Popularizing OTA DTV In Canada - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2005-12-16, 12:15 PM   #16
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
Well okay, you said "almost" but rather than think of geography, think of demography and you'll note that the majority of Canadians now have access to DTV OTA.
I don't think the majority has access to OTA DTV. Those who do have it have it more as an exception, not as a rule. Currently, in Canada there are a total of 3 official channels having a total of 6 or so DTV transmitters in 4 cities - Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Ottawa. They surely don't cover the "majority of Canadians". With CRTC's policy (rather lack of such) the majority of Canadians will not have OTA DTV for many more years to come.
Hey, there even are a few free DAB radio stations in Toronto and lots of people in the border regions can receive US HD-Radio stations. Do you feel that FutureShop is misleading their customers by not offering DAB and HD-Radio receivers at all and pushing satellite radio instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-12-16, 12:36 PM   #17

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Suggest people check out the following thread regarding OTA, what's available, costs, etc.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=32200
Old 2005-12-16, 01:09 PM   #18
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipros
- antenna receiptions prove to have problems, low qualilty, or not available to general public.
There might be some problems during bad weather once or twice a year, but you are incorrect on the other 2 points.

vipros, I invite you to get up to date on how things really are with OTA DTV in Canada, especially with the ATSC standard:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...31&postcount=1
Old 2005-12-16, 01:11 PM   #19
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
I don't think the majority has access to OTA DTV.
You've forgotten about the wealth of U.S. stations that are available. I invite you to read through the GTA, Quebec, and BC threads in the OTA Forum to see that the great majority of Canadians either now have access to the best in DTV or soon will.
Old 2005-12-16, 01:12 PM   #20
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
Suggest people check out the following thread regarding OTA, what's available, costs, etc.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=32200
...and of course check out the whole OTA Forum for more detailed info on those points.
Old 2005-12-16, 01:38 PM   #21
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
It makes me wonder how much of a kickback FS/BB is receiving from Shaw/Rogers/ExpressVu and Starchoice.....????
That is the most ridiculous thing, I've heard today!

You really think that representatives from Shaw/Rogers/ExpressVu and Starchoice get together with representatives of FS and BB and hammer out a deal for how much they'll pay so that they don't include OTA tuners on their point of sale material.

I suppose that FS/BB also get a kickback from Global and those other HD channels that aren't actually displaying HD on their HD channels.

I guess the fact that the bulk of Canadian population couldn't get an HD channel even with an ATSC and that would lead to a stampede of idiots returning their HDTV's because their tuner doesn't get HD channels has nothing to do with it or the fact that 95% of the population with televisions use cable or satellite. NAH, that couldn't have anything to do with it.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 2005-12-16, 01:43 PM   #22
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default Its all about marketing $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
I guess the fact that the bulk of Canadian population couldn't get an HD channel even with an ATSC
That's likely what happens, people get the new HDTV home and plug it in, but the FS or BB or whomever sales person likely told them that the only way they'll get HD is to also pay them for a Satellite or CATV HD STB too. Kickbacks? Its more like lack of awareness of competitive options. Since there's no national-level marketing oomph for local OTA antenna installers to make their presence and options known, they are behind the 8-ball and most potential customers will not know a thing about what they're missing.

We've seen this so many times before, with boutique stores for high end stereos, computers, etc. filling the void. Local OTA installers will have to try that sort of approach in their areas to make a go of it. The real videophiles will have come here to DHC already, but eventually word of mouth will bring in more business as people see the OTA HD experience with their own eyes and recognize the lighter load on their wallets than CATV or DBS.

This is not happening across the U.S. because TV aerials are so commonplace that a person buying an HDTV even from the big box stores already knows who the local OTA aerial installer is.
Old 2005-12-16, 01:50 PM   #23

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

OTA is so prevalent in the US because that's often the only way to get the local channels. They're not carried by many of the cable or Sat service providers there.

Exactly the opposite is true in Canada where the Cable/Sat Companies (BEV/Rogers) are offering just about anything legally available in HD, both now offering over 30 channels in major areas.
Old 2005-12-16, 01:51 PM   #24
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
OTA is so prevalent in the US because that's often the only way to get the local channels.
Aided and abetted by the fact that almost all homes in the continental U.S.A. get at least one OTA DTV station.

Rogers might be just fine for you in your area, but you should say "...in some parts of Canada...". BEV has been great except for their transcoding/compression ruination of perfectly good HD. Shaw Cable and StarChoice are having a terrible time ramping up their HD lineup, so you forgot to mention that.
Old 2005-12-16, 01:56 PM   #25

Not disagreeing there. Many metropolitain areas have 10 or more OTA DTV stations.
Old 2005-12-16, 03:01 PM   #26
Arthur Dent
Veteran

Quote:
You've forgotten about the wealth of U.S. stations that are available. I invite you to read through the GTA, Quebec, and BC threads in the OTA Forum to see that the great majority of Canadians either now have access to the best in DTV or soon will.
Thanks for the kind reminder, I thought only Canada had DTV on this planet. Cut me some slack, I've been reading these and other HDTV forums only for the last 5-6 years, may be I've missed the news of DTV stations appearing in the US and it's never occurred to me that Canadians may be living near the US border.
Old 2005-12-16, 03:06 PM   #27
hugh
Member #1

Guys, the thesis of this thread was that FS and BB were getting kickbacks from Rogers et al in order to keep consumers unaware of ATSC tuners.

Lets stick to that issue!
Old 2005-12-16, 04:42 PM   #28
bete_noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
That is the most ridiculous thing, I've heard today!

You really think that representatives from Shaw/Rogers/ExpressVu and Starchoice get together with representatives of FS and BB and hammer out a deal for how much they'll pay so that they don't include OTA tuners on their point of sale material.
Okay, maybe "kickback" is the wrong word to use due to the criminal connotations....how about: "financial interest".....????

If indeed they are getting a finders fee or whatever from ExpressVu and StarChoice, then maybe they should disclose the fact.....
Old 2005-12-16, 04:46 PM   #29
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bete_noir
If indeed they are getting a finders fee or whatever from ExpressVu and StarChoice, then maybe they should disclose the fact.....
I was in FS last week and there was a team of guys with BEV jackets bringing promo materials into the store but no FS staff helping them. To me it was just a sign of business as usual: marketing is how it works and the FS floor staff just sell what's been put there.

Its like Pepsi guys putting up stuff in a Wal-Mart... just doin' their jobs.
Old 2005-12-16, 10:21 PM   #30
HDTV101
Veteran

Quote:
a team of guys with BEV jackets.
Were they the nice Film Crew jackets? I would like a BEV jacket