Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

57's Home Theatre Optimization

188K views 233 replies 169 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Updated 2016.11.30

It's been a great 10+ years, but I've decided to no longer provide Optimization services to Digital Home members/friends/relatives. It takes a great deal of work to keep up-to-date with all the latest products in order to optimize them properly. The latest change to "break the camel's back" has come with many people purchasing 4K TVs, 4K STBs (many of which cause issues with AVRs/TVs) as well as many people using streaming technologies instead of DVDs/BDs. Although I could probably continue, there are simply too few people contacting me for these services to make it worth my while. I would like to thank all those people who have utilized my services.

This post has been approved by the admin.

Not optimizing your home theatre is like purchasing a furnace without a thermostat. (Home Entertainment Magazine - Paraphrased)

57’s Home Theatre Setup, Assistance, Optimization, Consulting and Training Service

Many of you know me as a moderator on this forum. I can be of assistance to people who are setting up their home theatres and wish them optimized. I specialize in optimizing all of the equipment in your home theatre, not just the TV.

I have done hundreds of optimizations for people with a huge variety of different equipment. Please read their comments on the pages that follow.

I am able to assist with the following:

- Setup/optimization of a TV using several different test DVDs/BDs and your DVD/BD player (user settings only).
- Connecting various components to each other, to optimize performance
- Recommending placement of the components, speakers
- Setting up and optimizing A/V receiver/speakers (SPL Meter, DSPs, Connections, input assignment, naming, etc)
- Optimizing the setup of all other equipment including BD/DVD Players/recorders, STBs, VCRs, Game Systems, CD players, etc.
- Recommending alternate ways of connecting components
- Recommending alternate seating arrangements and lighting
- Recommendations regarding cables, connections, placement.
- Discuss A/V connections through A/V Receiver, or direct to TV, or through TV
- Help with “translation” of your operating manual(s) into layman’s English
- Show you how to operate your system best
- Tips on “better/easier” ways to do things
- Basic assistance with remote control(s).
- Assistance in getting your remote(s) to control other equipment (not always possible depending on the remote and equipment)
- Assistance with spouses, children in operating the equipment.
- Supply of cables if requested (at prices lower than most stores)
- Answering any questions you may have about your system.
- Very minor installation services - but I do not wish to go inside walls or outside the home.
- Yes I optimize front projectors, I use the test patterns from Spyder, AVIA, etc.
- I do not go into the service menu of your TV.

- - Consultation before purchase, including home survey, recommendations, etc. Most people who've had a consultation have commented back to me saying they saved much more than the cost of the consultation in equipment purchases, or recommendations, or installations, not purchasing the wrong equipment, etc.

The default settings for the equipment are never the proper ones for an optimized system. BD players, STBs, TVs AVRs usually have hundreds of user menu settings, all of which need to be set appropriately for an optimized system.

Quick Consultation:

When you're ready to arrange the Optimization, it's a good idea to contact me if you're planning on purchasing any new equipment just before the setup. Many people purchase equipment that they regret because it doesn't do what they expect.

For example, people buy a HTiB, but it doesn't have any digital audio inputs for DD5.1 sound, or it doesn't have enough of them if they need more than one device connected.

Also, many people are confused about HDMI inputs on AVRs. People assume that they will be able to use the HDMI for audio in the AVR, when some less expensive AVRs/HTiBs don't handle the HDMI audio at all, requiring separate digital audio connections. etc.

This can usually be done in a few minutes at no charge. If it takes longer, then we can negotiate a fee depending on the time and location.

Operating Manuals:

It's a good idea to have the operating manuals handy. I can usually find my way around without them, but sometimes some obscure function may require a visit to the manual

Price List:

The price for my optimization service is $100. This includes up to 3 hours of my time on-site for any of the items listed above, at your home, at your convenience. (this $100 covers about 4-5 hours total time, including travel, pre-discussions, some research on your equipment and my vehicle costs)

Additional or a shorter time is possible and can be negotiated. Additional time is usually $30/hour.

If your TV is in the default (store) mode, the cost of my services can be recouped though energy savings alone over the life of the TV. A properly optimized TV uses less power than one in the default (store) mode.

A typical optimization takes about 3 hours (TV, STB, AVR, speakers, etc). This assumes that that all the equipment is already set up and connected. I can assist with setup/connection, sometimes minor installation, but additional time is usually required for this work.

Where available?

