Signal Amplifiers (Amps, Preamps, Distro Amps) - See Chart in Post #1 - Page 145 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-10-06, 04:55 PM   #2161
intravino

Quote:
What do you mean by that - you "reboot" the Kitz once a week?
It's connected to a Sanyo 19'' LCD, the Kitz power injector is plugged on a power bar. I turn-on the TV once a week.

Quote:
Also - how does this senstivity to static appear? I've never noticed an issue with my Kitz, then again, not sure what I'd be looking for.
For me, it's was lost of gain but big time lost of gain. You only get the strong channels. At the end you get nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2010-10-06, 08:48 PM   #2162
byebye_cable

And then how do you fix it - just unplug & plug back in?
Old 2010-10-07, 11:27 AM   #2163
intravino

Quote:
And then how do you fix it - just unplug & plug back in?

Yes, but after while it's does not fix the problem. I guess a FET or something get toasted.

It was sent to Kitz for warranty repair. Quick turnaround to get the new one.
Old 2010-10-08, 12:56 AM   #2164
frontpl8

Default Tin Lee Pre Amp

Has any one tried the Tin Lee pre amps? If so how are they?
Old 2010-10-08, 11:27 AM   #2165
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep, see Post #2130. Unfortunately our site's search tool doesn't work well with short terms like Tin and Lee.
Old 2010-10-11, 12:13 AM   #2166
FiguredMaple

Default CM-0747 power consumption

Hello everyone
I am using a 7777 and was wondering how much power its power supply (CM-0747) would draw when my TV is off?

Thanks!

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-10-11 at 12:53 AM. Reason: split here
Old 2010-10-11, 12:42 AM   #2167
ota_canuck
Veteran

Location: Dunnville, Ontario on the Grand River, North shore Lake Erie

The CM7777 Model 0747power supply uses 6watts while plugged in. The usage doesn't change whether the tv is on or off.
Old 2010-10-11, 09:05 PM   #2168
FiguredMaple

Perfect, thanks for the prompt response!!
Old 2010-10-11, 09:43 PM   #2169
Schmerpy

Default Appropriate pre-amp for my setup?

I have an attic mount of a Clearstream2 C2 in the Yonge/Finch area. It is connected directly to my television with a 50 foot run of RG6 and the antenna is pointed towards buffalo. I live in a four storey townhome, so the elevation of the attic is fair.

Reception is good with some buffalo stations dropping out from day to day. Results vary depending on placement of the antenna.

I'm thinking of trying a pre-amp. Do I need to care about analog station power or just the digital station powers in determining if overload will be an issue?

TV fools says my most powerful digital stations is 5.1 at -34.6 DBm followed by 9.1 at -39 DBm. The most powerful analog station is 5 at -14.5 DBm.

Will a Channel Master 7777 cause problems? Keep in mind this is an attic mount, so the actual received power would be less than indicated.

What level of gain should I be looking for in a pre-amp?
Old 2010-10-11, 09:53 PM   #2170
DdDave

Schmerpy, the rule of thumb is 10dB over your losses. If you only have 50 ft of cable with no splitters, then you will only have about 3db of loss, so 13dB would be sufficient. Let me be the first to suggest that you move the antenna out of the attic before trying the pre-amp, you will get much better results with minimal cost and may find a pre-amp is not required.
Old 2010-10-11, 09:57 PM   #2171
Schmerpy

Indeed, I would love to put it outdoors. But this is a townhome development and people are picky and are in close proximity.

As it is, I only need to clear up some intermittent blockiness on 4.1 and 29.1 and bring it 7.1, which has been lost in my current antenna position (although, overall, this seems to be the best and most consistent position for the antenna). Weird thing is, this is the first position that lost 7.1.

If I can clear up those three stations, I'm a happy man. 2.1 comes in with 5 bars and all Toronto stations are rock solid. 17.1 is also reliable in this position.

EDIT: just checked, and 7.1 is back with 4/5 bars. WEIRD.

So, does everyone else think that a 13dB amp is more than enough?
Old 2010-10-11, 10:36 PM   #2172
ota_canuck
Veteran

Schmerpy;

Before you invest in a $100 preamp, go to canadian tire a get a $30 signal booster amp to try out first. It may be all you need to avhieve your goal. It simply connects at the bottom end of your 50ft downlead cable and then use a short cable from the booster to the TV's antenna input. If that is not enough, then return the booster amp to Canadian Tire within 2 weeks and then look into a 13-17db preamp. You don't want a preamp too strong being that you're in the powerhouse area under the CN tower broadcasts. With any amplification, you may find that your antenna aim will have to be a little more to the westerly direction to avoid tuner overload from the Toronto stations. Aiming more west with an amp may also pull in CHCH from Hamilton. Again, if you do try a preamp, make sure the store has a return policy just in case it creates more problems than it solves.
Old 2010-10-11, 10:42 PM   #2173
Schmerpy

Thanks. I tried one from The Source and it did absolutely nothing - no increase in signal quality whatsoever on any channel.

I have gotten the Hamilton channels depending on antenna placement.
Old 2010-10-11, 10:49 PM   #2174
ota_canuck
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmerpy View Post
Thanks. I tried one from The Source and it did absolutely nothing - no increase in signal quality whatsoever on any channel.

I have gotten the Hamilton channels depending on antenna placement.
I have a feeling that a preamp will do more harm than good, but there's nothing to lose by trying one and then returning it if it doesn't work for your situation. The C2 already has a strong 10db UHF and some local VHF capability, so those very local Toronto signals could be giving you problems even without amplification. If the preamp doesn't work, then maybe using a big 4ftx4ft deflector placed near the Toronto side of the antenna to reduce the strength of the Toronto signals might help.
Old 2010-10-12, 11:03 AM   #2175
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Also pick up some inexpensive coax-type attenuators from The Source or an electronics supply outfit as cheap overload insurance. If you pick up three 3dB attenuators you can test with 3, 6, or 9 dB to see which level works best, and if there is no joy you still have them around for the future while returning the amp.

Tags
amplifier, dtv, ota, preamp, signal strength