BC - Burnaby, New West, Coquitlam, PoCo, Port Moody - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Reception Results

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-12-31, 01:22 AM   #226
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

This has been said many times at this site, but beware that tvfool.com doesn't handle Canadian addresses very well because its data is from the FCC and often out of date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-12-31, 12:59 PM   #227
lordhelmet

Very true stampeder, the reasons I recommended it are because it's extremely useful at showing LOS, and 1-or-2-edge diffraction, and giving bearings to the transmitters. It's borderline useless at real Canadian signal strengths but the google earth overlays are useful for showing relative signal strengths as determined by topography. Plus, it can help with setting expectations for pulling in far-away American stations.

So speedy, look up your address to see if the Seymour stations are line-of-sight for your or not (if you don't want to give out your address especially), then make sure you're aiming your antenna correctly, then assess how many and what kind of obstacles you have (houses, trees, etc) and either move the antenna to avoid them (higher is usually better) or perhaps try a DB-series antenna or something else stronger than your reflected dipole.
Old 2009-01-01, 12:30 AM   #228
speedracer
Rookie

Thanks for all your help LH. I will play around with the website tomorrow as I dont quite understand what everything means yet heh. Without giving too much personal info away, here's my location http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=A...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

From what I've been hearing, I shouldn't keep my hopes up. I might trying building this as a last attempt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhl...e=channel_page
Old 2009-01-01, 02:02 PM   #229
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Build a GH

speedracer, you sound keen to build your own antenna so it would be ironic if you went to another site for plans when you are now in the home of the increasingly famous Gray Hoverman antenna, the best you can build!

We have an entire sub-forum here dedicated to OTA Antenna Research & Development: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186 with experts who will assist with questions or problems.

If a GH variant cannot do the job, I would say you are in an OTA dead zone.

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-01-01 at 02:38 PM.
Old 2009-01-06, 11:17 PM   #230
lordhelmet

Speedy

Looking you up on google earth with the tvfool overlay shows a bit of variable reception in that area but you're close enough that signal strength should be able to overcome terrain obstacles. I make no promises for multipath, but definitely look into what stampeder it suggesting for the best antenna build. It may be overkill, but if it doesn't work your antenna location is likely your problem. There are other less overkill-y designs that are less sensitive, but give the Gray Hoverman a whirl. This really should work for you.
Old 2009-01-07, 01:59 AM   #231
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

The GH is easier to build than just about any other home brew antenna, so no harm in spending the time on it.
Old 2009-01-09, 02:04 AM   #232
Switch
Rookie

Default Burnaby: Boundary and Moscrop

Hey Gang, I just stumbled on this site tonight in my search for a new antenna. Wondering if you could give me some ideas about my problem. I am located in Burnaby near Boundary and Moscrop which is BCIT area. North facing side of the hill. I have a clear view of Mt Seymour with only 1 tall tree in my way. Unfortunately for me it is right in my way. I just picked up a cheap DirectTV Mitsubishi hr sd5 receiver off craigslist to run on my HD CRT Samsung. When I got home I plugged it in and with my little rabbit ears I get the following:
CBC 70%ish PERFECT reception
Global 70%ish but Pixelated on scene changes and fast motion.
CTV 1% no picture.

I then made the first part of the shoebox antenna found on the net with a metal coat hanger and an old antenna connector plug, minus the shoe box or reflector. After moving it around I was able to receive Global pegged at 100%
CBC about the same
CTV 30%ish with broken image basically unwatchable.

Problem is...Even with Global strength at 100% it was still pixelated the same as at lower strengths. Anyone else having this problem?

Will something like the 4221 mounted in my attic get me CTV and fix my Global?

Thx in advance.

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-01-09 at 11:40 AM. Reason: location in title ;)
Old 2009-01-09, 11:44 AM   #233
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Switch, from that location all the stations should be booming in. First, is there a manufacturing date on the back of your Mits box? Second, what kind of tree is it, and how far away? Finally if you are considering building another antenna see Post #237 in this thread.
Old 2009-01-09, 03:56 PM   #234
Switch
Rookie

You'd think I would get the signal hey?

Checked the box but no manu date. But here is a link to the Manual of it I found online. http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Sys...shi_SR-HD5.pdf The manual is copyrighted for 95 - 2000 so it's old machine I assume.

The Tree or I guess it's 3 trees all bunched together are I believe big tall bushy cedar trees. Definatly thick and bushy. They are across the street about 100ft away. I am on an upper slope so I am about half way up the tree height.

As for the antenna, I printed off the SBGH Gen 2 plan, I will give that a shot.

When I was looking behind the box, I bumped something an got a great signal so currently my Global channel is pegged at 100% but still have pixelated scene changes and fast motion.

CBC is 44% and STRONG as an ox. Great Pic. Hmmm

CTV a bouncy 9%.
Old 2009-01-10, 11:22 PM   #235
Switch
Rookie

Built the Antenna part of then sbgh Gen2 against a 1 x 6 peice of wood. The signal is marginally better. Just a thought. I have the power lines infront of my house directly between me and seymour. Will those power lines interfere at all. Still can't figure out why Global is pixelated with a super strong 100% signal.

Any input would be great.
Old 2009-01-11, 12:03 AM   #236
danbcman

Default pixelated with a super strong 100% signal

My guess is a bounce or multipath issue?
Give the antenna a very slight turn one way or the other see if that gets rid of it?
Old 2009-01-11, 01:56 AM   #237
Switch
Rookie

The only thing I got was...I found a place in the middle of my living room where my CTV signal went to 78%, but I was holding the antenna. So I guess that means the signal is out there, just being disrupted by my house to much.
Old 2009-01-11, 01:56 PM   #238
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch
The manual is copyrighted for 95 - 2000 so it's old machine
I was afraid of that. You have a Generation 1 or 2 ATSC chipset in that box, so you need to get a proper tuner with a Generation 4, 5, or 6 chipset (anything built since 2005) and your luck will completely change. The newer the better. Those old chipsets had terrible multipath problems, as you're seeing with your own eyes.

Sorry to break the bad news but I suppose you could use it as a boat anchor or a door stop. I hope you didn't pay much for it, and I get irritated at the sellers on the web who don't bother to tell anyone about how old those boxes really are for ATSC.
Old 2009-01-11, 02:16 PM   #239
Switch
Rookie

Ah not quite a door stop. I still get CBC HNIC Perfect and I hope once I put the antenna in the attic I will get CTV. 2 out of 3 channels for $30, I can handle that.
Old 2009-01-11, 05:17 PM   #240
danbcman

Default tv tuner

Switch Does the tv you are using have a atsc tuner?

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-01-11 at 08:38 PM. Reason: retail links not allowed

Tags
4220, g1483, gray, gray-hoverman, hoverman