran

Yeah, watched it the other night. I enjoyed it very much. The whole feel of the program hit the right notes. Music and direction was great. I think it will be a challenge to come up with story lines without the time travel aspect though!
Old 2007-10-13, 01:50 PM   #613
WarrenC12

According to their PDF schedule, CBC is broadcasting the BC/Edm CFL game and both NHL games in HD tonight. Do they have 3 HD trucks now?

cfl.ca lists the BC/Edm game as being broadcast in SD.

Good news for us non-Toronto fans.
Old 2007-10-13, 11:25 PM   #614
Walter Dnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
According to their PDF schedule, CBC is broadcasting the BC/Edm CFL game and both NHL games in HD tonight. Do they have 3 HD trucks now?

cfl.ca lists the BC/Edm game as being broadcast in SD.
I watched the game. The wide-angle long-range camera, which shows 95% of the action, is upconverted/widescreen... no bleeping way is it HD. However, the field-level cameras, which show only the benches, and interviews with players, are HD. Talk about having your priorities backwards. Dear CBC, may I kindly suggest...
  • please take the upconverted/WS wide-angle camera and burn it in front of the American embassy
  • take one of the field-level HD cameras, and lug it up to the upper levels of the stadium, and use it as the wide-angle camera.
Your broadcast will be a lot better.
Old 2007-10-14, 07:01 AM   #615
Marc

The game was WS SD.