In and around the GTA. Distances of more than 5 km from Yonge & Eglinton will typically be priced at $1 per additional km one way over 5 km. (So, if you're 30 km away, the price would be roughly $125 instead of $100) I don't think it'd be economical for me to travel more than say 200k one way, so that an overnight stay is not required.

Smokers:

I am allergic to cigarette smoke, so if you are smokers, I will be pleased to come to your home, provided no one smokes inside while I’m there. (Pets are fine)

My Background:

I’m a semi-retired professional engineer, who sold technology into the Oil/Gas industry for 31 years.

My hobbies and interests include: Home Theatre, computers, good red wine, good beer, X-C skiing, cycling, running, travel, BBQ’ing and cooking. I've always been very interested in audio/video equipment.

I have no “store association”, therefore I act as an independent consultant if requested.

(I do not wish to assist with setting up HTPCs - not my specialty, but I can certainly work with an HTPC that's incorporated into the overall HT)

I am not interested in making a full time business out of this. I'm currently doing this a couple of days a week.

In the same way that people hire a contractor to add a deck to their home or for a bathroom renovation or an interior decorator or architect before renovating, they should not be embarrassed to hire someone to consult with or to properly set up and optimize their Home Theatre equipment.

For more on optimization, see the following article on Digital Home Canada:

Why you should optimize your Home Theatre : Digital Home

Please PM me with your contact information - e-mail address and phone number if you're interested. (PM is a private message, that can be sent by clicking on my username and scrolling down to send a private message.)

Post with additional information:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-...home-theatre-optimization-16.html#post2666089

See less See more
#2 ·
I would like to quickly let all of you know that using the above services by 57 was probably one of the best decisions I could have made. I am extremely happy with the results after he spent 3.5 hours both educating me and optimizing my home theatre set up.

If you might be the least bit hesitant, think about the amount of money you spent on your system, probably in the thousands, and figure that for only a fraction of that amount ($100), you can get everything working the way it should by utilizing this service by 57. (believe me, you may think that you have everything working properly as I did, but after 57 was done, I couldn't believe my eyes at the difference)

Trust me, its worth it!

#5 ·
Great service, Hugh - is there anyone in the Ottawa area that you might recommend for calibrating my HPR4252C Samsung? I've had the set a little over a month now, been careful re: the break-in period and really have NO major issues with the picture. I was one of the lucky ones, I guess in that the pic was great right out of the box.

On some forums though, the HDTV picture is so real you could touch the fields of wheat and get your hands wet in the babbling brook!! So although I am very pleased with this picture, I feel it could be just that much better with some sound (and knowledgeable) adjustments.

I'm looking for a professional in the calibrating field to take this set to it's full potential, so any help available for me in the Ottawa area?.

thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

#7 ·
For those who have had 'professional' installations, you may want to take advantage of 57's services to check the 'professional' work.

Last weekend I helped a neighbour hook up his new Samsung SIR-T451 STB to his Pioneer plasma display only to discover (in a neatly coiled and zip-tied bundle of connectors) that the 'pro' installer had used an excellent quality UltraLink component video cable to connect a BEV 4100 via composite and R & L analogue audio OUT to the plasma control unit.

$100 for a piece of mind considering the thou$and$ $pent on a home theatre, seems like a heck of an investment to me.

#9 ·
filper said:
$100 for a piece of mind considering the thou$and$ $pent on a home theatre, seems like a heck of an investment to me.
Considering the markup on UltraLink cables I suspect the installer can buy a lot of 'peace of mind.' Using these on a 4100 is a total waste of money and a misapplication of the product. I doubt anyone will see or hear any difference over the cables supplied with the 4100. A difference may be seen with a 9200 HD PVR but many will dispute even that. BTW, I have several UltraLink component cables I no longer need since getting a HDMI capable TV.

#10 ·
I_Want_My_HDTV said:
Considering the markup on UltraLink cables I suspect the installer can buy a lot of 'peace of mind.' Using these on a 4100 is a total waste of money and a misapplication of the product. I doubt anyone will see or hear any difference over the cables supplied with the 4100. A difference may be seen with a 9200 HD PVR but many will dispute even that. BTW, I have several UltraLink component cables I no longer need since getting a HDMI capable TV.
I don't think the complaint was about the Ultralink Cables, but about the "pro" installer using Component Cable to connect the devices using the Composite and L+R audio terminals. A "pro" installer would have connected the component cables to the component terminals.

