Tablo For OTA DVR Streaming - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2014-01-06, 02:49 PM   #1
TabloTV
Rookie

Lightbulb Tablo For OTA DVR Streaming

Hi guys!

Just wanted to let you all know that Tablo is now available for pre-order at www.TabloTV.com.

All pre-orders include a FREE 1 year subscription to guide data, a $49.99 value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2014-01-06, 11:55 PM   #2
Jase88

Default Tablo Guide vs. Channel Master

^^^^
Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Channel Master. But their upcoming DVR offers free guide data for the life of the device. Free is better than $50/annum...even if Tablo offers the first year free (pre-orders only?).

Realizing that Tablo's product differs from a typical DVR, can you comment on why someone would prefer to pay for guide data vs. the free offering from a competitor such as CM?
Old 2014-01-07, 12:26 PM   #3
interdit_450

Hello Jase88,

Also don't forget Tablo is a "hub-style" DVR, it streams your OTA signal to multiple devices on your home network, unlike the CM DVR+ which connects only to one TV (well, unless you're investing in a SlingBox for more $$$ up front).

If you were to buy the Tablo Quad tuner, the subscription guide data would be available for all four devices making a $50 charge once a year probably worth it.

Besides this, I must admit I am a little dissappointed that a basic program guide (like HD HomeRun) isn't available for free and the $50/year guide is a "premium" option. The problem with paying for mandatory guide info is nothing gaurantees the cost won't go up in future years, and then you're kind of stuck as you invested in the hardware.

But besides this small hiccup, Tablo does seem like a cool product, and better yet is Canadian!
Old 2014-01-07, 12:53 PM   #4
interdit_450

Lightbulb Tablo For OTA DVR Streaming

Hello,

has anyone had experience with TabloTV yet? Looks like they started pre-selling this week as they launched the device at CES, got some pretty good reviews from CNET.

It's a home-grown (Canadian, out of Ottawa) OTA tuner that can stream DTV from an antenna to up to four devices on your home network (depending on which model you purchase).

Just wondering how heavy this would be on my home network router ... I would stream via WiFi to a Roku 2 XD using the default Bell Fibe internet WiFi router (2Wire 2701)

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2014-01-07 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old 2014-01-07, 01:28 PM   #5
gdkitty

Sounds very similar to the HDHOMERUN boxes.

Maybe someone who has one of these, might be able to shed some light on how much those devices use (would think it would be similar)
Old 2014-01-10, 02:39 PM   #6
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Not sure whether to try the CM DVR+ or the Tablo. The CM DVR+ is nice in the sense that it comes with a remote control, a direct HDMI connection and no monthly guide fees. On the other hand the Tablo supports multiple devices concurrently (including Roku and ATV) without having to purchase a slingbox.

I guess the cost of the slingbox would match the Tablo lifetime subscription price.

I don't know - too bad no-one can make the "ultimate" box. Add free guide info to Tablo and they're pretty close.
Old 2014-01-10, 05:01 PM   #7
Jase88

North_Of_Calgary, if you read further back in the thread, you'll notice that I received confirmation from Channel Master that their new DVR's guide will work in Canada for Canadian and American stations.
Old 2014-01-10, 10:38 PM   #8
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

^ Ok, sorry Jase - I went back prior to the DVR+ release date but I didn't notice that. I didn't go through all 500 threads.

Anyway, as much as there were some nice features with this I decided to order the Tablo instead.
Old 2014-04-04, 11:25 PM   #9
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Finally received my Tablo. Initial comments:

Pros:
+ PQ is fantastic - playing back on a 65" LED so far - great HD
+ Interface is great on the iPad/browser
+ Native Roku app
+ Easy setup

Cons:
+ Can't install the Android app and hence use it with the Chromecast on my Nexus 5 (requires a tablet with Android 4.2+)
+ No DD5.1 pass-through
+ Roku app is kind of basic (can't erase or create new recordings yet)

Overall it's pretty good though considering that it's only their first week of GA. Certainly has potential if they keep up the development/updates. Particularly if they add some native TV apps for the leading smart TVs.

For day 1 I'll give it a big thumbs up.
Old 2014-04-05, 12:15 AM   #10
Krydor

My concern with Tablo (the more I see of it, the more I want it) is commercial skipping. How quick on the Roku and is it adjustable? I like to set up for 1 min per press, 20 seconds back.
Old 2014-04-05, 01:12 AM   #11
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Playback on the roku of recorded content is very snappy. Live TV a little less so.

Roku doesn't have a skip forward at all for anything. Hence not the tablo either. It does have a skip back 10 seconds though.

On the iPad the Tablo had a 30 sec skip forward and a 20 second skip back.
Old 2014-04-05, 09:45 AM   #12
krusty79

Location: Crabtree,QC (Joliette) CM-3679, Pre-Amp Channel Master Modèle ??? (environ 20 ans)
Default Tablo in Journal de Montréal

This morning, there's an article in Le Journal de Montréal about Tablo.

Original article in French => CLICK HERE <=

Google translate in English => CLICK HERE <=
Old 2014-04-06, 08:29 AM   #13
krusty79

Location: Crabtree,QC (Joliette) CM-3679, Pre-Amp Channel Master Modèle ??? (environ 20 ans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty79 View Post
This morning, there's an article in Le Journal de Montréal about Tablo.

Original article in French => CLICK HERE <=

Google translate in English => CLICK HERE <=
CLICK HERE for the link in English (Google translate).
Old 2014-04-16, 06:06 PM   #14
Wheelman

I wish Tablo's site would stop saying HDTV content received thru OTA is uncompressed.
Old 2014-04-20, 12:04 AM   #15
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
I wish Tablo's site would stop saying HDTV content received thru OTA is uncompressed.
Espicably since the Tablo transcodes everything to H.264 compression.