CBC's OTA Future: Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-03-29, 06:30 PM   #1
Gentleman

Question CBC's OTA Future: Discussion

Is there any update on the London CBC transmitter?

As I understand it, CBC received a one year reprieve for its London OTA transmitter (analogue 23). Does anyone have an update on the future of CBLN London? Is there a plan to convert this transmitter to digital?

And given today's federal budget cuts to CBC, do you think CBLN will go dark later this year?
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-29, 08:46 PM   #2
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Even after the extension, my feeling was the CBC still had no plans to build a DTV transmitter in London and unfortunately, AFAIK, there isn't much the CRTC can do to force them to.
Old 2012-03-29, 09:17 PM   #3
alebowgm
Veteran

Not allow for sim subs in the local market.
Old 2012-03-29, 09:30 PM   #4
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

That is the consequence, but the CBC doesn't care since they show very little American progaramming these days.
Old 2012-03-29, 09:37 PM   #5
alebowgm
Veteran

Agreed... outside of wheel of fortune and jeopardy not a lot I can think of...except with todays budget cuts, they may rely more on low rent American programming to fill slots that were previously filled with CanCon.
Old 2012-03-30, 11:55 AM   #6
BCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
Is there any update on the London CBC transmitter?

As I understand it, CBC received a one year reprieve for its London OTA transmitter (analogue 23). Does anyone have an update on the future of CBLN London? Is there a plan to convert this transmitter to digital?

And given today's federal budget cuts to CBC, do you think CBLN will go dark later this year?
I was among several DH members who sent in letters to municipal, provincial, and federal officials regarding the CBC London CBLN transmitter. I don't want to recount everything that transpired regarding the CBC's 'transition plan ' to digital, but I believe the end result is:

- some transmitters across the country were converted to digital
- the CBC submitted request(s) to the CRTC to keep broadcasting in analogue in certain cities
- the CRTC approved the request(s)
- CBLN in London (and other CBC analog transmitters in other cities as well) remain broadcasting in analog
- I believe that in the future, the CBC will continue to request one-year reprieves/extensions for their analog transmitters
- I think it's June or July 2012 where the CBC will be submitting a renewal for a one-year reprieve for CBC analog transmitters
- it is unknown what will happen as the analogue transmitters begin to fail (ie. replacement part availability)

Now, with the 10% cut to the CBC's budget announced yesterday, along with CBC's unwillingness to convert additional transmitters to digital, it's unlikely we will see more CBC digital transmitters across the country.
BCF is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-30, 12:59 PM   #7
LONSat

As the CBC analog transmission is reaching end of life anyways and in light of these budget cuts perhaps the CBC should look to expediting the shutdown of their analog broadcast network. If they want to get innovative they should probably approach TVO about partnering on TVO's digital transmission network especially in South Western Onatrio. They jointly operate these transmitters with 2 720p channels. One for TVO and the other for CBC English. There would greater benefit to having a strong digital signal and huge cost savings in not operating the multitude of analog transmitters that they still have across the country. The imposed fiscal reality is that they can no longer afford to maintain this older technology.
I realize that legislation may be needed to change the broadcast act / CBC mandate but to be efficient this should be their thinking and not programming and staff cuts.

A little off topic but moving radio 2 to the web would be a good idea as well. In many markets this would free up valuable frequencies that I am sure other broadcasters would jump at.
LONSat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-03-30, 01:22 PM   #8
OTA-London

Default CBC

I think we need to re-think the whole campaign we did last year. The CBC, does not know what they want. They could save a whole lot of money with sharing Digital transmissions. I was one of the DH'ers that campaigned to keep the CBC in London But, I really do not care anymore. The CBC, does not understand the whole business needs of how OTA works. And with other major networks expanding their Digital footprint (CTV and GLOBAL) I think that CBC will start loosing sporting events, that it was famous for. Esp, now the Bell and Rogers own the Leafs.
OTA-London is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-03, 10:13 PM   #9
Jim the Canuck

Location: Ilderton (in the village), Ontario (North of London Ontario)
Question CBC's OTA Future, 2012: Discussion

I know that the CBC was granted one year to keep broadcasting Analog.

from the CBC site:

London region will continue to receive an analogue over-the-air signal from CBC Television until August 31, 2012.

