Zenith Silver Sensor (& Clones) OTA Antennas - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2008-04-10, 07:49 PM   #241
spech

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
Spech,
With an ATSC tuner, you have a choice: you can watch SD (on any TV) at far higher quality levels than NTSC can deliver, or with an HD display, see yet another leap in image quality from SD to HD for the limited subset of programs broadcast in HD.
Thanks for the explanation, fbov. I had no idea I could use an ATSC tuner on a regular SDTV.

If this is true, then which combination would produce the best quality:

* HDTV with ATSC tuner on analog cable
* SDTV with ATSC tuner on digital cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-04-15, 12:00 PM   #242
goldfingerz

I've been doing some more testing with my ZSS clone. A couple of things I've noticed, it's very sensitive to the direction you point it.

With the pHDTV3 that I have, I usually get the best result when the antenna is standing upwards like a x-mas tree and the top is facing the direction of the antenna. Sometimes just moving the antenna a foot to the left or right can also make a difference. I'm quite surprise to see how sensitive it is compared to rabbit ears.

Another thing I noticed which greatly affects my DTV reception are the rabbit ears that come with the pHDTV3. I've noticed everytime I raise and expand those 2 antennas, it seems to interfere with my DTV reception and drop my reception by about 30%-50%. Does this make sense? I thought the antennas would mostly affect VHF and not UHF reception. So far I've had to retract those antennas and fold them underneath the ZSS type antenna (triangle).
Old 2008-04-16, 12:10 PM   #243
fbov

Spech,
You're still confusing things. There are three stages to this:
Signal source >>> Tuner >>> Display

Signal sources are OTA and Rogers Cable, both analog and digital.
Displays can be SD (ED) or HD and they may or may not include a tuner.
Tuners can be NTSC (analog), ATSC (digital OTA) or QAM (digital cable).
(Rogers may use encrypted QAM requiring a set-top box to decode.)

So ...
- HD and SD displays work with ATSC tuners for OTA only, but give the best quality
- Displays with cable-ready (NTSC) tuners can use analog cable directly, but you get analog quality
- Displays with QAM tuners (neither ATSC nor NTSC) can use clear digital cable
- Displays need a STB if there is any encryption in the cable signal, analog or digital
(Cable image quality will vary with bandwidth allotted, but never better than OTA today.)

A bit more complex, perhaps, but I hope you can see that the tuner must match the signal source, regardless of display.

Frank
Old 2008-07-17, 10:43 AM   #244
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Lightbulb New Channel Master CM4040 = Silver Sensor clone

I just noticed that Channel Master now makes a Silver Sensor clone. The model number is CM-4040. One interesting feature is they designed it to be wall mountable.
Old 2008-07-18, 01:33 PM   #245
ericball

It looks different enough that I wouldn't consider it an SS clone. It might not even be an LPDA - the spacing of the elements doesn't adhere to the LPDA ratios and it doesn't appear to use the SS vertical offset trick to cross wire the elements together.

The wall mount is a good addition, I wonder if it swivels left/right when wall mounted?
Old 2008-07-18, 01:45 PM   #246
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

I was thinking the same thing, but if they've spaced it as an LPDA (ZSS clone) covering just channels 14-51 then I think it would look scrunched the way it does. It would be interesting to get the measurements of the elements to see if that's what they did.
Old 2008-07-18, 03:03 PM   #247
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericball
The wall mount is a good addition, I wonder if it swivels left/right when wall mounted?
I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it does swivel.
Old 2008-08-11, 08:55 PM   #248
period3
Rookie

Default crappy reception

I have a Hauppauge 950 USB tuner and Phillips silver sensor clone (phdtv1). I live about 3.5km from the CN tower on the 17th floor of a 20 floor apartment building, facing north (away from the tower).

I can't get any stations. I think the antenna is working, because I do pull in all the regular analog transmissions. If I fiddle with the antenna, I can sometimes pull in a single digital station.

Is there some trick to this? I've tried moving the antenna around. Stupid question: should the narrower end be pointing towards the station or away from it? Either way it doesn't help much though...
Old 2008-08-11, 11:04 PM   #249
99gecko
Veteran

Quote:
Stupid question: should the narrower end be pointing towards the station or away from it?
Not a stupid question.
The narrow end faces the direction the signal is coming from.
Old 2008-08-15, 10:35 AM   #250
Orbberius

Default The Source to start selling ZSS Clone

It looks like The Source will start selling the Terk HDTVa soon, for $80. I realize the price is ridiculously high, but the opportunity to buy a ZSS/clone here in Montreal with the option of easily returning it (if things don't work) is worth it for me.
Old 2008-09-25, 02:09 AM   #251
kq76
Rookie

I'd like to thank everybody at this forum for all that I learned from reading your posts, especially stampeder.

I tried a couple Nexxtech antennas from the Source, but didn't like either one very much. After reading this forum I came to the conclusion that I should try the Silver Sensor clone by Philips from Dell for the 34 bucks and if that doesn't work well enough I'll try the SharpShooter from somewhere (any suggestions?). Anyway, even though my problem is not yet solved, I'm much happier with what I've learned from you guys so thanks!
Old 2008-09-25, 02:32 AM   #252
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

kq76, thank you for the nice props and also thanks to everyone who helps out here.

Looking forward to seeing how things go for you!
Old 2008-11-25, 06:30 PM   #253
spech

Default Is there a way to check the integrity of an antenna?

I was testing a couple of USB ATSC tuners and wanted to see how good of a reception I could get with a powered antenna vs. the small portable ones included with the tuner. I connected a Philips Silver Sensor PM-HDTV3 to both a Hauppauge Wintv HVR 950 and a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick, and to my amazement, I got fewer channels with that than when connected with the portable antennas that came with the tuners.

I should note that my Silver Sensor was purchased used off Ebay, and I did notice that the little metal wire was originally bent (I had to bend it back in order to screw it on properly). Would that have made a difference? Or is there a proper way of setting these things up that I don't know about?

Thanks!
Old 2008-11-25, 07:54 PM   #254
Emerald_Boar

I know from experience that poor connections do affect quality of a signal.

You should check around and see if whether the wire was suppose to connect to something important. Maybe part of a circuit board.

Good Luck,
Emerald_Boar
Old 2008-11-26, 04:10 PM   #255
spech

I'm sure the wire makes contact with something important. If you look at this image, the wire is the thin one that comes out from the middle of the ends:

http://www.computingsolutions.ca/cat...al%20cable.jpg

It was bent in, but I just unbent it before screwing it onto my tv tuner card.