Signal Amplifiers (Amps, Preamps, Distro Amps) - Page 152 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-12-10, 01:03 PM   #2266
Paulo

Thanks roger1818 for the tips. If I have time, this will get done tomorrow. I'll post back with my results.

Paul
Advertisement

Old 2010-12-10, 09:07 PM   #2267
flavoie

I agree with Roger on everything.

preamps are made for outdoors, so they are just fine in attics, winter or summer.
flavoie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-12-13, 11:14 AM   #2268
Paulo

Thanks roger1818 & flavoie, well I installed the 7777 as you guys mentioned and took out the CM 3412 distribution amp. I placed the 7777 one foot from the antenna. I connected a 1' cable from the antenna to the 7777, than from the 7777 I connected my existing 16' of cable to the power supply unit and the out from pwr supply unit to a regular splitter. From splitter to my TV1 (1' away) and TV2 (40' away). I made sure to check all signal levels before starting the install for comparison purposes.

The results were VERY POOR, I actually had all the same exact levels on all channels with the 7777 as I did with the CM 3412, in fact I had even lost 29.1 FOX and 7-1.

Ok, maybe it was the splitter.... I removed the splitter so I decided just to run the 1' cable to my TV1......SAME RESULTS.

Maybe I should use the CM 3412 in combination with the 7777.....NO good, the levels were the same and in fact I had lost 29.1 FOX and 7-1 again.

Ok maybe its over amplification....

Last effort, use the 7777 straight out to TV2 (40'away) no splitter no CM 3412 no TV1.
Still the same results.

Well, it looks like you were absolutely correct Flavoie, the difference in SNR between the 7777 and the CM 3412 is very small in my case. I had to try it it order to rule this out.
I guess I will just be taking my antenna to the roof come spring.

PS. I placed my set up back to the way it was originally with the CM 3412. I am getting all channels again on TV1 upstairs. TV2 all channels are solid except the 2-1 & 4-1...... as I mentioned before in/out most times since the start of the cold weather.

Thanks

Paul
Old 2010-12-13, 02:06 PM   #2269
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

I applaud your determination to test and get it right. The roof is the way to go, though, so I hope you'll document how that goes when that happens.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-12-13, 06:34 PM   #2270
goforit
Veteran

Depending on your aim to BUF, you might be going through the CN tower- might be getting overload from the big TO analogs - CBLT (5), CFTO (9). Did you try using only the UHF port of the 7777?

Also, you could try a UVSJ splitter to knock down all channels 2 to 13- this would really quiet down 5 and 9. In my case, there is no way I could use an amp, unless I used the channel 11 trap that I got. I'm using a hdp-269 that pushes the signal through a channel 11 trap and an FM trap, and then onto a CM 3414; it works well. I'm going to try a 7778 and see if the lower noise will give me better strength on my signals.
Old 2010-12-14, 11:05 AM   #2271
Paulo

Hi goforit, I am aiming my antenna (DB8) straight at the Buffalo stations. According to TVfool's plot line from my loacation, the CN tower is south east of me. According to my calcucaltions I must have a good 10 to 15 degrees of separation between the CN tower and the Buffalo stations.
BTW I did try using only the UHF port of the 7777, with no luck.
Would you or anyone else know (aproximately on average) how much more signal I can expect once I put the antenna on the roof. Right now the only thing between my antenna and the outside is a 3/4" sheet of plywood and shingles, and this to me doesn't seem like much of a barrier for signal degradation.

Thoughts???

Paul
Old 2010-12-14, 11:22 AM   #2272
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

In my experience an attic without aluminum or metal siding & roofing can typically cost you between 2 and 5dB of signal. Yours maybe be higher, may be lower.
Old 2010-12-14, 01:27 PM   #2273
DdDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
the only thing between my antenna and the outside is a 3/4" sheet of plywood and shingles, and this to me doesn't seem like much of a barrier for signal degradation.
There's also moisture in that wood, and whenever it rains you get a film of water over the entire surface. Plus snow will accumulate and stick around for a while and kill the signal.

I was inside the attic also while I was testing OTA, and moving outside made a huge difference. I don't know what the dB would be, but there were stations that I could not get inside that I now receive 100% year-round.
DdDave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-12-14, 01:45 PM   #2274
Paulo

Thanks DdDave, I am regretting not putting the antenna on the roof when I first got it, just this summer. I didn't really worry about it back then because all channels were solid on both tv's. Oh well, I'll just put it on the roof come spring.

Paul
Old 2010-12-14, 02:11 PM   #2275
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
In my experience an attic without aluminum or metal siding & roofing can typically cost you between 2 and 5dB of signal. Yours maybe be higher, may be lower.
The other factor is elevation. Putting the antenna on the roof could easily gain you 5 to 10 feet (or even more). This increase in elevation could help you clear surrounding buildings or trees and gain Line of Sight, or it could make little difference at all. YMMV.
roger1818 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-12-15, 10:38 PM   #2276
rfdude
Rookie

Default Kitz Preamp KT-200-COAX for outside

Just received the KT-200 preamp from KITZ. I came thru the mail in in a week without taxes . My question is around the KT-200 and making it weather tight suitable for mast mounting. The metal case looks realitively simple to weatherproof by using silicone gasketmaker. Any BTDT advice?

I presently have a Radio Shack preamp that is typical 3 dB NF. It feeds a 4-way splitter in the house to reduce the gain from overloading the sets. But the RS preamp seems to go deaf in the winter as temperatures settle below freezing. From my Nobleton location, I loose Buffalo CBS 4.1, WUTV 29.1, 49.1 and a couple weak Toronto stations for much of the winter.

Thanks!

rfdude
rfdude is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-12-16, 10:55 AM   #2277
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

rfdude, would the KT-200 fit inside the housing for your old RS pre-amp? Just make sure you seal everything up nice and water tight. That would have the added benefit of giving you mounting brackets.
Old 2010-12-16, 11:40 AM   #2278
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Also rfdude see this thread for everything you'll ever need to know about sealing it:

OTA Waterproofing, Sealants, Adhesives, Paint
Old 2010-12-16, 05:08 PM   #2279
flavoie

Check peano's profile pictures. He bought a standard box, I think it's a 4x4x2. I copied his design and found the same box at Home Depot and Rona. This box and a U-bolt set and some sealant would be all that is required.
flavoie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-12-16, 05:45 PM   #2280
roger1818
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
Check peano's profile pictures. He bought a standard box, I think it's a 4x4x2.
The only thing I don't like about peano's design is he drilled holes for the U-bolt. If I were doing it, I would attach a piece of angle iron to the mounting tabs and have the U-bolt go through that. Holes in the bottom aren't so bad as they are shielded and add drainage, but holes in the side or top are more likely to be a source of leaks.
roger1818 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
amplifier, dtv, ota, preamp, signal strength

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.