Free TS Video Stream Editor? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2006

Old 2006-01-25, 05:59 PM   #1
James Nickerson

Default Free TS Video Stream Editor?

I've been recording shows from my DCT 6412 cable box to my PC using CAPDVHS and converting the .ts file to DVD using HDTV2DVD. Almost every time I capture the .ts file it comes out unreadable by the HDTV2DVD software. I have been using another software package caled VideoRedoPlus to fix the file and to edit out the commercials. The VideoRedoPlus software is only a 15 day trial and I was wondering if there were any free options for editing software out there? I'm pretty new at this so any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
James Nickerson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-01-25, 08:24 PM   #2
zancid1

Are you saying that you're trying to convert to DVD format? All HDTV2MPEG does is convert from transport stream to MPEG native. Ironically it doesn't do that that well. That program is best used to do commercial scans and cuts as well as breaking the TS steam into DVD sized bits.

Everyting I've read indicates that yes you can make awesome DVD's from HDTV source but the effort and time is significant w.r.t. to re-encoding and most say why.....

Personally I cap the TS file.

Run it through mpeg2repair then use HDTV2MPEG latest version for very nice commerical detect and cut.

c
zancid1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-01-26, 07:14 PM   #3
James Nickerson

Thanks for the info zancid1. I am making DVDs from HD souces using HDTV2DVD. It seems to work quite well for me. I get an anamorphic widescreen picture with the 5.1 dolby sound track preserved. The problem was I always seem to need to repair the ts file created by CAPDVHS. I take it from what you are saying there is a free program called mpeg2repair that can fix the errors in the ts file before I send it to HDTV2DVD.
James Nickerson is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-01-27, 09:41 AM   #4
zancid1

VideoRedo is the current go to product in the HD crowd, but if all your doing is editing out the commercials the latest version of HDTV2MPG is just fine - just dont use it for convering to MPEG (ironically enough) - keep in transport stream mode.

Keep in mind some players are very sensitive to faults in the files. I find that while ZoomPlayer/TheaterTek are the best pictures that between Media Player Classic and VLC you can play just about any file. <aside>For 1080i I cannot recommend more the Zoomplayer DScaler5 combination with an external library by a guy named kezuh (sp??) specifically for 3:2 pulldown on Film 1080i files. <aside>

mpeg2repair will not work magic, and it can be inconsistent, i.e. some folks find occassionally that the repairs are worse than the original, but I find it usefull.

I'd say that if you find that your Firewire Caps are continually faulty consider the firewire port. I had some issues in the past with the Firewire ports on VIA chipset based MB's and the one on the ATI All-In-Wonders. I spent $20 and bought a four port dedicated PCI Firewire card and haven't had any significant issues since.
Old 2006-01-27, 01:24 PM   #5
Roreman

Try streaming your .ts files through VLC (File->Open Capture Device->Stream Output->Settings->choose a filename and options). I find that this often cleans up corrupted .ts files. You could also try using VLC to transfer your files from your stb instead of CapDVHS.

Another utility that you could use to clean up your .ts files is ProjectX.

Last edited by Roreman; 2006-01-27 at 02:12 PM.
Roreman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-01-28, 02:55 AM   #6
sk1d

on a mac you could use mpegstreamclip, for a pc, i don't know of any good free video editors
sk1d is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-02-21, 07:20 PM   #7
zancid1

I believe VLC has some issues with digital audio passthu (i.e. SPDIF output). Will you no loose your 5.1 when you do this.
Old 2006-02-21, 07:39 PM   #8
Roreman

What issues are you referring to? Personally, I've never had any issues with my 5.1 tracks while using audio passthrough with VLC, but in any case my first suggestion was to simply use VLC to re-process the file, not to play it. I've found that it works well to clean up files that mpeg2repair can't fix. It reads the .ts file as an a/v stream and rewrites the pids to a new .ts file. It also works well for stripping audio tracks out of .ts files.

I'm not sure what kinds of files that James was trying to clean up, but I've found that VLC is the only way that I can clean up some files that I've had no luck using mpeg2repair or projectx on.
Roreman is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.