BC - Delta, Richmond, Surrey, White Rock - OTA - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > OTA Reception Results

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2006-06-11, 04:07 PM   #61
lovemov

Default Moving to South Surrey, need info

This is a cool thread. Thanks Stampeder.
I am moving to South Surrey, I wonder what my option is. It's a townhouse, which I think the antenna goes to attic only for sure. I want ABC HD the most, possible?
Looks like CM4228 is the stuff I need at least, not sure get it from US or Canada is cheaper/easier?
lovemov is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-06-12, 03:15 PM   #62
Jaygeetee
DHC Supporter

lovemov, I can tell you from my experience living in the Grandview Heights area in S Surrey using stacked cm4228s,preamp and rotor that ABC/KOMO is the most difficult of all the Sea-Tac digital network stations to pull in. Before investing money in ota gear you may want to get your location scoped out with a spectrum analyzer and proceed from there.
At this time of year reception from Seattle is very good ,even from ABC but I know its temporary. UPN11 is consistantly good followed by FOX13,NBC5,CBS7 and PBS9. Good luck.
Jaygeetee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-06-13, 02:25 PM   #63
lovemov

Thanks for the advice. I have not moved in yet. Looks like I need some planning. You install all these by yourself or hire a help? Not sure where one can order such service.
lovemov is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-06-30, 06:14 PM   #64
Gujustud

Default Richmond: 2 Rd/Steveston Hwy

Another here from Richmond. My dell 2407 just arrived today, so I really want to get my OTA. I am in the 2rd/steveston hwy area, with my window facing mount seymour. I've got a good ledge also outside (part of the roof) which is covered where I could also put an antenna outside.

I just need to find a place to by a OTA HDTV card locally? Where are ppl buying these from?
Gujustud is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-07-04, 02:51 AM   #65
HT4Ever

Smile South Surrey (Panorama)

Just wanted to let readers know. I'm in the Panorama area of Surrey. I've just recently got me a DVICO USB Fusion with a silver sensor indoor antenna. Moving the antenna around in the upstairs of my townhouse, I can successfully receive KIRO, KING, KOMO and KBCB. Wow, more channels than I though possible.

I think my next steps are getting an antenna/booster in my attic. I'd like to do an outdoor antenna, but as I live in a townhouse, I don't want to go there with my strata. I think an big antenna in my attic will do the trick of getting a few more channels before the Bellingham repeaters. Comments?

PS: Goal 1 is to be able to receive as many HD channels from Seattle as reasonably possible given my location/townhome. Goal 2 is to give less money Shaw.
HT4Ever is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-07-11, 07:01 PM   #66
HT4Ever

Unhappy

I wish I could take back everything I posted earlier. I can no longer receive KING, KIRO nor KOMO from my place in Panorama. It must have been tropospheric (as I have recently read) or weather just like other posters. I hope I didn't mislead anyone with my "one time" results. I'm still going to acquire a larger antenna and hope reception improves. Until then, back to the Shaw HD.
Old 2006-07-11, 07:32 PM   #67
snackguy

Default Also in South Surrey (Panorama)

I also live in Panorma, around 60th & 128 street. I just got a Bell 6100. It was my dad's and unused. Supposedly I need to have an active Bell plan in order to use the OTA. But I'm gonna give it a go anyways and pick up a Terk antenna and see if I works and what channels I get. Hopefully it does and I could look to get a bigger antenna. Anyone know if I would need 2 directional antennas to point North (Mt Seymour Canadian stations) and South (US stations)?
snackguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-07-12, 05:47 PM   #68
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackguy
I just got a Bell 6100... ...Supposedly I need to have an active Bell plan in order to use the OTA.
Yes you do, so don't waste your time. Regarding antenna ideas, check what others in this thread have done.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-07-12, 06:06 PM   #69
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT4Ever
I can no longer receive KING, KIRO nor KOMO from my place in Panorama. It must have been tropospheric...
Its very strange that you lost all of them at once, but tropo skip is very rare in the Vancouver-SeaTac corridor. Are all the other conditions exactly the same as before (gear, aim, etc.)?
Old 2006-07-13, 02:49 AM   #70
HT4Ever

My Location: I am in Panorama Village area. My townhouse is 1 row in from clear line of sight south.

It was July 2nd and 3rd when KING, KIRO and KOMO came in loud and clear (70%+ signal, excellent audio and video). I haven't seen them since. I can still receive KBCB and CBC. CTV and 33 comes in at 20-30% but no video of course.

Conditions are the same, upstairs bedroom facing south, gear (DVICO FUSION USB and Silver Senor indoor antenna) is the same, antenna aim, I was patiently moving it around to different parts of room until finding the "sweet spot". As for the weather, I recall it was really hot those couple of days then abruptly cooling on Tuesday the 4th (back to work).

