Popularizing OTA DTV In Canada - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2006-12-31, 05:10 AM   #106
blakew

It's about time BB and FS put up an antenna. I've been at stores asking department managers, and store managers to set up a DTV demo. Most of the time it drew interest but in the end they'd pass the buck to HQ. So I sent their mutual HQ letters to educate and convince the powers that be to give DTV some facetime in stores.

Next time I'm at my grandparents (in Surrey) I'll having to drop into BestBuy and thank the store manager for being a retail pioneer. Chances are their staff will at least know a thing or two about OTA if asked too!
Advertisement

Old 2007-01-10, 03:48 PM   #107
99gecko
Veteran

Default US: less than 30 percent aware of 2009 DTV deadline

Although the article is refering to the US, it is still an interesting read:
CBS study: less than 30 percent aware of 2009 DTV deadline

If these numbers are true for the US, no wonder DTV is an even bigger mystery in Canada where less people use or rely on OTA, and the CRTC currently is allowing the market to drive the digital transition. The US numbers might suggest a much bigger marketing campaign is required down south.

cheers,
99gecko

edit: direct link to CBS report page http://www.cbscorporation.com/news/p...ls.php?id=1443

Last edited by 99gecko; 2007-01-10 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added link to CBS
99gecko is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-11, 11:12 AM   #108
Tom.F.1
Veteran

I think 30% is real good. I doubt 30% use OTA.

And still 2 years + 5 weeks away!

When was the last time you planned a TV purchase more than 2 years in advance?
Old 2007-01-11, 01:23 PM   #109
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1
I doubt 30% use OTA.
I am not so sure about that. I was recently in MD (just outside Washington, DC) and was amazed at how many buildings had antennas on the roof. I would say that about 75% of the houses and maybe 20% of the small businesses had antennas. With all the stations available out of Baltimore, Washington, Salisbury, and Annapolis they have lots to choose from though there is lots of duplication.
roger1818 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-11, 02:27 PM   #110
99gecko
Veteran

Hi roger1818/Tom.F.1 ,

There are lots of antenna's still up but not being utilized in Canada, so I could guess that it is similar in the US. some people won't go to the hassle of pulling it down. Luckily for some, with the emergence of digital OTA in Canada, their old antennas are getting new life. There was at least one DHC'er that I recall tried hooking up to an older antenna.

Trying real hard to stay on topic here,.... of the 30% who are aware in the US what proportion of those actually use OTA? And coincidently, what is the proportion of the 10 to 15% of Canadians that rely exclusively on OTA are aware of DTV??

At least they have a plan in the US. We'll see what the CRTC says about all this mess in Canada hopefully sooner than later.

And you're right, most people don't put such amount of planning into buying a TV, though they probably should in some cases
Old 2007-01-11, 03:01 PM   #111
VoltesV

Location: ottawa,sony kdfe42a10,rogers 8300HD,oppo 971H,STRDG820,Energy take classic,ps3,macbook,No mon$ters

"There was at least one DHC'er that I recall tried hooking up to an older antenna."

I'd like to be an OTA evangelist here...
I actually tried OTA without an antenna. just the cable with the other end
outside my window, and the reception was crisp.
VoltesV is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-01-11, 08:51 PM   #112
tricky

Didn't I read somewhere that US satellite providers charge extra for local's and thats why most people still use OTA for their locals?

Not sure about that though just something that stayed in my addled brain
Old 2007-02-01, 04:42 PM   #113
groundstate

Default Article: Free Digital Television in Toronto

Hi. I've written a short article about my experiences with digital TV in the GTA. I'm looking for feedback/suggestions/corrections.

http://groundstate.ca/digitaltv

Thanks.
groundstate is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-01, 04:50 PM   #114
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

groundstate:

Hello and WELCOME to the DHC Forums.

I moved your post to the appropriate OTA sub-forum.

