Will TiVo officially in Canada improve the 9200? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2005-11-07, 03:07 PM   #1
journeyman

Default Will TiVo officially in Canada improve the 9200?

TiVo is now poised to officially enter the Canadian market - story at http://www.canada.com/entertainment/...f-1caf88454192

Dare we hope that this will persuade Expressvu to:
- expand the program guide beyond 48 hours?
- improve the quality of the program guide?
- establish TiVo equivalent "name-based" recording as currently on the Dish equivalent receiver?

I love the 9200 but it really ticks me off how much better it could be w/o these restrictions.

Regarding the quality of the guide info - here's an example -the cast list on new episodes of NCIS continue to list an actor who were killed off the show last year. Who the heck have they hired to do these listings? Until they fix this I doubt they could really implement succesful NBR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2005-11-07, 03:13 PM   #2
supergenius

Personally, I don't think Bell will care one bit since a Tivo cannot record in HD. Now don't get me wrong, I am a ReplayTv user so I appreciate the things that a Tivo-like pvr can offer (NBR, 12 day guide etc.) but I would not give up my 9200 for anything.
Old 2005-11-07, 03:34 PM   #3
hugh
Member #1

The competition for Bell is Rogers/Shaw/Cogeco/Videotron and Star Choice.

The 9200 features are programmed in the U.S. where TIVO has been around for years so the folks at Echostar know all about Tivo.

Don't get me wrong, 7 years ago I wanted a Tivo. They had a chance to come to Canada for years and didn't. IMHO, they missed the boat.

BTW, this is not new. It has been on the website for some time now and several threads exist discussing this
Old 2005-11-07, 03:50 PM   #4
Crispy

I used to have a Directivo with lifetime subscription. Set up was easy as it had local Candian phone numbers to dial into

Crispy
Old 2005-11-07, 06:10 PM   #5
james99

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergenius
Personally, I don't think Bell will care one bit since a Tivo cannot record in HD.
Unless you have a PVR that does:

http://www.cesweb.org/shared_files/i...nphoto2787.jpg
Old 2005-11-07, 08:32 PM   #6
DrewSat

I bought a TIVO. It's kind of cool, but having an integrated pvr with a satellite or cable receiver is the way to go.
The latency between controlling the tivo and the set top box is brutally long. It's also tough to match up what you have subscribed to and what the tivo has in its guide. if you dare channel up, you could become out of synch between the tivo guide and the programming. Have to create a favourites list to match it up I suppose.
The recording time is a little deceiving. The record quality must be set to standard to get 80 hours out of the 80 hour box. If you want good/best quality then you are stuck with 35 hours of record time.

The home networking features and remote recording is a killer app...if you can find the right USB wireless transmitter to find it work that is.
Old 2005-11-07, 09:27 PM   #7
unreal1080p

Default Who is to say that Bell Expressvu wont ditch Echostar?

If Bell where smart,
when they make there move to MPEG4,
they should ditch Echostar/Dishnetwork all together and comandeer TIVO to make a dual tuner integrated MPEG4 sattelite receiver for them. If BEV was smart, all there receivers would be HD PVR's (in a couple of years i mean) and they should have 2 models:

1)A vanilla dual tuner MPEG4 TIVO HD-PVR with a modest hard drive

2) A quad tuner Server MPEG4 TIVO HD-PVR with a MASSIVE Hard Drive that can output (via homeplug 2) up to 4 HDTV at the same time.

If Starchoice does this, then screw Bell i'm switching over even if i can't get NFL Sunday Ticket in HD... (I plan on getting DirecTv in 2007 once they deliver on there promise of 150 channels of National HD so i'll get it with them...).
Old 2005-11-07, 10:52 PM   #8
hugh
Member #1

Quote:
If Bell where smart, when they make there move to MPEG4, they should ditch Echostar/Dishnetwork all together and comandeer TIVO to make a dual tuner integrated MPEG4 sattelite receiver for them.
Which would mean dumping those 1.6 million customers with their 3 or 4 million receivers too.

Please explain how that would be smart?
Old 2005-11-07, 11:07 PM   #9
Crispy

hugh,

How would that be hard to do. TIVO can make the receivers. No one said they can't still use DBS technology and Nagra 2 encryption.

Echostar makes the hardware currently but licences the encryption system. Anyone can make hardware; in fact Echostar sources out to RCA/Thomson, JVC etc.

Crispy
Old 2005-11-07, 11:17 PM   #10
hugh
Member #1

Okay so then I misread, I read as dumping the installed receiver installed base.
Old 2005-11-08, 02:31 AM   #11
unreal1080p

Default Tivo and the Canadian market

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
Okay so then I misread, I read as dumping the installed receiver installed base.
No need to dump anything.
TIVO is an O/S and a flawless one at that.
They have the BEST guide data information BAR NONE.
It is always accurate (first runs & repeats) extremely detailed (original air date, actors, full detailed description of episodes including the title of the episode etc...)
and, to top it all off, they give you 14 days worth!

It can be used on any type of hardware (dbs,dss,cable whatever). The current receivers would remain and still work. Now let's see if one of the Canadian Satellite providers is smart enough to snatch a contract with them.

Unfortunately the cable provider in my area is Videotron and, even if by some freakish accident of nature TIVO fell on there lap, it would be a cold day in Hell before i migrate to that 2 bit pathetic excuse for a provider... i think i'd rather stop watching tv alltogether (waiting a year for the shows to come out on BlueRay Disc would be less painfull then having to endure watching tv via Videotron).
Old 2005-11-08, 03:45 PM   #12
Nuje
Veteran

Don't hold back, unreal1080p....feel free to tell us how you REALLY feel about Videotron
Old 2006-01-08, 08:51 PM   #13
Corrigador

Default TIVO with expressvu 3100

Does anyone know how I can get TIVO to interact with My receiver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman
TiVo is now poised to officially enter the Canadian market - story at http://www.canada.com/entertainment/...f-1caf88454192

Dare we hope that this will persuade Expressvu to:
- expand the program guide beyond 48 hours?
- improve the quality of the program guide?
- establish TiVo equivalent "name-based" recording as currently on the Dish equivalent receiver?

I love the 9200 but it really ticks me off how much better it could be w/o these restrictions.

Regarding the quality of the guide info - here's an example -the cast list on new episodes of NCIS continue to list an actor who were killed off the show last year. Who the heck have they hired to do these listings? Until they fix this I doubt they could really implement succesful NBR.
Old 2006-01-12, 09:50 PM   #14
unreal1080p

Thumbs down Videotron Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje
Don't hold back, unreal1080p....feel free to tell us how you REALLY feel about Videotron

If Videotron (and other cable company's in Canada for that matter) supported cablecard, then we could get the NEW TIVO Series 3 Dual Tuner HD PVR with external Sata port for additional storage capacity and a FULL 14 Day Program Guide see link bellow:

http://www.tivolovers.com/252572.html

Even IF Videotron decided to support cablecard, i still would'nt go with them because THEY SUCK !!! Latest example: Videotron only has like 8 HD channels to begin with and they suddenly decided to DROP Discovery HD.
Why you ask: Because Discovery HD moved to FULL 24 Hours a day HD they apparently raised there licensing fee so Videotron dropped them like a hot potatoe. There is simply no end to how much Videotron sucks. I'm sure if i lived in Kazakstan, i could get a better tv provider.

Last edited by unreal1080p; 2006-01-12 at 09:58 PM.
Old 2006-01-13, 01:19 AM   #15
HammerJoe

I think this is another "the grass looks always greener on the other side" threads...

Everybody wants a Tivo simply because they can't have it.
Once it is here, it's just another pvr...