ATSC Tuners In HDTVs (see Samsung Poll) - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

View Poll Results: Samsung Owners: DTV tuner abnormal PSIP data quality?
Never have any problems 43 42.57%
Occasional problems with certain stations 26 25.74%
Frequent problems with certain stations 31 30.69%
Frequent problems with all stations 1 0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-06-20, 12:59 PM   #151
jasonbyers7

Question Samsung Products for DTV: Quality Issues?

I just bought a Samsung LCD LN-T3232H. I don't see an electronic program guide for watching off air DTV. I'm in Vancouver and know CTV and CBC have a program guide.
Couldn't find any info on EPG in the manual.
Do the Samsung LCD TV's not have a EPG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-06-21, 09:57 AM   #152
99gecko
Veteran

jasonbyers,
I checked some of the samsung line and at least some TFT LCD's do not have the program guide. Your tuner is receiving the info (just not displaying it).
What happens if you press [info] while displaying the channel list (with the highlight over a digital OTA station? Does it just give the station info/time?
What happens if you press [info] while watching a digital OTA station?

I think this is done so they can offer different model at different price points. Interesting since they(Samsung) have actually probably had to do more programming work to disable the PSIP guide.
Old 2007-06-22, 02:40 PM   #153
jasonbyers7

99gecko
Thanks for the reply. When I press info while viewing the DTV channel or viewing the Channel list, it tells me the station what show is on. But I can't see what is coming up next or anything.
My only hope is this is one thing that samsung can add to their future "Software upgrade" option using a usb drive.
Old 2007-06-23, 10:50 AM   #154
99gecko
Veteran

The guide data is definitely being handled, not just ignored. I would definitely call their customer service division and complain. They may have had other complaints, and I doubt they would include a guide in updates unless they receive complaints prompting them to do so. They might already have a work around. But somehow I doubt they didn't include the guide thinking, "No users would want this function...". And I doubt the guide info consumes so much ram that they didn't include it for that reason either.
Check your PM. I have sent you another option to try that is outside the scope of this thread.

Last edited by 99gecko; 2007-06-23 at 11:00 AM.
Old 2007-09-18, 07:20 AM   #155
tombilly

Default Viewsonic 32" LCD Tuner problems

OK, added location. The TV is a 32" viewsonic lcd with built in hdtv tuner. The anntena is the same old school anntena I have been using to receive OTA broadcasts for the last 20 years. From your answer I am guessing that what I thought is true and a built in hdtv tuner cannot pickup analog broadcasts and as such I should return this model and get one with an NTSC tuner? Seems odd as in 2 years I will have to buy a seperate box with an hdtv tuner. Is there an easy answer to my problem?

Last edited by stampeder; 2007-09-18 at 04:54 PM. Reason: continued from this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70235
Old 2007-09-18, 10:33 AM   #156

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

You didn't provide the model number of the TV. Many new HDTVs have NTSC, ATSC and QAM tuners built in. Some don't. Some only allow you to use one type of tuner at a time. You need to research your needs in terms of what you want regarding your OTA reception, as discussed in the OTA section of this forum.

Since you're 100 miles west of Winnipeg, if you want much HD, you're probably going to need to subscribe to StarChoice or Bell ExpressVu (perhaps Cable?) and if you use them exclusively, you don't need an internal tuner.

Here's the Winnipeg OTA thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51594
Old 2007-09-18, 12:40 PM   #157
my0gr81

Default Viewsonic 27" LCD has these Tuners

I have a 27" version of the Viewsonic N2752W. Each input is discrete, and the DTV input is strictly ATSC while the ANT input is NTSC/QAM. It is a little bit of a drag to have to split the OTA antenna between the two input to receive SD NTSC signal and HD ATSC signal but I have also noticed some of the stations from Buffalo that transmit the SD sub channel into their ATSC broadcast stream. I am using a home made dual bowtie with cooling racks reflectors.
Old 2007-12-03, 07:36 PM   #158
pilot007

Default LCD's with Electronic Program Guide?

I'm on the market for an LCD TV and one of the features that I'm looking for is an electronic program guide. I'm planning to go completely OTA in Toronto, and my understanding is that some stations may broadcast program info through PSIP.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much information on which TV's support this. Is anyone aware of any 32" TV's that have an EPG?
Old 2007-12-03, 08:28 PM   #159
hugh
Member #1

Search on TVGOS for threads discussing
Old 2007-12-04, 09:53 AM   #160
pilot007

Thank you, but I am not looking for TVGOS. From what I've read, TVGOS is not the same as PSIP. I'm looking for a 32" LCD capable of displaying PSIP program info. I've done a lot of searching here, but haven't been able to find a discussion on which LCD's may support this.
Old 2007-12-04, 10:55 AM   #161

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

You may wish to search through the OTA forums using terms like "PSIP info" or similar.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/anno....php?f=81&a=42

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81
Old 2007-12-04, 01:11 PM   #162
pilot007

Thanks, I have done quite a bit of searching, I just can't find any info on specific televisions currently on the market that display an EPG.

I did find some discussion in this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=41507&page=11

However, what I was really hoping to generate here is perhaps a discussion on or survey of televisions with ATSC tuners that are capable of displaying a guide from PSIP data. There does not seem to be any info in the forum on what sets are capable of this.
Old 2007-12-04, 04:00 PM   #163
Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot007 View Post
I'm looking for a 32" LCD capable of displaying PSIP program info. I've done a lot of searching here, but haven't been able to find a discussion on which LCD's may support this.
Is PSIP the "info" you get about TV show is playing when you're receiving digital channels OTA?

If that's the case, then my LG 37LC2D-UE displayed that kind of information (Name of channel, Title of show currently playing, and time) when I was receiving certain channels OTA. I assumed that all new TVs with built-in tuners were capable of it. I haven't tested it on my Sony KDL-52W3000 because it's connected to an HD PVR.
Old 2007-12-04, 07:53 PM   #164
pilot007

Thanks Stargazer, this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

I know that some televisions with ATSC tuners can display the program name, however I haven't been able to find very many reports of TV's capable of this.

Now does anyone else have any additional information on LCD's that can display the program name/guide as obtained from PSIP?
Old 2007-12-04, 11:33 PM   #165
PPL4GOLF

I won't get the LG...my LG plasma has the current program name and that's it...nothing else.

Apparently these PSIP are like EPG and some channels you can get program info for a week in advance. Some even have show detail like who's on Letterman etc.

The LG doesn't have that...the Akai plasma I tried had a good 'Guide' thingie and did all I mentioned.