I don't have a tv/radio background so I don't really understand tropo. Was it an anomaly that I picked up the stations with an indoor antenna? I haven't read anyone else in South Surrey with such success give the conditions and location. Should we be getting those channels? Nonetheless, I will check for them nightly and wait patiently for them to return.
Old 2006-07-13, 03:06 AM   #71
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT4Ever
...upstairs bedroom facing south, gear (DVICO FUSION USB and Silver Senor indoor antenna)
Okay, now I understand. Yes, its likely that you had a tropospheric skip situation or some other type of atmospheric ducting because even with a direct southward view from where you are you should not be able to get SeaTac station lock with that antenna. DHCers fairly close to you use outdoor antennas to get that kind of reception, so you had a lucky day there.
Old 2006-07-13, 05:31 PM   #72
snackguy

Unhappy Don't want to subscribe

No such luck. Picked up a Terk HDTVi from London Drugs and did a scan. Got 2 digital channels and 9 analogue. Don't know what they are because the Bell ExpressVu wants a subscription, which I don't want to do. Because I really... ok, my wife really doesn't want to spend an extra $57 for Bell HDTV service on 1 television when we currently pay $79 to Shaw for analogue (TreeHouse on every TV!) and Internet (4,800k/s down 480k/s up!). At least it does look promising that if I got a another receiver and a larger antenna, I would probably get up to 6 digital channels. Probably try again later in the fall.
snackguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-07-14, 08:48 PM   #73
phi0x

Exclamation OTA HDTV+Antenna Setup Question (White Rock)

Hi guys, I have had my ATI HDTV WONDER for well... since it came out basically. and I have never been able to get any channels aside from KBCB - 1 24 which is that crappy multi-cultural channel which has basically nothing good on, and its not even the HD that I want, its 480i Im looking to recieve 720p/1080i reception of some good channels such as FOX HD/CBC HD/CityTV HD/ABC HD those channels are the main ones I watch on analog or when I download tv episodes that are HD.

But I would really like to get this setup working, im pretty close to the beach, I live in White Rock, BC. I have tree's to the west of my house, but the front/east side of my house is clear, I could even get some of the west side reception if I need to point an antenna in that direction. I was just wondering if my HDTV tuner is good and also it came with an indoor antenna, I was wondering what do I have to do to setup the antenna outdoors, do I need to buy a whole new antenna and if so, could you suggest some models/online links to purchase pages? I also am a little weary of outdoor antenna's because I always think of them like lightning rods, if lightning were to hit my antenna, would it not shoot straight down the line and into my ATI HDTV tuner which would then get fried along with my pc? and could possibly start a fire? Is there a way to make it where the antenna is plugged into something else that can act like one of those high quality power bars you can buy for 50-100$ that acts as a protector?

I just don't know how to setup an antenna properly and if someone could also post a link to a purchase page of where I can get one of those signal strength testers? I dont know much about everything that I need to get this setup but if you could let me know what tools I will need as in for example the signal strength tester, that would be great!

Also if anyone else lives in White Rock and has an OTA HD tuner setup please let me know which channels you get
phi0x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-07-14, 10:13 PM   #74
blakew

Welcome to DHC, Phi0x

Sounds like you’re on a south facing slope (“close to the beach”). Good for SeaTac stations, not so good for Mt.Seymour stations. From your rooftop is anything blocking your view to the north or south? I don’t know what good pointing to the west would do, maybe somewhat in the direction of Citytv (which hasn’t gone digital yet, nor does it have a transitional license)?

I too have the ATI HDTV wonder (‘tho I don’t use it). The silver sensor that comes with it is great for line of sight type stuff, but for the stations you want to pull in, you’ll need to buy some “fringe” gear. If you read some of the many threads on DHC, you’ll read that the Channel Master 4228 is a favorite for outdoor antennas. Some people even rig up two together. They also have pre-amps, rotators (to turn the antenna in different directions), and lightning suppressors. I don’t have a setup like this (far from it), but if you ask around I’m sure someone will be willing to point you in the right direction (no pun intended).

I think 4DTV provides a service doing site surveys. Try PM’ing him. It’s probably best to get him in to do a site survey of your place before you get your hopes up about SeaTac DT stations.
Old 2006-07-14, 10:32 PM   #75
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Have a look through this thread that I've moved your post into, phi0x, because it has many examples from previous posters in your general area.

Please click on the links at the bottom of this post as well. You've posted so many questions that it is much better for you to get the answers here from the OTA Forum Knowledge Base & FAQ, and then contact us if you need further info that can't be found in the OTA Forum threads. I think you'll find all that you need here.

Tags
antenna, balcony, preamp, tvfools, us channels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.