CRTC to allow a-la-carte channel picking - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2007-02-06, 07:41 PM   #46
blakew

Quote:
"Must carry" should be: local OTA + US networks.
I couldn't have said it better myself. And I think it should also be available by unencrypted QAM for people with digital TVs... and why not, we're not preventing the cable co. from making the switch to digital, we gladly embrace it.
Advertisement

Old 2007-02-07, 11:32 AM   #47
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerduvernay View Post
"Add a channel for only a month - Dream on" I WANT MY HDTV-
With Videotron, i Pay for 30 channels, and can change any channel during the month. I presently change 3 to 4 channels in a given month.
The only restriction, is that if you cancel channel XYZ you cannot re-activate that channel in the same month.
All this is done via internet using the "self service" option. Within minutes, the changes are made. You can can also use the "interactive" option on the TV via Illico, however, i never tried.
I change my channels via Illico (SA 8300) and it works well. But there is other restrictions: you need to subscribe to a channel for 1 month minimum (you can't subscribe to a channel just for one hour to see a specific show) and you need 50% of your channels "Ó la carte" from Canada.
Old 2007-02-07, 12:16 PM   #48
reddwarf

I've been complaining about the lack of a-la-carte channel selection for 15 years.

If I were allowed to choose:

TVO, CBC, CITY, Rogers TV (if available free), CBS, NBC, ABC, The Shopping Channel (if available free), Sportsnet, Weather Network (until I have my secure wireless network setup), YTV, FOX, TSN, Spike (maybe), BBC World, Showcase, Bravo, Discovery, Comedy Network, Teletoon, SPACE

HD: Sportsnet, TSN, CBC, CITY, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, HDNET

The girlfriend would add: Food Network, Showcase Diva, BBC Canada
Old 2007-02-08, 05:01 PM   #49
Titanium48

Here's how I'd like to see the BDU's offerings structured:

-A regulated fee basic package including all of the Canadian channels which do not charge carriage fees and the major no-fee foreign channels. Cablecos should provide all of these channels in clear QAM and in clear analog so basic customers don't need to buy a STB. Analog feeds could be phased out at the cableco's discretion after the US analog cutoff in 2009.

-Pick and pay for the remaining channels. To support the Canadian industry, classify channels by "theme" and require subscription to one Canadian channel for each foreign channel. If a customer is subscribed to all the Canadian channels in a theme they could then subscribe to as many foreign channels as they wish in that theme. BDUs should also be allowed to offer ANY foreign channels they want subject only to the above cancon restriction. For example, if I subscribe to all the Canadian news channels I should be able to subscribe to any and all foreign news channels I want (say CNN, BBC, Foxnews and Al-Jazeera).

-Specialty channels should be sold on a markup + carriage fee basis, with each shown as separate line items on bills so customers can see how much money is going to the channel and how much is going to the BDU. The markup could be different for HD vs. SD channels, but should otherwise be the same for every channel.

-Bulk discounts on pick and pay channels should be allowed, but they should be threshold values, not fixed packages (ie. buy X or more channels, get Y% off the markup on ALL of your premium channels). Some limits may also be needed to keep the cost of individual channels reasonable (perhaps a $1.00/month maximum markup).
Old 2007-02-16, 05:10 PM   #50
I_Want_My_HDTV

I am happy to see that some providers are offering a good pick'n'pay option. Does that apply to all channels or just a selection of tier 2 offerings? Rogers has had a tier 2 offering like this for several years but it only covered about 30 channels, far from a majority. I don't see the satellite companies doing this any time soon.

I like Titanium48's proposal. I wonder if it will ever come to pass though. The CRTC seems to be increasingly reluctant to tell BDUs how to deliver content, while becoming more restrictive on how Canadians may receive it. That kind of indicates who's running the country these days. I guess corporate dollars are more important than individual's rights or votes.
Old 2007-02-26, 01:17 PM   #51
classicsat
Veteran

AFAIK, Alacarte applies only to the "digital" Tier 2 channels launched since 2001. Starchoice, at loast, has the majority of them Alacarte.

As for an Alacarte system, I devized one:

Channels would be given a point value., based on their tier status and other factors. A US channel would get 2-3 times points than is Canadian peer. That way, you have to get two equivalent Canadian channels to get a US one. Also, providers would be allowed to up to 10-15% of their bandwidth for any foreign channel they can arrange rights for.
Old 2007-02-28, 10:17 PM   #52
DanTou

"Must carry" should be: local OTA + US networks.