So are we to assume they go dead after August 31, or is there a chance for Digital?
Jim the Canuck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-03, 11:36 PM   #10
Jase88

^^^
To my knowledge, there has been no announcements from the CBC. Nor have I seen any applications on the CRTC website.

Here's what we know:

1) The CBC is on record as seeing OTA as a low-priority.
2) The OTA distribution network for CBC has been described as "antiquated".
3) The CBC has just been handed a significant cut to their budget.

My opinion--and this is purely speculation based on the above--is that the London, Kitchener and other analog CBC transmitters will go dark come their August license expiry.

It's entirely possible that the federal government will take pity on them and extend their licenses.

Either way, I don't see more digital over-the-air transmitter deployments in the near future for the CBC (to replace existing post-transition analog stations).
Old 2012-04-04, 03:48 PM   #11
billhra

Default CBC analogue shutdown July 31, 2012

This is not good news:

http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/site/budget/en
billhra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-04, 05:18 PM   #12
El Gran Chico
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington

I'm not buying these OTA usage numbers that CBC is using.

Quote:
By the numbers
Number of analogue transmitters slated for shutdown 620
Canadian TV watchers using CBC/Radio-Canada's analogue signals 1.7%
Canadian TV watchers using over-the-air (digital + analogue) 5%
Canadian TV watchers subscribed to cable or satellite 95%
“Tuned-out” Canadians (i.e., “no TV”) 7%
Number of CBC DTV transmitters that will continue operation 14
Number of Radio-Canada DTV transmitters that will continue operation 13
The analogue shutdown was already slated for "late 2013" so this isn't really a shocker. If anything, maybe they might think more seriously about providing CBC as a SRC subchannel in some places, and SRC as a CBC subchannel in others. That leaves London, ON, Saskatoon, Saint John NB, etc. high and dry unless they can hitch a ride as a subchannel on another broadcaster's transmitter (not sure how amenable they'd be to that )
Old 2012-04-04, 05:37 PM   #13
LONSat

Regardless of the numbers of analog viewers, I think these budget cuts would mean an earlier demise of the remainin analog transmitters.

Off topic but if CBC is in fact abondoning channel 23 in London perhaps Global would look at that allocation to fill a major whole in their coverage.
LONSat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-04-05, 08:08 PM   #14
roger1818
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
The tuned out no TV number is mostly people using Grey market or US sat services.Therefore the 7% maybe added to their 5% and now 12% may rely on OTA for CBC.
Also, even if you do believe that 7% figure (its origin is questionable), that is a national average, including major cities, where OTA usage is lower. In rural communities (which will be most affected by this shutdown) the usage of OTA is much higher (those same questionable studies quote between 15 and 20%, but in reality it could be much higher).

Having said that, I don't think it is feasible for the CBC/SRC to transition all 620 analog transmitters to DTV, but in this move the CBC is throwing the baby out with the bath water as some of those transmitters are in very large cities that deserve a DTV transmitter, if not a full CBC station. What is needed is a revised mandate from the federal government on how the CBC should distribute its content.

If the CBC is unable or unwilling to expand their operations, then at a minimum they should open the door wide open to affiliate stations for markets that will loose their transmitters come August 1. In many markets they could potentially continue to operate in analog (saving the new owner hundreds of thousands of dollars) if it isn't a mandatory market and the transfer of license were to occur before it is shut down. After it is shut down, the CRTC would likely require all new licenses be digital. I just don't get it. Why not sell the transmitter for a dollar and then rent out the space on the tower (which is likely still necessary for the CBC's radio operations).
Old 2012-04-06, 01:13 PM   #15
jasonbyers7

Default CBC Shutting down remaining Analog TV transmitters July 31/12

July 31, 2012 CBC will be shutting down all remaining Analog TV Transmitters (approx 600) due to recent budget cuts.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...355/story.html
jasonbyers7 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.