OTA Rotors: Channel Master, Yaesu, Hy-Gain, AlfaSpid, Others - Page 48 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2011-06-28, 05:13 PM   #706
maryjane
Rookie

Hi RamKat,

Yes I plan on letting you guys know what channels I'm receiving.

Once I get the rotator up there probably this weekend not up there yet.

But so far just by rotating the antenna by hand I'm getting PBS 18.1 18.2 18.3 and 57.1 57.2 57.3 the strange thing is I can't seem to get 18 fox and cbs 28.1 28.2.
Maybe the antenna needs more tweaking it will go better once I have the rotator up there.

Mary-Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-06-28, 05:53 PM   #707
tvlurker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
the strange thing is I can't seem to get 18 fox and cbs 28.1 28.2.
Maybe the antenna needs more tweaking it will go better once I have the rotator up there.

Mary-Jane
28.1/28.2 Fox/CBS transmits with 10 times less power than 18.1/18.2/18.3 PBS from the same tower.
Old 2011-06-28, 08:40 PM   #708
wilspin
Corporate Supporter

Quote:
By the way,
I forgot to mention I did email Channel Master Sunday.

But never got a response...

Thank God for forums like these, Where others can actually help you without profiting from selling the products.

Isn't it sad?

Thanks Guys

Mary-Jane
Not surprising, I've been waiting since last year for a reply.

Twinntech supports Digital Home
Old 2011-06-28, 08:43 PM   #709
Jase88

Default Channel Master Customer Service (or lack thereof)

I'm somewhat glad that it isn't just me who's found CM's CS to be non-existent.

IMO, it's better to work with companies like Hy-Gain and Antennas Direct who have very impressive customer service.
Old 2011-06-28, 08:50 PM   #710
RamKat

Quote:
Hi RamKat,

Yes I plan on letting you guys know what channels I'm receiving.

Once I get the rotator up there probably this weekend not up there yet.

But so far just by rotating the antenna by hand I'm getting PBS 18.1 18.2 18.3 and 57.1 57.2 57.3 the strange thing is I can't seem to get 18 fox and cbs 28.1 28.2.

Mary-Jane
Great, get that rotator going then we could discuss in the Ottawa thread. Good job so far!
Old 2011-06-29, 12:27 AM   #711
maryjane
Rookie

Quote:
28.1/28.2 Fox/CBS transmits with 10 times less power than 18.1/18.2/18.3 PBS from the same tower.
Thanks tvlurker,
That may explain why I'm not getting them.

Quote:
Great, get that rotator going then we could discuss in the Ottawa thread. Good job so far!
Thanks RamKat,
Yes I can't wait to get it up there. Then I'll let you know in the Ottawa thread.

Thanks Guys
Mary-jane
Old 2011-07-02, 02:17 PM   #712
jrmclean

I need some advice...

I have a CM-9521a rotator that I'd like to use with a Delhi GN tower. The top tower section has the rotator plate, but I'm not sure how to secure the rotator to that plate. There aren't any bolts or holes on the bottom of the rotator with which to secure it? The rotator just has the u-bolts on the back which would be used to secure the rotator to a mast.

Am I missing something obvious?
Old 2011-07-02, 02:48 PM   #713
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Someone can update me on the following, for sure, but the Delhi rotor plates used to have an attached u-bolt that you could insert a small length of pipe into, lock it down solidly, and then attach the rotor to that pipe with the rotor's u-bolts. It was all offset so that the rotor's top rotating pipe went through the top of the tower's donut, in which you could put a thrust bearing of nylon or soft metal. As we say here on the West Coast, it's pretty skookum.

If yours cannot do that you'll need to get creative - I've seen blue-steel strapping used, but that stuff rusts out over the years. Other people have had custom brackets made.
Old 2011-07-02, 04:34 PM   #714
maryjane
Rookie

Question Adding Channels into rotator memory

Hi guys,

I finally got my CM 9521A up on the roof.

My question is how do I add my digital channels in the memory?
For ex: 18.1-18.2-18.3 do I have to use the real channel # if so it will make it more confusing I guess till your learn the real#'s.

Do you guys add all of the channels you receive in the memory that's on the same tower?

Thanks
Mary-Jane

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-07-03 at 02:05 PM.
Old 2011-07-02, 06:21 PM   #715
RamKat

Not sure if this will help Mary Jane. Why not just use 18? If I enter 18 into my TV remote the TV (Panasonic) will tune to 18.1, so I expect 18 should be fine on your side too even if both units will respond to one remote. If you have to use both remotes independently then 18 should certainly work. In the last case the 18 would just be a number associated with a direction that is also easy for the human brain to to associate with 18.1, there are no real RF frequencies or channels involved as far as the rotator is concerned.
Old 2011-07-02, 07:54 PM   #716
maryjane
Rookie

Default Thanks RamKat

Thanks Ramkat,

I also thought of that just using 18 it would be easier on the brain.
That's what I'll do.

Thanks
Mary-Jane
Old 2011-07-02, 08:00 PM   #717
jrmclean

Thanks stampeder...there was a u-bolt with a small plate attached to the base plate, but it was used previously to secure a mast through the hole in the plate.

It wasn't obvious to me, but I ended up having to flip the L-shaped plate around so I could attach a short 2 foot long mast on the "outside" of the tower. The rotator then attached to this short mast. The long mast that goes through the tower donut is close to lined up with the rotator now. I'll just wiggle it abit and get it to fit properly. So, the rotator doesn't "sit" on the plate, but a couple inches above it. It is still "inside" the top of the tower.

The mast I'm using is about 1.5" OD and it just fits through the donut. Maybe an 1/16" of an inch to spare. Not sure how a bearing would fit in there?

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow..
Old 2011-07-02, 08:23 PM   #718
mr weather
Veteran

I've got a Delhi DMX tower and used a Yaesu thrust bearing. I have it mounted on the top surface of the top plate over the mast "hole". The weight of the mast and antenna is carried by the thrust bearing; there is no weight on the rotor itself and all it has to do is turn the antenna.
Old 2011-07-03, 07:38 AM   #719
jrmclean

@mr weather - so if I picture this correctly, you have the thrust bearing attached to the top of the base plate and your rotator is attached below that.

Mast comes through the top donut of the tower, through the thrust bearing attached to the base plate, through the mast hole in the base plate and then into the rotator itself?

That's a great setup! I only have the Delhi GN tower, so I'm not sure I could attach it the same way. I'll post a picture of the top section of my tower today. It's still sitting on the floor of my garage so I'm trying to get this all figured out before it's installed.
Old 2011-07-03, 11:07 AM   #720
mr weather
Veteran

Yes, that is generally how it went together. The top section of a DMX-series tower has a rotor plate and a top plate that caps the top tower section. The top and rotor plates are about 18" apart. In my case, the thrust bearing sits on top of the top plate. The mast goes through it, through the opening in the top plate and into the rotor that is already sitting on the rotor plate.

My understanding of the Delhi "Gold Nugget" tower is there isn't a top plate only a collar through which the mast passes. I'm not sure how a thrust bearing would be mounted.