Let me add this...

Because many Canadians are not in big cities near the US border, not everyone has access to the same OTA channels.

So, I would say: "Must carry" should be: OTA available in major Canadian cities + US networks.

This would give all Canadians access to the same basic channels.

As you can see in my profile, I'm from Quebec city. The only OTA available is CBC French. I'm sure many other cities throughout Canada have the same problem.

Everything else should be available "└ la carte"; not everybody has the money to buy packages. Of course, packages can still be an option.
Old 2007-02-28, 11:54 PM   #53
nfitz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTou View Post
The only OTA available is CBC French.
Surely Quebec City would have TVA, TQS, Radio-Quebec available OTA. Also isn't there a UHF CBC English rebroadcaster, and the Global station (CKMI) is based in Quebec City as well?
Old 2007-03-02, 07:12 PM   #54
I_Want_My_HDTV

Most cable systems in major centers had US OTA since their inception. Otherwise, nobody would pay for cable service. The signals may have been microwaved in for some areas. Cable TV was created to provide distant US signals to customers. The first "official" cable systems were formed in London, ON and Montreal at about the same time. Cable TV started in London solely to provide distant US and Canadian stations. Most stations on cable were from the US at the time (3 Canadian and 7 US.)
Old 2008-03-19, 06:55 PM   #55
spoonky

lol the first cable company in canada was in brantford ontario and it provided 25 channels when it started.it sarted in 1966 and you would get all the toronto chanels hamilton kitchener london barrie all the buffalo channels and all the erie channels.than rogers bought them out aand screwed brantford cause it dropped all the erie channels.liked it cause we got the nfl when buffalo was blacked out.all that cost was 14 dollars a month
Old 2008-03-19, 07:12 PM   #56
Alan Bealby

First Canadian cable TV in 1966? I don't think so. Nelson, BC had cable TV in the mid 1950's and I don't think it was the first. I am not sure when it started for sure but it was with Spokane, Washington channels. There were lots of small systems in Southern BC in the mid 50's and later.
Old 2008-03-19, 08:15 PM   #57
Bent But

Quote:
lol the first cable company in canada was in brantford ontario
Not even close. Ted Jarmain started in London in 1952 by wiring up 14 houses in the Wharncliffe Rd/Commissioners Rd area. He put up an antenna on the same elevation as CFPL's tower now stands. He offered Detroit 2/4/7; Cleveland 3/5/8 + Erie Ch 12. The cost was $1/month
Old 2008-03-19, 08:29 PM   #58
jscrimshaw

Quote:
Ted Jarmain started in London in 1952 by wiring up 14 houses in the Wharncliffe Rd/Commissioners Rd area
My Grandfather was one of the 14

Here is an interesting link about CATV in Canada called "Basic Cable: Marrying twists of fate with entrepreneurial spirit launched CATV in Canada"

http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/i...issue=11012002

Last edited by jscrimshaw; 2008-03-19 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2008-03-19, 11:01 PM   #59
Pepperidge

Quote:
Most cable systems in major centers had US OTA since their inception. Otherwise, nobody would pay for cable service. The signals may have been microwaved in for some areas. Cable TV was created to provide distant US signals to customers. The first "official" cable systems were formed in London, ON and Montreal at about the same time. Cable TV started in London solely to provide distant US and Canadian stations. Most stations on cable were from the US at the time (3 Canadian and 7 US.)
But why does this mean that the US networks still have to be "must carry"? Basic cable is so commonplace now that there can't possibly be any need to require BDUs to deliver them, especially since Canadian broadcasters deliver the exact same content. I believe that must carry should only include Canadian OTA stations, and that some kind of premium has to be instituted for the US networks, since it's only a vocal few who actually want the networks themselves. This way, we may see a significant reduction in simsubbing, since it wouldn't be commercially imperative for programs to be broadcast at the same time..
Old 2008-03-19, 11:10 PM   #60
Barney Rubble

Should be no must carry. People should be free to choose the channels they want but that aint gonna happen.

I never watch CMT, Shopping, Vision, APTN etc and many other channels I get but I have to get them if I want the channels I want. Like wtf is that? There are only about 16 channels I want yet i have to pay to get channels I never watch.......