Having read the article now it is quite excellent and informative. Of course, a lot of the same information can be found in our Digital Home FAQs and in the OTA Knowledge Base and FAQ. But more articles like this will hopefully spread the word about OTA and the greatness of it all.
Cyclism is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-01, 05:40 PM   #115
HDTV101
Veteran

Great article!

It's really great to be getting the word out there that Digital TV is here and is free. Why is it that the Toronto TV stations never seems to want to advertise the fact that they are available OTA? I've never once heard any of them say during a station break "This is CFTO channel 9 Digital 40" like they do in the US.

I'm also amazed your landlord let you mount that antenna on the side of the building... he seems like a cool guy. Maybe he'll let you up on the roof? If so I would get up there and install a Channel Master CM 4228 with rotor!

The best way to do this is to use a wooden skid... you know the things forklifts pickup. Take the wooden skid up on the roof... place some concrete blocks on it and there you go a very sturdy platform to now mount a tripod too without any damage to the roof.
HDTV101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-02, 01:11 PM   #116
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

groundstate, will you be putting in a link to this Forum? Everything your readers need to know about OTA in Toronto is here.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2007-02-02, 01:29 PM   #117
groundstate

HDTV101: Maybe the local networks don't want to piss off Bell/Rogers? Yes, my landlord is cool. Originally I asked him if I could mount the antenna onto the chimeny. He said fine, but it's about 35 feet up, and I don't have a ladder that long. The wooden skid idea is cool. I have a variation I used to mount a satellite dish on a tin shed. That article coming soon. ;-)

stampeder: Will add a link for sure. Thanks.
Old 2007-02-02, 01:51 PM   #118
99gecko
Veteran

Welcome Groundstate,

Great article!! Just a few points I might make:

Quote:
If you want to see digital broadcasts on an old analog TV set, you can buy a digital receiver. You'll see the images, and they will be pretty clear, but not nearly as good as a true digital set would show.
this may be nit-picking but, some older DTVs do not have digital inputs or an ATSC tuner, so I would fear that some of your readers might think they have an analogue set. This is not technically correct. If the STB is connected via component cables (analogue) to a DTV, the resulting picture quality (PQ) is nearly identical, and indistinguishable to the human eye. Please this for more info:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17873, specifically #2. They do not have to have a DVI/HDMI/Firewire connection for outstanding PQ. More important would be the native resolution of the DTV (many plasma/LCD have a native resloution of 768p, not 1080i/720p which are the ATSC standards) vs. the incoming signal from the STB, and whether the set has been calibrated.

Quote:
OMNI 1, OMNI 2
These two stations were testing their digital transmitters in the fall, but are currently only broadcasting analogue @ channels 47 & 69. Again, I wouldn't want your readers thinking that they are currently on the air.

Thank you for helping to promote OTA digital television, and please post here whenever you can!!

cheers,
99gecko
Old 2007-02-02, 03:17 PM   #119
groundstate

99gecko: Thanks. Fixed the info on OMNI and NTSC. I think you misread my comment about STB's though. I wrote that a digital receiver on an analogue set wouldn't look as good as a true digital set alone.
Old 2007-02-02, 03:28 PM   #120
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

I agree that it is a very good article. Since you are looking for feedback here are a few things I noticed:
  • At 17.4kW CTV is not the strongest station in Toronto. CBLT (CBC) is the strongest at 38 kW. It is also on a lower channel, which also makes it travel further.
  • You might want to mention that although the Silver Sensor was originally made by Zenith, there are copies available that should work just as well.
  • The Silver Sensor is a good indoor antenna, but you might also want to try a 2 or 4 bay antenna. They won't give you the same gain as a 8 bay antenna, but it should be better than the SS (see Comparing some commercially available antennas).
  • It is true that currently digital TV "is usually broadcast over UHF frequencies," but after the analog shutdown (2009 in the US) many stations will move their digital broadcast to their VHF channel (there is talk that VHF-LO (2-6) will not be used along with some of the upper UHF channels (52 and above)).

Last edited by Cyclism; 2007-02-02 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Competing Forum.
roger1818 is online now   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.