#13 ·
E-mail sent. For the benefit of others in similar situations (outside the GTA), here's my response.

Hello, you asked me to e-mail you about my assistance. I am pretty flexible on times, but I noticed that you're in Ottawa. I have no plans to work more than 200km from my home, since this is something I do part time and I'd need to charge too much for travel. Ottawa is definitely too far.

My charges are as outlined in this thread and I have worked within an hour or two of my home (one way) for the noted additional mileage charge.

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Thank you for your interest, 57
I've modified my original post to discuss travelling distances.

#14 ·
Home Theatre

I would like to thank 57 for help (for complete) setup of my new home theatre system.

He helped in so many ways to optimize the sound quality and video image of my new Plasma and home theatre components. Our family was fighting last night to see which movies and channels to watch first as it looked and sounded so great.

He even saved me money in cable (HDMI) purchases and other rip-off products the big box stores try to sell you.

All I can say after spending all that money on equipment is the small fee of $100 for three hours was truly the best money spent.

I would 100% recommend 57 to anyone who purchases a new unit and wants a professional setup.

Thank you 57!

#15 ·
Great Service

Thank you 57 for your great service and terrific advice.

My picture looks great. Your impressive knowledge about the various settings helped me to make decisions about the set up of the SA8300HD that has sped up and simplified my surfing and improved my picture quality even more than I expected was possible.Your adjustments to my audio receiver settings and speaker placement has dramatically improved the balance of my sound. All the video and audio questions I had and could not get answers to elsewhere you had easy to understand answers to.

We ended up accomplishing way more than I had expected:

- Answering questions regarding the SA8300HD and optimizing the various settings.
- Answering questions regarding my A/V Receiver + speakers and assistance with setting all the speaker levels, as well as speaker positioning. (subwoofer, center).
- Optimizing the picture on my HDTV using the Spyder and providing a pdf report on that optimization.

Thank You!

#16 ·
Calibration in Ottawa

I used the service of a guy named John Scott in Ottawa. He is CEDIA Certified Professional. He comes with a bunch of professionnal equipments, such as the video sensor (Sencore) that he places on your screen and run a bunch of test patterns and everything get analysed on a laptop to adjust your colors.

I got my 2 projectors calibrated (all inputs independently) by him and everytime, the difference was huge. So if you are looking for the perfect ajustment (not through a blue filter) then that's the way to go. He can even help build your HT.
He is his email if you are interested.
jscott at thesoundchoice dot ca

#17 ·
Tatoo, how much did that cost - roughly, for how many hours?

The Sypder I use also uses the same Sencore video sensor, however, instead of a signal generator, your DVD player sends the signals from a test pattern DVD that comes with Spyder to the TV, which are analyzed by my laptop. Did he go into the service menu to adjust? I don't do service menu adjustments only user menu.

barryschafer. Thank you for your kind feedback.

#18 ·
He is a friend of a friend who got his home theater desgined and built by him, so I don't know if I got a good price or not. Just for the video adjustement, took him 2 hours (with all the talks about home theater stuff) and charged me 150$.

I don't know what you mean by Service Menu but he adjusted the the Red Gain, Red Bias, Blue gain, etc + Brightness, constrast, sharpness, color temp of my Digital In (DVI) and the Red-Green-Blue connections as well, which has tint and saturation. That was on my Optoma HD6800 projector.

To me, for all the money we put in our home theater, that the minimun we should do, get a pro to calibrate.

#19 ·
"Service menu" adjustments are the kind of adjustments that you need a special code to do and are not a nomal "user adjustment" which YOU can bring up at any time.

Most of the ones you mention are User adjustments (Brightness, contrast, sharpness, color temp of my Digital In (DVI) and the Red-Green-Blue connections as well, which has tint and saturation) The other ones may have been service adjustments.

See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) - "Service Codes".

FPs may be different...

#20 ·
Calibration in Tottenham

Hi 57, am well north of toronto, about an hour out or so....100km. Just wondering if that's too far for you and if so do you know anyone up there (newmarket, alliston, bolton) who does this sort of thing that you would recommend?

#21 ·
Jasonbrown53, that issue is covered in my first post under "Where available". I'd have to charge extra for my travel time. This charge could be cut in half if someone else also wanted my services in your area. If you wish to discuss further, please send me a PM.

Bolton, and Newmarket are definitely not "too far" for me, but I'd need some compensation for gas/time. Aliston is a bit farther, but is still quite doable, for a minor additional charge.

