New Remote from StarChoice - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2006

Old 2006-02-13, 12:23 PM   #1
smp01

Default New Remote from StarChoice

StarChoice looks to be selling a new (replacement) universal remote. It's cheap, only $25, but lacking.

It doesn't look like it will work with the 530 since it lacks skip forward/back buttons and I can't see a button that will bring up the DVR list.

I have a Harmony 680 and it completely replaced the 530 remote (except function to switch input to front panel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-02-13, 03:11 PM   #2
ARR

Default Buttons, Buttons, those damn Buttons!

Then it probably isn't UHF either.

Is there a link to the site that shows it?

Maybe there is another one coming for the 500 series that are UHF/Ir and with the full set of DVR buttons and ASPECT button.

I heard that was coming, but they needed some new remotes to handle it.
Old 2006-02-13, 05:38 PM   #3
manyoo99

And if the ASPECT button (and other new ones) is available, maybe someone can add it to the Harmony database....
Old 2006-02-13, 06:30 PM   #4
satellite

New remote details:
https://secure.starchoice.com/englis...ccessories.asp

I've heard rumors of replacement UHF remotes becomming available in the next couple of months, but I'm not sure if thats going to be a new type of remote, or just the ability to buy the existing URC-547 type remotes as replacements...
Old 2006-02-13, 06:39 PM   #5
cellarboy

That's a funky looking unit. They've finally abandoned the Motorola branded units and picked a part from a company called Contec, a set-top-box repair company, amongst other things. At least the code set looks a bit more up to date, the ones in the Motorola remotes was getting a bit stale.

Never could understand why SC didn't pick a cheap part from UEI for their remotes. Best uni remote code set by far and by and large work like gangbusters.

EDIT: Ahh I see the connection -- Contec bought Motorola Broadbands Mexico facility a few years ago.
Old 2006-02-13, 07:13 PM   #6
ARR

Almost looks like my famous Tivo "Peanut" remote.

But the 500 series remotes were made by another non Motorola company (ICX Global). Apparently they made the Echostar Dish/Bell remotes.

The problem with UEI and most others are they are cable centric and are not generally UHF+Ir, don't support remote addresses and don't understand that Starchoice (In their infinite wisdom) calls the MENU button OPTIONS

I think the 'new' remote will start to ship in future 500 series products AND be available as a purchase replacement/upgrade maybe.
Old 2006-02-13, 07:50 PM   #7
satellite

I haven't decided if I like the new remote or not yet. In some ways, I think its a step backwards in terms of having the essential "guide" key burried between "help" (who ever uses that?) "info" and "exit. I'd have left Guide on the edge, same with Options in the lower row. At least Vol+/-, Mute, Last Ch and Ch+/- are still in the same order...on my non-Star Choice PVR remote, Mute and Last Ch are reversed and it drives me crazy!

Notice the inclusion of the Red/Green/Blue/Yellow buttons like the new 530 remotes, which is another sign Star Choice may be trying to bring out something for Interactive TV...
Old 2006-02-13, 08:19 PM   #8
cellarboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite
Notice the inclusion of the Red/Green/Blue/Yellow buttons like the new 530 remotes, which is another sign Star Choice may be trying to bring out something for Interactive TV...
Always a possiblity given the tests they had in-house about a year ago and it would be nice (DiscoveryHD first though, if you're listening!!) Though given the screaming heebie-geebies the cost of implementation gave the management, I find it hard to imagine.
Old 2006-02-13, 08:36 PM   #9
cellarboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARR
Almost looks like my famous Tivo "Peanut" remote.

But the 500 series remotes were made by another non Motorola company (ICX Global). Apparently they made the Echostar Dish/Bell remotes.
That's interesting. My 500 series remote is Motorola branded. Though how much faith you can put in that when the FCC ID on the part refers to the certification of the URC440 remote from 1999...

ICX produce some wicked funky remotes!! Some of those limited button remotes would have fit the bill for the often joked about 'control for the remote impaired'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARR
The problem with UEI and most others are they are cable centric and are not generally UHF+Ir, don't support remote addresses and don't understand that Starchoice (In their infinite wisdom) calls the MENU button OPTIONS
Wouldn't that be why you'd contract them to produce an OEM remote to the customers' specifications? You wouldn't just pull one of their retail remotes and stick it in the box. I don't see the lack of UHF as a big problem either given the vast amount of SD versus HD boxes SC sell.
Old 2006-02-13, 08:44 PM   #10
ARR

Wink Hey, wait a sec...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite
... burried between "help" (who ever uses that?) ...
I use it All the time. Since I can never find my bill and the internet is either down or the *c web site is too hard to find a phone number, Use the HELP - CONTACT section for the phone number!

Almost one of the best features, at least until the boxes becomes more stable.
Maybe the'll put it on speed dial for me in some future version, how's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarboy
My 500 series remote is Motorola branded
Maybe, isn't Moto the final supplier of this Frankenstein unit anyways, so that would make sense. We don't see a label that lists all the contibutors, or maybe there is an Easter Egg some where in the code that lists all the developers.
Old 2006-02-13, 10:35 PM   #11
satellite

Default Am I going crazy?

Has the "help" button always been active on the 505? I seem to recall it used to just bring up "contact your service provider".
Now I've got a whole Interactive help menu, with a couple of interesting options in there...
Old 2006-02-13, 10:56 PM   #12
ARR

OH, that must have been dormant until the 530 IPG port came down.

I mostly use the 530, so I didn't notice it missing in the old 505 code.

Say you're saying THAT appears to be new then.

It's a whole lot better than the very informative "Contact Your Service Provider"
Old 2006-02-14, 11:16 AM   #13
satellite

Exactly. I just checked my 500, which still says "contact your service provider"...up until the new firmware, thats what the 505 said too.
Old 2006-02-23, 11:47 PM   #14
canada45

Default New Remote

I received 3 of the new remotes with my 3- 315`s. It is one crappy remote. It is hard to program and only works on some of my equipment. 2 out of the 3 I received do not work properly . Star Choice is sending me 2 new replacement ones that are OEM remotes. The main remote I use with my 505 is the Harmony 688. Now that is one cool piece of quality electronic equipment

Canada45
Old 2006-03-08, 10:27 PM   #15
dbhearn

Anybody using a Radio Shack or One For All remote to handle their system?
Dave