Vonage in Condo - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > VoIP Providers

Old 2005-12-29, 02:49 PM   #1
BadBBoy

Default Vonage in Condo

I use my phoneline to answer the front door buzzer. Will this still work if I switch to Vonage?
BadBBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-12-29, 03:27 PM   #2
TheTinRam

Maybe.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ghlight=buzzer

To summarize, Some buildings forward the call to a phone number if that is the case give your building your new number. Some use the internal wiring in which case you will have to have a phone plugged into the old POTS jack.

Try the forward test. Forward your POTS line to your cell and have somebody buzz you from downstairs see what happens.

But really… you wont’ know for sure until you try it.
TheTinRam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-12-29, 08:20 PM   #3
thenewdc
Veteran

If the Building has whats called an NSL system for the Enter Com then the Vonage dial tone has to be hard wired down to the Enter Com itself. If your building has an auto-dialer type of system then all you have to do is supply your building manager with your phone number and they will program it into the system. If it is indeed NSL, then the other option is to have a separate phone plugged into one of your jacks to allow access to visitors. NSL systems dont require a Bell dial tone, they will work even if you dont have a phone line.
thenewdc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-12-29, 09:12 PM   #4
Kevin270

Many of the intercom systems actually dial your phone number. If you are getting a number that is local to your apartment/condo then it should work. The idea of forwarding your current phone number to your cell phone and testing the front door to see if you can let yourself in with your cell phone will verify all that you need to know. If that works, then you are home free! I will cross my fingers for you that your intercom is one that dials your number.
Kevin270 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-12-30, 04:57 PM   #5
BadBBoy

Thanks for the info. I'll try forwarding the buzzer to my cellphone.
Old 2005-12-31, 03:10 PM   #6
matriarka

My apartment building uses internal wiring for buzzing in people so I just hooked up an extra phone to the old phone jack. I don't have any landline account.
matriarka is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2005-12-31, 08:31 PM   #7
Kevin270

You can get pretty cheap phones these days. Even as low as $15 for a phone. You could use that for your intercom.
Old 2006-01-04, 10:16 PM   #8
BadBBoy

I forwarded my home number to my cellphone, and I am able to answer my door buzzer with my cellphone.
Does this mean I should have no problem switching to Vonage?

Thanx.
Old 2006-01-07, 10:21 AM   #9
Kevin270

That's correct. From what you have stated, your intercom system works by dialling your home phone number. That's all it is doing. If you subscribe to Vonage and keep your same phone number you won't have to do anything. If you change your number or get a new one when you switch to Vonage, then you'll have to visit your landlord and tell them that your phone number changed so that they can re-program the intercom system to dial your new phone number instead.
Old 2006-07-04, 02:53 PM   #10
kcowan

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Direct 505-530-630, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Panasonic Viera 50", HTPC-HDMI
Question Avoiding duplicate POTS lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBBoy
I use my phoneline to answer the front door buzzer. Will this still work if I switch to Vonage?
We have a large penthouse with the old wired front door security system. Has anyone come up with a solution to avoid having to distribute separate phones on a dedicated circuit through the house?
kcowan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-07-25, 11:54 AM   #11
DennisL

I live in an apartment and use Vonage to answer the front door buzzer.

The only restriction they had was that my area code was 416/647. For some reason they couldn't connect to my 905 cell phone.
DennisL is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.