Can the likes of Hopper and Aereo ruin OTA ? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2013-04-08, 07:21 PM   #1
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Default Can the likes of Hopper and Aereo ruin OTA ?

We'll have to see how this plays out.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/08/tech...x-cable-aereo/
Advertisement

Old 2013-04-08, 07:58 PM   #2
arrow201

Default Can the likes of Hopper and Aereo ruin OTA ?

This article is bothersome:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3034356.html
Old 2013-04-08, 09:34 PM   #3
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

As the article says:

Quote:
It's very unlikely that the media giant would actually yank Fox from the broadcast lineup: About 10.6 million U.S. households get television exclusively over the air and would no longer be able to watch Fox if News Corp. actually made Fox a cable channel.
One other interesting quote:

Quote:
Networks think Aereo should have to pay them to retransmit their programming, just like its affiliates, cable companies and satellite providers do. These range from less than $1 per subscriber for some broadcast channels, ...
I am surprised the big 4 US Networks haven't tried to go after the Canadian BDUs for pirating their programming and get subscriber revenue.
Old 2013-04-08, 09:46 PM   #4
majortom
Veteran

Some of the affiliates have

Quote:
2012-11-09 A coalition of American television stations wants compensation from Canadian cable, satellite and Internet TV providers that distribute their signals to viewers in this country.
The near-border affiliate stations represent the major U.S. networks, and they want consent and compensation rights now given to broadcasters here, an approach they call “fair treatment”.
The coalition includes WIVB and WNLO, Buffalo stations that carry the CBS signal; the Minneapolis-based ABC affiliate KSTP; NBC affiliate WDIV in Detroit; and the NBC affiliate in Rochester, N.Y., WHEC.
http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/n...rs/1001835205/
Old 2013-04-08, 10:35 PM   #5
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Unhappy

Once that first dominoe falls .....

http://www.blipclinic.org/2013/04/th...st-television/
Old 2013-04-08, 11:43 PM   #6
Wayne
Veteran

There was a story out this afternoon that Fox was threatening to turn its main network away from OTA and into a cable channel due to Aereo and similar threats.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/419...reo-stays-open
Old 2013-04-09, 06:53 AM   #7
ppauper

I can see aereo doing well in Canada: many folks get cable just for the US channels and if they can get those for $10/month off aereo . . . .
Old 2013-04-09, 06:59 AM   #8
majortom
Veteran

$10 dollars a month? I thought OTA stations are free.
What's the point? I'll put my own antenna up thank you very much..
Old 2013-04-09, 08:46 AM   #9
tvlurker
Veteran

majortom, pauper is talking about people who subscribe to cable companies to get American channels in places Canada where OTA is not an option. (Or, for example, places like Montreal where ABC and sometimes Fox are hard to get.)
Old 2013-04-09, 10:42 AM   #10
alebowgm
Veteran

They won't win the battle in Canada. BDUs would just pull the stations and find affiliates that would give them their feed for free, as those American stations have access to Canadian ad dollars (even though their isn't the same tax incentive for Canadian companies to use those outlets).

As for Aereo, I am interested to see how this plays out in the courts. If Aereo was free, I 100% agree they shouldn't have to pay for an OTA signal they get for free. But I do agree with FOX that Aereo isn't really any different than a BDU since they are charging customers for the service. If the court says, Aereo you don't have to pay for retransmitting an OTA signal, won't the big BDUs look at that and say, we will take an OTA feed over a fiber feed if it means we can stop paying channels such as WNBC and WABC some cash...
Old 2013-04-09, 10:57 AM   #11
Jase88

majortom, the fee--depending on the service--includes an online DVR service.

In the case of Aereo, the service is offered exclusively to residents of metropolitan NYC. I can see this area providing unique challenges to many people for antenna reception. The least of which is restrictions on antenna installation in apartment buildings, etc.
Old 2013-04-09, 11:37 AM   #12
El Gran Chico
Veteran

What's bring this issue to the front burner is that Aereo is about to expect into about 20 other cities.
Old 2013-04-09, 11:46 AM   #13
El Gran Chico
Veteran

^^^^ The thing is, if the court continues to side with Aereo, "channels such as WNBC and WABC" will bear no resemblance to what they are now, even their very existence is threatened, which plays in nicely with the FCC effort in trying to reduce the number the tv stations to free up spectrum.
Old 2013-04-09, 11:47 AM   #14
Dr.Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm View Post
If the court says, Aereo you don't have to pay for retransmitting an OTA signal, won't the big BDUs look at that and say, we will take an OTA feed over a fiber feed if it means we can stop paying channels such as WNBC and WABC some cash...
U.S. BDUs have to pay, regardless of how they acquire the signal (unless the local station agrees to provide the signal for free - then the signal is "must carry").

Aereo is claiming that they are not a cable company since they are providing each customer their own individual antenna for OTA reception. So far the only thing that has been decided in court is that a temporary injunction to shut Aereo down will not be allowed. The actual case still has to go to court.

If Aereo wins the court case, the FCC could just change the rules to classify Aereo as a cable company, although this may require a change in the law by congress.
Old 2013-04-09, 07:53 PM   #15
dheian

Default Fox affiliates 'on board' with pay TV plan

From a couple of hours ago:

Fox affiliates 'on board' with pay TV plan

Affiliates suggest they could pipe once signal to BDU's another to OTA.