I don't know of anyone else doing this type of work for this price.

#22 ·
So 57 came to my house tonight, and I was more than impressed.

First of all he spent some time on the phone with me and discussed the optimum way to hook up my TV with my two stbs and stereo system. He told me the best (cheapest) place to purchase the necessary cables.

Tonight he was very knowledgeable and explained things very well for me to understand. He was able to troubleshoot problems I was having and set up the TV so my life will be a lot easier (with remotes) and I will have the best picture in HD and SD.

He also adjusted the settings (ie colour, tint, sharpness) with a software program and the picture looks way better. (I couldn't have done nearly as good a job with my naked eye).

I really felt it was money well spent (I actually thought my phone conversation with him was worth $100:D . I highly recommend his services and think his services are worth double what he is charging.

Thanks 57

#23 ·
A quick clarification:

Some people have been PMing me lately and concentrating strictly on the "calibration portion" of my services.

Although that is certainly important, that is only one of the items I typically do during my visit. The visit usually encompasses much more than that.

Most people find my services useful for a number of things. It's not just about optimizing the PQ on the TV - that usually only takes about 30 minutes.

1. Optimized PQ of the TV
2. Discussion on stretch modes, input switching, TV settings.
3. Proper setup of the STB options (formats, audio)
4. Proper (optimum) connection of the various components to each other
5. And often, simply general discussions on various topics. I find people often have many questions when I get there and we spend an hour of the 3 hours just talking about whatever they need to know - formats, connections, stretch modes, audio settings on the STB, receiver, speaker placement, TV placement, remote controls, seating arrangement, future purchases, etc.

People are also often intimately involved while I assist - they do the connecting using my suggestions, or learn more about their remotes while we optimize, etc.

This is about the overall HT experience, not just the TV PQ.

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks 57, for the very quick response and availability for coming out to help optimize my HT setup. As I had already used various DHC threads to help me with my initial setup and cable connections, I appreciated benefitting from the additional time that gave us for you to give some additional tips and insights into the how's and why's for optimum setup. I feel more confident that my system is set up properly now, and that if I decide to make any changes, I will understand what I want to change, and hopefully even how to do it.

Thanks again for all your help.

#25 ·
57 comes to Brantford

57 recently came to my home in Brantford. Before 57's arrival I was overwhelmed by the world of HDTV and all of it's attributes (connections, cables, Rogers, Express Vu, manufactures, Plasma, LCD, unqualified sales personnel,.... etc). I was on a roller coaster. My decision to buy a 42" Fujitsu did not come easy. Part of my trying to make sense of all the confusion was perusing the forums world; as a result I came across the professional services of 57. The initial conversations before 57's visit through e-mail and telephone indicated 57's ability to perform the services as indicated.

Once at the house 57 perform his calibration magic flawlessly and in a timely manner (if you think 3 hours is too long it is not) in addition to explaining his thought process. Once the calibration on the Plasma was completed there was time for additional services of my choice. At this time 57 proceeded to fine tune the Bell Express Vu HD/PVR receiver and automated screen formats.

As a value added service 57 indicated I now have access to the Bat phone :cool:

Thanks for a job well done
Dwayne ©¿©¬

#26 ·
57 came to Waterloo too!

Just a quick rant about how fabulous 57's services are...

A few weekends ago 57 came out for a set-up appointment and we couldn't be happier. The money he charges is a drop in the bucket when compared to the $ we spent on the equipment yet without him, we weren't getting all that we could from our new Samsung 46" LCD and Rogers HD PVR unit.

We did not have our HTiB when he was here, but gave us some great buying tips and has been generous enough to check in on us as we try to install the darned thing.
LOL

If you are out there wondering if you should shell out the money for his services, don't waste any more time...a large percentage of the population wouldn't know how to set their own equipment so as to maximize funtionality or picture & sound quality...why not use the help that is out there?

Thanks so much 57 and yes, we did get the rear speakers working (gave up on the wireless transmitter and just drilled down into the garage). We appreciate your professionalism and wonderful follow-up.

Clueless in Winnipeg (who just moved to Waterloo)

#27 ·
I'd like to echo the comments of Diamonddogs and Nelly concerning the value of 57's HT setup and TV calibration services. He was readily available to answer questions prior to coming to my house and very professional once he arrived.

I am very happy with the results of the calibration he did on my Sony SXRD and would not hesistate to recommend his services to anybody that has invested in a quality home theatre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.