Stuttering on Both Playback and Live Television All Rogers Stations on 8300HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2005

Old 2005-11-10, 11:23 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Stuttering on Both Playback and Live Television All Rogers Stations on 8300HD

Tonight, I encountered a lot stuttering, blockiness and skips on Rogers with my 8300HD.

In reading various posts, I found that some folks have experienced stuttering on the playback of recordings and some have had problems with their 8300HD from day one but for the most part any problem that I have experienced in 5 or 6 months was from the program source (I think) and not the unit

Tonight, I experienced frequent stutters and skips on recordings AND live programming. (no recording was taking place)

Am I unique tonight, just the latest casualty or are we experiencing something new?

Thanks in advance,
Hugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-11-10, 11:35 PM   #2
bgclarke
Veteran

I've had no problems tonight with my 8300SD box.

Watched CSI 1 1/2 times tonight - no stuttering during the initial show or the second viewing using the rewind button.

I've only had the PVR for 6 days, so I haven't had time to really mess it up yet
Old 2005-11-10, 11:37 PM   #3
hugh
Member #1

How about on live programs?
Old 2005-11-11, 01:34 AM   #4
bgclarke
Veteran

I watched CSI live, and then went back afterwards so my wife could catch the beginning of the show.
Old 2005-11-11, 10:28 AM   #5
new-guy

I only had stuttering on ALIAS last night (ABC)... but that seems to be an issue with the source... We watched survivor, CSI and then apprentice (recorded) and all of them were ok...
Old 2005-11-11, 11:08 AM   #6
Spanky101

I purchased and hooked up my 8300 HD PVR last evening, tuned in to watch Crosby vs. Montreal Canadians on TSNHD... all I get is pixellation (random blocks of missing data) and stuttering - ouch. Certainly not a good first impression.

This was on live programming and isolated to the TSNHD station (all other HD channels were flawless). Does this point to a source problem? Did anyone else have problems watching TSNHD last evening?
Old 2005-11-11, 11:29 AM   #7
hugh
Member #1

If its one station then you can almost guarantee that it's the source.

My problem was it was on everything so I'm thinking its my box. I'll reboot it today and hope the problem clears up and report back.
Old 2005-11-11, 11:32 AM   #8

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I had no problems yesterday hugh. Sounds like an issue with your STB, or the signal. If the problem persists after the (hard) reboot, check your signal strength, remove upstream splitters, etc.
Old 2005-11-14, 04:56 PM   #9
allanweinman

I had the stutting last week. On all recordings. I had to unplug my 8300HD for about 5 minutes, let it boot back up and all is fine now.
Old 2005-11-20, 12:35 PM   #10
Maximizer99

I have also been experiencing stuttering on playback. I found that sometimes if you pause the playback of recordings and then play it, then it seems to fix the issue temporarily. I have had the 8300 HD PVR for nearly 1.5 years and this problem did not exist when it was new.

Lately, I have been seeing a lot of stuttering on shows on ABC especially Lost.
Old 2005-11-20, 12:46 PM   #11
nfitz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximizer99
Lately, I have been seeing a lot of stuttering on shows on ABC especially Lost.
I've been seeing a lot of this also in the last week or so (8000HD). There was a lot of it a few months ago, it stopped. And then starting about a week or two ago. I've tried rebooting ...

Pressing Stop and Start again always seems to fix it. (well, except perhaps on ABC's LOST ... but that was a poor signal, more than a problem!).

Nick
Old 2005-11-21, 07:05 AM   #12
Aconite

I too have noticed a little bit of stuttering here and there as well. I am not sure if I am noticing it simply because I just switched my 8000 rental for a 8300 and have been paying a bit of attention for possible glitches.

However, I was over at my parents last night and their TV was on. They have Rogers cable as well, but not digital. I noticed some artifacts and even a stutter.

Perhaps some of this stuttering is originating at Rogers or the source of the broadcast and not the pvr box itself.
Old 2005-11-21, 07:47 AM   #13
hugh
Member #1

My problem corrected itself after a couple of reboots.

Aconite, stuttering and other issues often occur with HD but typically they are limited to a particular station or show. Judging from what I've seen and what other members have said, 99% of the problems are the source, with the rest being hardware or Rogers related.
Old 2005-11-28, 01:51 PM   #14
mr. grieves

I am having a problem similar to that reported by the original poster, mine is a bit different but unfortunately I am not allowed to make a new thread since I'm just a newbie .

This is the second time this has happened with my SA8300HD:

I have problems with live television on every digital channel, I can watch for about 10 seconds and then the audio and video will freeze for about 5 seconds then start again. After another ten seconds it will freeze again and the behaviour continues. I have the same problem with playback of recorded shows. This sounds a lot like the OP's problem however I also hear an audible 'click' (fairly loud, hear it from across the room) every 10 minutes or so coming from the 8300HD. The 'click' happens if the unit is on or off. If the unit is powered off and I put my ear to it it sounds to me like the hard drive is seeking constantly (doesn't stop even after the unit has been switched off for a long period).

Interestingly, I can watch analog channels with no problems (still hear clicking from time to time).

I have tried rebooting several times by unplugging for several seconds and then plugging back in. This doesnt fix the problem. I also tried reauthorizing my terminal but this did nothing as I expected.

Last time this happened (about 3 weeks ago) I worked on it all evening and nothing worked, I expected I would have to exchange the unit the next day. However, when I woke up the next morning it was back to normal. I think I read somewhere that the unit downloads software updates around midnight? Maybe this fixed things??

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or better yet has a fix for it.

Thanks!!
Old 2005-11-28, 03:57 PM   #15
gthorley

My fix if it is a rental would be to take it back asap if after trying a hard reboot the same thing happens.

Why put up with a problem if it keeps returning?