Signal Amplifiers (Amps, Preamps, Distro Amps) - Page 111 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-12-20, 01:13 AM   #1651
mlord
Veteran

If you can keep the coax as short as possible, then go for the attic install. The pre-amps will last longer. Given your approximate location, you won't be needing every last 0.5dB anyway.

On my extreme fringe setup here, with the pre-amp "at" the antenna, there's still about 4' of coax between the antenna and the pre-amp. And that's all *outdoors*.

Cheers
mlord is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-12-20, 07:03 PM   #1652
loveota

Rick,

When i discovered Digital was up and running I upgraded my system in steps so i was able to see the pro`s and con`s of different equipment . First off my ant. feedpoint is only 20' and my target stations are 60 plus miles . I replaced my archer ant. with a 91 XG . I recieved those stations ok but daytime they were pixilating . When i added a 2 way splitter I lost everything but 3 local ch. About a 15' run to each TV . I put in a 4 way and same thing. I researched preamps and ended up putting in a CM7777 with 4' of cable to the feedpoint. Amazing increase in signal strength . Put the splitter back in and my signal dropped enough for the picture to pixilate again . I have about 35' of RG6 coming into the house from the preamp . I know , not much. I recently added the 3412 distro so i can run 2 sets without the loss like the splitters gave me. My buddy wanted to try the splitter on his setup to save on the distro but had the worse results .(attic & weaker antenna)
loveota is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-12-20, 11:45 PM   #1653
PanaMark

@ loveota
A big thank you for posting your results from Eden, On. I suspect we are chasing the same fringe station (presume Erie, PA) but in my case they are all just about 100 miles up here in north London.
I too incorporated a 7778 preamp and noticed considerable signal reception but as I have added and extra set and now a third one I was wondering how I could make up for all the losses. I just assumed that the preamp would be enough but it was not the case.
I am now gonna add a powered distro amp after the power source for the pre amp. I am searching for a 3 way one, and it appears that the Channel Master one would be a nice fit for my set up.

Thanks again
Old 2009-12-21, 01:46 AM   #1654
bigcam406

Default Antennas Direct CPA-19

hey guys,im wondering if anyone has any info on the new antennas direct CPA-19 pre amp.apparently it has a very low noise ratio with decent vhf and uhf gains.im thinking of coupling it with either a DB2 or CM4220MD indoors.any advice would be appreciated.thx
bigcam406 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-12-21, 12:49 PM   #1655
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

There are a couple of previous posts about the CPA-19 but not much else. Just use the Search This Thread tool and put in CPA-19 as your search term.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-12-21, 01:00 PM   #1656
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post
hey guys,im wondering if anyone has any info on the new antennas direct CPA-19 pre amp.apparently it has a very low noise ratio with decent vhf and uhf gains.im thinking of coupling it with either a DB2 or CM4220MD indoors.any advice would be appreciated.thx
Antennas Direct don't publish the actual noise factor, but from their graph, it seems okay but nothing amazing. Their claim of "outstanding noise performance" is just marketing hype. It also doesn't seem to have an FM trap. On the positive side, it looks like it might have separate VHF and UHF amps.
roger1818 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-12-21, 04:03 PM   #1657
kstyv
Rookie

Any tests on the newer model 9270?

Seems like the 9261 is a downgrade from the 9260A? (less range)
And 9262 seems like the best.
Do these have more loss than the 9260A or something, why else not choose 9262 over the 9260?
I am in deep fringe and need the best possible and I have stations from 9-45 I want to get.
kstyv is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-12-26, 02:38 PM   #1658
byebye_cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlord View Post
If you can keep the coax as short as possible, then go for the attic install. The pre-amps will last longer. Given your approximate location, you won't be needing every last 0.5dB anyway.

On my extreme fringe setup here, with the pre-amp "at" the antenna, there's still about 4' of coax between the antenna and the pre-amp. And that's all *outdoors*.

Cheers
Sounds like a plan!

A followup question if you don't mind - I have a VHF (crossfire) and UHF (homemade & subject to change) antenna that I currently use for Toronto analog stations, both pointed at the CN tower & combined via UVSJ, over 100' of RG6. I'd like to amplify & split those. My orginal thought was that a CM7777 would be good because is has UFH & VHF inputs - in this senario my existing UVSJ would be discarded.

However - after EXTENSIVE READING of this thread it seems that - while every location is different - in general the kitztech is actually the better buy, in particular for analog because of it's low-noise factor.

So my question is - in my situation (seperate VHF & UHF antennas used for analog) would you say a UVSJ followed by the kitztech is better then a CM7777 with no UVSJ?

For digital stations in Buffalo, I use a 4221 over 100' of RG6. Without getting to much into regional specifics that will cause this post to be moved, I'd like to add some exteme fringe stations (Rochester) and I'm thinking one of the RC units would be better here (I always prefer to buy quality). Again, curious about your thoughts for my application.

My TVFool report is post # 973 on this link; http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=36538&page=65
byebye_cable is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-02, 01:47 PM   #1659
jpm88
Rookie

Default Antra at-pau18

Saw a few posts here discussing this pre-amp, I just tried it and have positive results. I compared the pre and post readings from my Sony set, the results from the canadian channels were basically unchanged, but significantly the signal strength and SNR readings were generally 3-4 pts higher for the US channels (2.1, 7.1, 17.1, 23.1, 39.5) with this installed. The signal strengths were boosted from mid 70s to ~ 80 and SNR went from low to mid 20s. The exception was 29.1 FOX which was unchanged. I was not able to pick up any extra channels, but overall don't think you can go wrong with the $30 investment. Hope this helps.
jpm88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-03, 03:56 PM   #1660
Lineloss

Exclamation Help or error?

Has anyone verified the validity of the pre-amp chart calculated max input dBm numbers? (post 1)

I just calculated it for the Winegard AP 8700 and the CM 7777.... and they don't agree with the chart.
Lineloss is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-03, 10:56 PM   #1661
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

The data was provided by holl_ands as a tweak to an existing chart, so could you please provide your calculations here (methodology too) so that he can see what values you got and how you arrived at them?
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-04, 06:54 AM   #1662
bigcam406

Default rca cant1650

just purchased a rca cant 1650 over the weekend,comes with a 12db amp.i tested the antenna without the amp first,and i noticed that it is very sensitive,as it was picking up stations i usually pick up with my other antenna (phillips mant510),mind you,at a lower signal strength to the point of fallout and pixelation.i tried it with the amp,and to no surprise,receved nothing at all.so,my question is what would be a good amp to use with this antenna to boost signal quality without destroying the signal? thx in advance.
Old 2010-01-04, 08:47 AM   #1663
ProjectSHO89

You are likely overloading the amp due to something very close.
ProjectSHO89 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2010-01-04, 09:27 AM   #1664
bigcam406

im using 31feet of r-6 cable,and as far as something close,im kinda stumped in what it would be.
Old 2010-01-04, 10:27 AM   #1665
goforit
Veteran

Doesn't CHEX have a transmitter in OSH? 22.0?

Tags
amplifier, dtv, ota, preamp, signal strength

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.