XM2go Battery Recall - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > SiriusXM Satellite Radio

Old 2005-12-23, 08:58 AM   #1
Kieran

Exclamation XM2go Battery Recall

The battery for the XM2go units (Tao, Myfi, Airwave) has been recalled. If your unit has a white coloured battery, you are OK. If it a black colour, then you will be sent a new one in the mail.

http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp

See "important safety notice" on the bottom of the link above.

http://www.upgradebattery.com/

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE REGARDING BATTERY UPGRADE

In consultation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, we are writing to inform you about an important, safety-related upgrade for the battery supplied with your Delphi MyFi, Pioneer AirWare or Tao XM2GO satellite radio. The parties are aware of reported failures of the battery included in certain satellite radio products. Malfunctioning batteries can overheat and, in some cases, melt or possibly present a burn hazard. To ensure your safety and satisfaction, we are pleased to provide you the enclosed new battery for your radio.

Your safety and satisfaction are very important to our companies. Therefore, please stop using the battery that was provided with your radio and replace it with the one that is included in this package. The enclosed new battery has a white label with dark lettering, so that you can distinguish it from the original battery that came with your radio, which has a black label and white lettering. You should charge and use the new battery according to your radio’s User Manual and any other instructions you may have received when you purchased your radio.

DO NOT KEEP THE OLD BATTERY. Please dispose of your old battery by bringing it to a suitable recycling center or collection point. If you need assistance in locating a suitable recycling facility you can call 1-877-273-2925 or go online at www.call2recycle.com.

If you have any questions about this notice or need any further assistance please call 1-800-261-7628 or go to www.upgradebattery.com. Please confirm receipt of your replacement battery by completing the enclosed prepaid postcard and mailing it at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your cooperation and we apologize for any inconvenience."

This offer only applies to US based units and I have not seen anything mentioned on the Canadian site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-01-03, 11:14 AM   #2
Kieran

Default recall

Just talked to the folks handling the recall of the batteries. It only covers the older XM2go units in the USA since the radios recently imported to Canada for XM Canada may have the newer batteries. Mine is an older unit, so the battery is being sent to my American address since they do not ship to Canada. Great to get a new battery on my year old MyFi
Old 2006-01-17, 06:07 PM   #3
Kieran

Default got my battery

Got the replacement battery for my Myfi. It took three weeks from my call to have it shipped....
Old 2006-01-18, 12:11 AM   #4
thebassman

I bought one from the US (via eBay) - how can I get my battery replaced?
Old 2006-01-18, 02:30 AM   #5
starchoice
Veteran

Re-read the first post. There is a website with the info. You should receive it automatically but you can always call the number. They may or may not take information from you.
Old 2006-01-18, 02:33 AM   #6
thebassman

I activated it with a Canadian subscription, though... the first post doesn't really specify what would happen with a situation like mine. It's a US model activated in Canada.
Old 2006-01-18, 08:12 AM   #7
Kieran

Default XM USA recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebassman
I activated it with a Canadian subscription, though... the first post doesn't really specify what would happen with a situation like mine. It's a US model activated in Canada.
Gee, you may have a problem? XM USA supplies the address and account information to the company handling the recall. You receive a letter in the mail asking you to confirm your address, then they send the battery, although if it is a recent purchase and activation, the battery is sent directly.
Old 2006-01-18, 02:04 PM   #8
starchoice
Veteran

Shouldn't make a difference assuming you bought it brand new. Whether it's U.S. or Canadian, they have your address.
Old 2006-01-18, 02:21 PM   #9
Kieran

Default Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchoice
Shouldn't make a difference assuming you bought it brand new. Whether it's U.S. or Canadian, they have your address.
Alas, the battery recall company will only ship to addresses within the US.

If I was a Canadian, who recently purchased an XM2go radio from a Canadian retailer and the battery was black in colour, I would phone XM Canada ASAP to enquire if their is a recall program in Canada?
Old 2006-01-18, 08:21 PM   #10
starchoice
Veteran

So where did they ship yours?
Old 2006-01-19, 01:01 AM   #11
thebassman

I bought it new off eBay from the US - delivered it to Canada, activated in Canada.
Old 2006-01-19, 02:01 PM   #12
starchoice
Veteran

What I was asking Kieran is where they shipped his battery?
Old 2006-01-19, 06:24 PM   #13
Kieran

Default Us

Quote:
What I was asking Kieran is where they shipped his battery?
to my cottage in NY
Old 2006-01-19, 09:09 PM   #14
starchoice
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran
Alas, the battery recall company will only ship to addresses within the US.
Where did you get this information? First of all, the toll-free number works in Canada and they do take your information even if you call from Canada. I would think that they would tell you if they didn't ship to Canada.

Secondly, the products are now sold in Canada so Canadians would be just as eligible for a replacement battery. I can see that they wouldn't ship to Canada prior to the products being sold here.
Old 2006-01-20, 07:03 AM   #15
Kieran

Default I asked

Quote:
Where did you get this information? First of all, the toll-free number works in Canada and they do take your information even if you call from Canada. I would think that they would tell you if they didn't ship to Canada.

Secondly, the products are now sold in Canada so Canadians would be just as eligible for a replacement battery. I can see that they wouldn't ship to Canada prior to the products being sold here.
I asked the CSR at the company handling the recall. He said they only ship to the lower 48.
The radio may be sold in Canada, but one would hope that since it is being sold so recently, they have the white coloured battery.
The recall is mentioned on the XM USA site but not the Canadian?

If you call and they take your address and you get a battery replacement, then the CSR I talked to was wrong...I am only passing along what I found on the USA XM web site and what I was told when I called for my battery replacement.